Finally drove a CX-9. Impressions and questions...

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Went and drove a '18 GT CX-9 today. Basically mirrored everything everyone said: Front cabin space is tight, not a lot of side-to-side leg room, seats are laterally snug, and you have to get used to your right leg not being able to splay outward. But, what fun to drive!! Handles very well, dead-quiet cabin, and great pickup. Here are my questions:
1. The HUD adaptive driving display can be turned off, right?
2. What's the prognosis on the tight cabin and seats on long trips? Anyone drive for a day (or longer) straight and been comfortable enough to talk about it?
3. The cabin colors were 'interesting' - parchment-colored seats but everything else was black (dash, console, headliner, etc...). Is this typical for this car?

I think that's pretty much it for now. Thanks.

1. Yes but it doesnt remember the settings and must be turned off everytime you start the car. You may have success with adjusting it all the way up or down until it is out of sight for your driving position. Personne i love the HUD and it is why i got a GT over the previous trim, but some people dont like it.
2. Varied opinion on this subject, i find them very confortable but others have a hard time with them.
3. This is a special order only interior color and not available for all exterior color. This is a pretty rare color trim, standard seat color is black.

1--I really like the HUD. Do try it correctly centered for your seating position before you decide that it isn't right for you.
2--I've made several all-day drives. I like it. The seat bottom cushion is on the firm side. I use an inflatable seat cushion. On the other hand, too firm isn't as bad as too soft and sagged-out.

yourl & PTguy - I'll see how much they come down in price. It's been there for 3 months and I think they're motivated to sell. I'm thinking I'll walk out for under $33k, which isn't bad. Don't know if they'll deal much lower than that but I'll see what they come back with on a price this week. (Wife still wants to drive a few other cars - Subaru and a Pilot - but I don't think either of those will compare: Subarus don't do much for me and I think the Pilot will handle like a swaying land-yacht, though I could be wrong. :)

Re the HUD: You can define how much or how little you want displayed. The minimum is speed, but you can add lane monitoring, nav information, speed limit monitoring, smart cruise control distance monitoring, and so on. I can't imagine how or why anybody would want to turn off speed, though, as it is really unobtrusive once you get used to it. I never look on my speedo any more!

I drove one for for the first, second and third time yesterday. Thought the seats were excellent. Car was very impressive, so much that I*m now trying to purchase mine. I had read mixed reviews on the seat comfort and tight space, for me it seemed like a perfect fit. This is replacing a corvette I just sold, that*s about as tight a space there is. Especially loved the HUD, no need to take your eyes off the road. My wife was equally impressed.

I really like the HUD when using the nav system. It's nice to not have to look at the nav screen. All the info is right in front of you.

1. It can be turned off but I think you have to do it each time. But honestly, it works great and is useful.

2. I purchased my 2018 last January and have over 20K miles - so lots of long trips! I have no issues with the seat comfort (200 lbs, 6'1"). But each person is different and you will have to see how you like it.

3. I think that is correct. You have a choice of black, parchment or Nappa red. I have the Nappa but like the parchment.

1. It can be turned off but I think you have to do it each time. But honestly, it works great and is useful.

2. I purchased my 2018 last January and have over 20K miles - so lots of long trips! I have no issues with the seat comfort (200 lbs, 6'1"). But each person is different and you will have to see how you like it.

3. I think that is correct. You have a choice of black, parchment or Nappa red. I have the Nappa but like the parchment.

dougal - Regarding #3: Is the default color of the parchment only on the seats and some door trim, with everything else on the interior being black OR is there an option for additional items being parchment, like headliner, sun visors, carpet, etc...? Both of my Acuras have parchment interiors and that color pretty much covers everything. Thanks!
BTW, if the black headliner, trim, and carpet are pretty much the default color, I can live with that but I was wondering what sort of combinations were possible on the interior. (I get the feeling that it's a cost-savings issue for Mazda if everything but the seats and door trim is black. Also looks very 'sporty').

dougal - Regarding #3: Is the default color of the parchment only on the seats and some door trim, with everything else on the interior being black OR is there an option for additional items being parchment, like headliner, sun visors, carpet, etc...? Both of my Acuras have parchment interiors and that color pretty much covers everything. Thanks!
BTW, if the black headliner, trim, and carpet are pretty much the default color, I can live with that but I was wondering what sort of combinations were possible on the interior. (I get the feeling that it's a cost-savings issue for Mazda if everything but the seats and door trim is black. Also looks very 'sporty').

No, that is it. I think they tried to keep things black that would get dirty quickly or for cost reasons.

The parchment color is an optional color, and I believe it was only available on the GT and lower trims. From what I recall, the parchment color only applied to the seats. The door panels and headliner are black on all trims. The Signature is the only trim that gets the nappa leather. Just a note, the black headliner is very, very easy to clean. I just take a damp microfiber cloth and rub it gently against the fabric to get rid of fingerprints and other light grime.

