Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabin Filter

Registered Member

Red face Cabin Filter

Looks like 18 months is too long between changes here in S Texas with oak trees hanging over the driveway? This is just how it came out of my 2014 CX-5 today when I finally got around to changing it. Note to self...change cabin filter in 6 months.
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Cabin Filter

Quote Originally Posted by SA Bill View Post
    Looks like 18 months is too long between changes here in S Texas with oak trees hanging over the driveway? This is just how it came out of my 2014 CX-5 today when I finally got around to changing it. Note to self...change cabin filter in 6 months.
    Bill

FYI OEM cabin filter from factory is charcoal filter and it looks dirty even if itís new. And the OEM cabin filter available at US Mazda dealer is NOT charcoal.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    FYI OEM cabin filter from factory is charcoal filter and it looks dirty even if it*s new. And the OEM cabin filter available at US Mazda dealer is NOT charcoal.
    My 2017 GTR with less than 8000, and less than a year looked like the picture in this thread. There is no need to get an OEM filter. There are plenty of decent and cheaper filters in the market. And don't have your dealer replace and install. It is a ripoff. It could be done by yourself in fewer than two minutes.

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    FYI OEM cabin filter from factory is charcoal filter and it looks dirty even if it*s new. And the OEM cabin filter available at US Mazda dealer is NOT charcoal.
    Yeah, It got me when I checked my filter at 8,000 miles. I thought it looked so dirty so I rushed out and bought a new one. Then I find out they come black from the factory. Unfortunately I found out after I trashed the original one.

Registered Member

Yeah...the new filter came from Amazon and it has the charcoal.
    Bill

If you park your car outside, especially under a tree, set the air mode to "recirculate" BEFORE shutting it off, to keep stuff from falling inside... it'll help make your filter last longer, if you like driving around with "fresh air" mode all the time
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT
    '16 BMYFS AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Since I am garaged, I replace once a year. But if I wasn't, probably every 6 months.

You can get an aftermarket charcoal cabin air filter on Amazon for ~$10.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 85k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

I bought the OEM aldehyde filter from japan... it's expensive, but works way better than any of that charcoal crap you can find here... it removes not only odor, but pollutants from the air... you get what you pay, and it works... I've been using this type of filter in my protege for over 10 years now
    https://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/.../990408ea.html
    trivia: this filter design was women led R&D, according to a ford/mazda ad I saw years ago

both my mazdas are parked in the garage, and the 3 is daily driven... I usually use recirculated air mode, and finally replaced it this year when it reached 30k miles, but over 3 years old... it had some dirt/leaves in it, but nothing compared to the pic posted in this thread
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

I'm not sure there are many aldehydes in my area.

OTOH...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ence/aldehydes

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Yeah change filter every 6 months, goes along with change brake fluid every year and change engine oil every 750 miles. That and change tires every 10K miles and finally when I retire my CX5 and compare running costs to my neighbor's X5 - it comes out even

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Quote Originally Posted by ralf11 View Post
    I'm not sure there are many aldehydes in my area.

OTOH...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ence/aldehydes

live in a big city, and most certainly you'll have it
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Yeah change filter every 6 months, goes along with change brake fluid every year and change engine oil every 750 miles. That and change tires every 10K miles and finally when I retire my CX5 and compare running costs to my neighbor's X5 - it comes out even

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    live in a big city, and most certainly you'll have it
    I don't. "All" our pollution is organic.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda 6 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    I bought the OEM aldehyde filter from japan... it's expensive, but works way better than any of that charcoal crap you can find here... it removes not only odor, but pollutants from the air... you get what you pay, and it works... I've been using this type of filter in my protege for over 10 years now
    https://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/.../990408ea.html
    trivia: this filter design was women led R&D, according to a ford/mazda ad I saw years ago

both my mazdas are parked in the garage, and the 3 is daily driven... I usually use recirculated air mode, and finally replaced it this year when it reached 30k miles, but over 3 years old... it had some dirt/leaves in it, but nothing compared to the pic posted in this thread
    do you have a link to that filter?

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

That is ridiculous. It looks like there is very little accumulation of dust and fine stuff, just some really large things of a scale the filter shouldn't have to deal with. There should be a grill, or mesh pre-filter.

If that were mine, I'd probably slap it on my knee, or blow it out with compressed air and put it back in. It doesn't look dirty aside from those big pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast