2017~2024 Tune for CX-5?

NeverEnough

:
2024 CX-5 Signature, 2019 30th Miata, 2018 Hellcat, 2009 Mazda6
Any decent tunes out there for the CX-5? (Touring trim)
Just looking for a handheld deal like the Cobb AP

Any experience with their tunes?

He's had one for going on 4 years and highly recommends them.

I don't have a tune on a Mazda, but after speaking with Mat @ovtune, I also recommend them and understand exactly what they do to make these little engines come alive.

What sort of improvements could one expect to get from a tune like this?

Number One, the most improvement comes from having more hp/torque available at lower rpms vs the sharp increase that you get at the factory peak rpm.

Number One, the most improvement comes from having more hp/torque available at lower rpms vs the sharp increase that you get at the factory peak rpm.

"Sharp" is putting it mildly. At $500, this sounds like a great way to get a better response from that engine. I'm going to strongly consider this if I decide to keep mine when the lease is up.

I assume it voids the powertrain warranty. Anybody know for sure?

I assume it voids the powertrain warranty. Anybody know for sure?

Tagged for a placeholder.

I asked this question in a different thread on this subject and did not get a response.
I wonder the same thing on suspension mods.

Can the dealer tell you've done a Tune?
Is there a way to "Undo" so the dealer would not know you had done a Tune?

I asked this question in a different thread on this subject and did not get a response.

On my other cars, I reflash the ECU if needed to take in to warranty work, they can't tell. On another car, I bought a spare ECU to tune and put the stocker in the drawer just in case.

On the Mazda, idk, never tuned one, just know what goes on when you do, haven't looked at the interface...

With that being said, I really don't care, if/when a new GTR/Siggie shows up in my garage, I plan to tune it instantly...

It is tempting.

Very tempting for a lot of folks I would imagine. These things run rich as hell from the factory for an extra safety blanket on detonation. There's definitely power there to be had with a lean out and timing, still keeping a safety blanket, of course. Tweak a few other things, and hold boost constant to redline (I'd probably extend that some too), and this thing will pull like a raped ape. I don't know the exact number, but it has to taper off boost at the top end 4psi or so I would imagine...

I also would like to be able to use the sport mode button to activate the map. That way you could still run 87 on the factory map if you chose to do so. 87 octane days are over with a tune, I wouldn't tune anything with less than 91 octane. I don't know if I would go that far with this thing, but a 93 map with methanol injection would be sweet...

I've been exclusively running 91 octane for the last 8 tanks.

The limited data I've got shows it gives me some MPG improvement (so takes the edge off the increased cost), and there are folks who say that the change in timing helps to reduce oil dilution risk (others here disagree.) Plus there are a few back roads here where I go in manual mode and wind the thing out.

I like the idea of using the sport mode button to toggle between modes...if you want to change shift points, use the manual shift.

My problem is I'm a low-risk guy, and would want to wait for the warranty to expire before doing this. Although I may change my mind. This would make a great Christmas gift to me!

I've been exclusively running 91 octane for the last 8 tanks.

The limited data I've got shows it gives me some MPG improvement (so takes the edge off the increased cost), and there are folks who say that the change in timing helps to reduce oil dilution risk (others here disagree.) Plus there are a few back roads here where I go in manual mode and wind the thing out.

I like the idea of using the sport mode button to toggle between modes...if you want to change shift points, use the manual shift.

My problem is I'm a low-risk guy, and would want to wait for the warranty to expire before doing this. Although I may change my mind. This would make a great Christmas gift to me!

You might be interested in a Sprint Booster or Pedal Commander. Either one provides improved throttle response. Both are easy to install (which means they're also easy to uninstall in the event of a dealer visit). I've got the Sprint Booster on my CX-9, and while I haven't gotten around to testing 0-60 times yet, it does make the car feel much more responsive during my daily commutes. IMO, it's perfect if you want to scratch that itch while you're still under warranty, lol.

After installing Eibach lowering springs on my 2017 GT, I took it to the dealer for an alignment check. Dealer was happy to do it, said I did a great job installing the springs myself, was impressed how nice the vehicle looked lowered, and sent me on my way. The tech said they regularly install aftermarket performance parts on customer cars, but didn't say anything about warranty implications. I would imagine (and would expect) installing, for example, a turbo system on a non-turbo car would void your power train warranty. But on the other hand, if I took my vehicle to the dealer for a just an oil change and NOT any type of warranty work, and they told me my warranty is void because they noticed I installed lowering springs, I would promptly tell them to go F themselves. It really depends on the dealer, based on my years of reading about accounts of this type with dealers.

It really depends on the dealer, based on my years of reading about accounts of this type with dealers.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I sort of thought that it might depend on the specific dealer.

Man, I really want to do a tune and install handling options on this car.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I sort of thought that it might depend on the specific dealer.

Man, I really want to do a tune and install handling options on this car.

IDK if they still do or not, but a lot of dealers used to sell Racing Beat aftermarket products right in the showroom. I do know of several dealers, Mazda and non-Mazda, that currently sell lowering springs etc. In order to void the warranty, they'd have to prove that your installed products caused the car to fail on it's own, and technically they can't...

I know this thread is old, but I bought a 2019 CX-5 (non turbo) a year and a half ago. I thoroughly scoured the Internet and contacted a few different online tuning sellers since then and still have yet to find anyone that support the USA 2.5L 187HP engine. You will notice most say they are for the 190, or 192HP. These are typically slightly different engine models for the same car but for different countries. Vivid Racing has them and had me send photos of the numbers on my ECM box and they said those tunes wouldn't work as it's a different model ECM box on my US 2.5L. A year later, still finding nothing available.

This shouldn't be surprising as this isn't a model vehicle targeted at the Performance sector on the market so there's not going to be a low of demand. A Mazda 3/Miata/6 moreso, but a mid-range, mid-size sub $35K SUV? Not so much.

I'm hoping maybe I've overlooked something?

The $200-$300 pedal chips are a waste of money in my opinion unless you just want another gadget to play with to connect to your car. Put your car in Sport Mode so it will raise the shift points and just press your pedal quicker. Otherwise the pedal response chips all they are doing is giving you a psychological feeling that your car is higher performance because it accelerates quicker under the same range of pedal movement. The car won't go 0-60 any faster when you stomp on it with the pedal chip.

I was just thinking about this and found a chip for our cars that claims a 30hp gain for the NA engine.

The chip costs. $80 bucks. Since my car will be off warranty I am thinking about getting one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back