ADD (aka HUD) can be turned off, but it will always turn back on by default whenever you turn the car off. Try moving it all the way up or down to keep it out of view. If that doesn't work, you can cover the projection lens on the dash with a piece of black posterboard or something.

I've got a 2018 Sig with just over 17k miles (28k kms). I've taken it on one 12-hour road trip (swapping drivers every three hours between me and my wife). We've also taken it on various shorter road trips (1.5 hrs to 3 hrs). My wife and I have no complaints. We found the seats quite comfortable. I'm about 210lbs, 5'8", medium build.

Last edited:
I can't tell for american color trim, but here they are for the 2018 canadian trims:

GS- Black cloth seat, black dash, light coloured roof liner
GS-L -1 Black leather seat, black dash, light coloured roof liner (available with all exterior color)
GS-L -2 Beige Leather seat, black dash, light coloured roof liner (only available with white and mica exterior color)
GT 1 - Black leather seat, black dash with ebony painted centre panel and door switch panel, black roof liner (available with all exterior color)
GT -2 Beige leather seat, black dash, black roof liner (available with white, mica, red and machine grey exterior color)
Signature - brown nappa leather seat, black dash with brown centre panel and door switch panel, rosewood trims, black roof liner (only available in white, black, silver and machine grey.)

Funny how as soon as something is "out of the ordinary" it becomes a cost saving reasons on all the threads;) I think the "2 tones" look of beige and black, especially with the door inserts looks way better than a monochrome all beige or all black. Just like how on the higher trims, Mazda breaks up the color with the ebony painted or the brown centre panel on the GT and signature trim. But yes there are no other options for more beige items, so unfortunately those who love all beige interior are left out on this one.

Of course, I am biased, because my 2 last car had that 2 tone interior.

1. The HUD adaptive driving display can be turned off, right?
I don't know because I would never consider turning it off. It's one of the things I like best about the vehicle and will need on my next one.

2. What's the prognosis on the tight cabin and seats on long trips? Anyone drive for a day (or longer) straight and been comfortable enough to talk about it?
My wife and I just returned from a 6,800 mile/1 month driving trip. At one point we drove 9 hours per day for 3 days straight covering 1,700 miles. I'm 5'11"/190 and she's 5'1"/130. Both of us remarked both during and after the trip how good the seats turned out to be. They are not 'cushy' buy they are supportive and comfortable for long stints - for both of us. The only part of the 'snug' cabin that bothers me is where my right knee falls - where the padded leather strip on the console meets the hard plastic above it. I've become accustomed to it but it's not ideal. It's not an issue for my wife.

3. The cabin colors were 'interesting' - parchment-colored seats but everything else was black (dash, console, headliner, etc...). Is this typical for this car?
Yes. I think the black is more 'modern' that the more traditional all beige interiors. It has grown on me. If I were to change anything it would be the glossy black interior trim which will show micro-scratches over time. There are overlays available if it becomes to bothersome.

Last edited:
I can't answer 1 or 3 since I have the Touring model with black leather interior. No HUD in the Touring.

As for the seats, I am coming from a 2016 CX-5 and our 2019 CX-9 has objectively smaller seats. I like the leather itself, the problem has to do with the bolstering. There are other members with a similar stated build to mine that have no issue, so not sure if they aren't as picky or overlook the seats due to the driving characteristics. I am 6' even and 195 pounds with an athletic frame. I can't get my upper back all the way into the seat. The bolsters are so narrow at the top where your body is widest that they push me out or dig into my upper back. I thought I would get used to the seating position, but alas it still bothers me after almost 2 months with the car. I have to sit forward in the seat which is tiring. On test drives I didn't seem to mind it much although I noticed it was smaller, but it became bothersome on my first moderate trip (about 20 miles). A shame since the car outperforms similar vehicles in most driving aspects.

Some have stated the seats became more comfortable over time, so I am hoping that happens, although I am not optimistic . I know the leather will wear in, but I doubt the bolsters will change....

Try sitting all the way back, if your back fits into the bolsters then I would say go for it, the car is pretty sweet otherwise, although I have noticed a rattle now at 1,000 miles. Seems to happen sporadically and from what I can tell its in or around the headliner. Its not something that affects the functionality so I can live with it, although I know this can drive some folks crazy.

My wife is 5' 8" 140 pounds and she has no issues with the seats so its her daily drive. We bought on lease so will probably end up trading it in 33 months. To me the seats seem to be made for smaller individuals, although bigger folks on here have said they work somehow. To me there is a difference between working and being good. I wouldn't say seats are the strong suite of current gen CX-9. If you want the benchmark for seats sit in a Volvo XC60, those seats are terrific, even in base trim, but steering feel and physical HVAC controls were important and the XC60 is lacking in those categories.

As a point of reference there are other members that have also taken issue with the seats so its definitely a real thing. I have received feedback from passenger's as well that the seats seem "small". I would rather a car with seats too large than too small. Feels like I am riding in coach. YMMV

Good luck.

I can't answer 1 or 3 since I have the Touring model with black leather interior. No HUD in the Touring.

As for the seats, I am coming from a 2016 CX-5 and our 2019 CX-9 has objectively smaller seats. I like the leather itself, the problem has to do with the bolstering. There are other members with a similar stated build to mine that have no issue, so not sure if they aren't as picky or overlook the seats due to the driving characteristics. I am 6' even and 195 pounds with an athletic frame. I can't get my upper back all the way into the seat. The bolsters are so narrow at the top where your body is widest that they push me out or dig into my upper back. I thought I would get used to the seating position, but alas it still bothers me after almost 2 months with the car. I have to sit forward in the seat which is tiring. On test drives I didn't seem to mind it much although I noticed it was smaller, but it became bothersome on my first moderate trip (about 20 miles). A shame since the car outperforms similar vehicles in most driving aspects.

Some have stated the seats became more comfortable over time, so I am hoping that happens, although I am not optimistic . I know the leather will wear in, but I doubt the bolsters will change....

Try sitting all the way back, if your back fits into the bolsters then I would say go for it, the car is pretty sweet otherwise, although I have noticed a rattle now at 1,000 miles. Seems to happen sporadically and from what I can tell its in or around the headliner. Its not something that affects the functionality so I can live with it, although I know this can drive some folks crazy.

My wife is 5' 8" 140 pounds and she has no issues with the seats so its her daily drive. We bought on lease so will probably end up trading it in 33 months. To me the seats seem to be made for smaller individuals, although bigger folks on here have said they work somehow. To me there is a difference between working and being good. I wouldn't say seats are the strong suite of current gen CX-9. If you want the benchmark for seats sit in a Volvo XC60, those seats are terrific, even in base trim, but steering feel and physical HVAC controls were important and the XC60 is lacking in those categories.

As a point of reference there are other members that have also taken issue with the seats so its definitely a real thing. I have received feedback from passenger's as well that the seats seem "small". I would rather a car with seats too large than too small. Feels like I am riding in coach. YMMV

Good luck.

Thanks Regular Guy. Sorry the seats don't fit you that well. Being uncomfortable can suck, especially on long drives. I'll have to really think hard when I go back and take the car for another test drive on Saturday. I'm sure that leather will stretch a bit over time so I'll have to see if the bolsters are a problem. From what I recall, they weren't but I'm 6'0" and 165 lbs. so that might be a factor. Amazing that the CX-5 has smaller seats than the CX-9. Not sure what the logic of that is...

Give the seat a better try next time, and maybe ask the salesman if you can take it for a longer drive. I am 6 185lbs and have no issues with the seats, so as regular guy mentioned, it is really a matter of personal preferences, but it is true that other had issues with them so definitely make sure you are comfortable in them.

Give the seat a better try next time, and maybe ask the salesman if you can take it for a longer drive. I am 6 185lbs and have no issues with the seats, so as regular guy mentioned, it is really a matter of personal preferences, but it is true that other had issues with them so definitely make sure you are comfortable in them.

The seats are firm, so you dont get that feeling you sink in, like Subaru seats. However I find this preferable as you get less fatigue while driving. Its definitely unique compared to other manufacturers but found the seat the most comfortable in a natural position of all the cars I test drove. I do know with all my cars I have tuned position. One simple trick is to space the front of the seat up with washers placed under the front seat rails, remove bolt inset 1/4 thick of spacers tighten down. Youd be amazed what a little rake can do for extra thigh support if needed.

Seat Comfort

We've had our 2019 Touring (don't like sunroofs) for 3 months now, 3200 miles. Done (2) 2*450 mile round trips, and very happy with the car. I'm 6'2" 175lb, but my shoulders are just a little rounded forward, not athletically square, and after reading the previous comments, I've been paying more attention, I find the upper bolsters do not push my shoulders forward, barely touch them. I've moved the seat max. up and back for best leg comfort, it's great on those long trips.

Also, being basically a skinny guy, my right knee doesn't hit the console at all, but I can see where (no prejudice intended, here, merely trying to be factual) heavier people would be more likely to push their legs to the side and hit the center console - you'll just have to see for your own case.

We got the parchment interior, which includes the seats, headliner down to the sill line, and half-door panels from the armrest up to the window-sill trim; all else is black. Looks sort-of 'modern' given the very limited choices, and a lot less gloomy than the all-black.

Latest posts

Back