Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD Nsvagation Card VS WAZE

Donated: $25

2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico

SD Nsvagation Card VS WAZE

Does anyone have the SD navigation card in their vehicle? Is it just redundant if you have WAZE or does it offer any benefits? Is there any visual map information not supplied in WAZE. Also does it provide a straight down view or the perspective view of WAZE? And would one have better coverage of rural roads, dirt roads etc than the other?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

The only advantage the Mazda Nav has is that next turn info will display on the Heads-Up Display. Waze does not display on the HUD. That said, WAZE is so much better IMO that I have not used the OEM NAV more than once or twice.

Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    The only advantage the Mazda Nav has is that next turn info will display on the Heads-Up Display. Waze does not display on the HUD. That said, WAZE is so much better IMO that I have not used the OEM NAV more than once or twice.
    I agree with pcardoza on this!

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

with the updated carplay it might be possible to have direction displayed on the HUD

"Car makers can make CarPlay show up elsewhere
    Not one that you or we would have control over, but Apple has been working behind the scenes to allow car makers to implement CarPlay elsewhere in the car. Either on a second screen like a dashboard cluster or HUD, but on different shaped screens too.

Apple has also included support for car makers to use the native microphones in the car rather than Siri having to rely on the mic on your iPhone or Apple Watch."

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/new...play-on-ios-13

Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Young-nyc View Post
    with the updated carplay it might be possible to have direction displayed on the HUD

"Car makers can make CarPlay show up elsewhere
    Not one that you or we would have control over, but Apple has been working behind the scenes to allow car makers to implement CarPlay elsewhere in the car. Either on a second screen like a dashboard cluster or HUD, but on different shaped screens too.

Apple has also included support for car makers to use the native microphones in the car rather than Siri having to rely on the mic on your iPhone or Apple Watch."

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/new...play-on-ios-13
    That would be awesome!

Donated: $25

2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico

Well I have had a chance to do a comparison and indeed WAZE beats the Mazda SD card in most areas. In rural areas there is no road identification apart fro "rural road". WAZE though not complete does better. The only advantage of the native Mazda system is that it relies on satellite connection rather than cel phone provider and the need for cel signal which can be absent.

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    The Mazda NAV will also give you verbal directions through the speakers.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
    Well I have had a chance to do a comparison and indeed WAZE beats the Mazda SD card in most areas. In rural areas there is no road identification apart fro "rural road". WAZE though not complete does better. The only advantage of the native Mazda system is that it relies on satellite connection rather than cel phone provider and the need for cel signal which can be absent.
    If the map is cached, Waze can work without data plan on a phone or cell signal. All Navi apps use the phone's gps.

I has a phone without data plan. Loaded up the map using wifi before I leave for work. just no live traffic updates
    Last edited by Jet; 09-07-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Registered Member

Mazda 2016 CX-5

WAZE, Google Maps and Apple Maps are ALL better than the native Mazda nav, they all provide verbal directions through the speakers and the new CarPlay display is awesome. I*m running iOS 13.1 public beta

Registered Member

I don't know if its a setting that I'm missing or what but....the SDcard/Native Nav does not turn down the music when the voice guidance prompts chime in. Anyone else have that problem?

When I use ACP to navigate the music turns down, cuts out from the left side speakers, and then the voice prompts come in. This sequence makes it very easy to hear the turn by turn instructions. The way the SDcard/native nav operates makes it very hard to hear the voice prompts. IMO.

Registered Member
    Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyVee View Post
    I don't know if its a setting that I'm missing or what but....the SDcard/Native Nav does not turn down the music when the voice guidance prompts chime in. Anyone else have that problem?

When I use ACP to navigate the music turns down, cuts out from the left side speakers, and then the voice prompts come in. This sequence makes it very easy to hear the turn by turn instructions. The way the SDcard/native nav operates makes it very hard to hear the voice prompts. IMO.
    Mine seems to turn down the music the same little bit regardless of what level the volume starts at, meaning if I have it at a moderate volume, the fixed reduction is sufficient for me to hear the directions. But if I have the stereo cranked, that fixed reduction is insufficient for me to hear the directions over the "barely reduced" volume.

At least, that's been my impression with my limited use.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Mine seems to turn down the music the same little bit regardless of what level the volume starts at, meaning if I have it at a moderate volume, the fixed reduction is sufficient for me to hear the directions. But if I have the stereo cranked, that fixed reduction is insufficient for me to hear the directions over the "barely reduced" volume.

At least, that's been my impression with my limited use.
    Thanks for your input!

You know what....since you put it that way...that's EXACTLY what I experienced this evening. I'm going to play around with it some more tomorrow.

OP...sorry for the thread jack! I'll be sure to start my own thread next time!
    Last edited by ChuckyVee; 09-07-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Registered Member
    Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyVee View Post
    Thanks for your input!

You know what....since you put it that way...that's EXACTLY what I experienced this evening. I'm going to play around with it some more tomorrow.

OP...sorry for the thread jack! I'll be sure to start my own thread next time!
    If you find a solution, let me know.

I haven't messed with it because I don't really use NAV all that much.

I had one instance where the directions never started...not on the HUD and not by voice. I rebooted the system and that did not fix it. So I pulled over to restart the car, and as soon as I took the slightest turn away from my destination to do so, the system "woke up" and the voice said "recalculating route." Directions were then given, on the HUD and by voice.

Registered Member

Yessir! Will do!

Thatís a weird little anomaly...hopefully just an isolated occurance!

Donated: $5

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

On my '16 there are 2 ways to adjust Nav volume. One is in the Settings portion of the Nav menu and the other is to adjust the volume knob next to the command knob (not the volume on the steering wheel) while the Nav is speaking. Maybe one of these will help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast