SD Nsvagation Card VS WAZE

Does anyone have the SD navigation card in their vehicle? Is it just redundant if you have WAZE or does it offer any benefits? Is there any visual map information not supplied in WAZE. Also does it provide a straight down view or the perspective view of WAZE? And would one have better coverage of rural roads, dirt roads etc than the other?

The only advantage the Mazda Nav has is that next turn info will display on the Heads-Up Display. Waze does not display on the HUD. That said, WAZE is so much better IMO that I have not used the OEM NAV more than once or twice.

I agree with @pcrdoza. The only other benefit to any in-car nav system is dead reckoning. If you lose your satellite signal (think about if you've ever gone thru a long tunnel), the in-car system uses input from the car's speedometer and steering system to keep showing where your car is, with relative accuracy. In Waze and other phone apps, if your phone loses the GPS signal, many times the app just gives up and keeps showing your car at the last position it had a signal.

Personally, except when Waze was in a glitch phase before Google pushed out a software update, I've never really seen this be much of an issue; more theoretical. But--it COULD be problematic, depending where you are traveling.

Does anyone have the SD navigation card in their vehicle? Is it just redundant if you have WAZE or does it offer any benefits? Is there any visual map information not supplied in WAZE. Also does it provide a straight down view or the perspective view of WAZE? And would one have better coverage of rural roads, dirt roads etc than the other?

If you have the SD card, the HUD displays traffic speed limits and STOP signs.

I agree with @pcrdoza. The only other benefit to any in-car nav system is dead reckoning. If you lose your satellite signal (think about if you've ever gone thru a long tunnel), the in-car system uses input from the car's speedometer and steering system to keep showing where your car is, with relative accuracy. In Waze and other phone apps, if your phone loses the GPS signal, many times the app just gives up and keeps showing your car at the last position it had a signal.

It is recommended by Apple that manufactures that add CarPlay support expose satellite and speed information to the phone for this exact reason. I am not sure if Mazda did this. It is technically only required by Apple for wireless CarPlay.

I*ll give my opposing view. While it isn*t perfect, and has some annoying features, I prefer the Mazda nag system to Waze. I like that the info displays on the HUD, and I especially like the upcoming exit info when on the highways as I use that a lot for making decisions on where/when to stop. Have no comment on the voice part as I have that turned off since I*ve always hated voice commands, especially when it keeps telling me to make a U-turn when I pull off at an exit for a break.

dead reckoning still works with CarPlay... in other words, Waze, Google Maps, and Apple Maps... once your phone is plugged in, and CarPlay is loaded, the car's GPS receiver takes over what's on the phone because it receives the GPS signals better (it's much bigger)

just try it yourself... go park your car deep within a multi story parking garage... if dead reckoning didn't work, your position on Google Maps would stop or go to some crazy place... but it doesn't!

the lack exit info stuff is a lesser problem now with iOS 13, and eventually, the lack of HUD display stuff, thanks to CarPlay improvements with iOS 13... Apple has opened up more flexibility to developers on iOS 13, to allow better integration with cars

Back