Nav Question ?

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
How does the Mazda navigation get updates for new roads, closed roads, new developments, etc?

New maps aprox. every 6 months.
you are entitled for 3 years of free updates after you get the car.
The developer company behind the Nav system makes those updates. I think its "Nav N Go".

I believe the dealership updates the SD card used for Navigation with the new maps. I think you get free updates for a few years, after that you have to pay.

You can dowload them as well.
using mazda update software and the sd card. You need computer with card reader. It recognizes the sdcard and car VIN and checks if you are in the 3 year period. Thats for 2016+ cars.
For older models I dont know.

I got my CX 5 last week, checked for updates last night and there was a few available.

How does the Mazda navigation get updates for new roads, closed roads, new developments, etc?

Mazda contracts with a mapping company to provide the roads and other features on the Nav map. They used to use Tom Tom, but switched to another company in the new infotainment system starting in 2016. NavTec maybe? Microsoft? Google?

Those companies use a wide variety of sources: Aerial photos, subdivision plats, or even driving the roads to get gps coordinates.

Last edited:
New maps aprox. every 6 months.
you are entitled for 3 years of free updates after you get the car.
The developer company behind the Nav system makes those updates. I think its "Nav N Go".

SO when I take it in for an oil change they should be able to do the updates then? It would of been nice if the sales guy had mentioned that.

In my experience, they don*t automatically update the Nav cards when you buy the car. They usually removed from the car and stored inside at the dealer to prevent them from being stolen. When you buy the car, they take the card out and install it, but I don*t think they update it. You get free updates for 3 years from the date you buy the car, but I*ve always updated them myself using my laptop. Never had the dealer do it.

Don't have the dealer do it. It takes a frigging hour.

Back