SD Nsvagation Card VS WAZE

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Does anyone have the SD navigation card in their vehicle? Is it just redundant if you have WAZE or does it offer any benefits? Is there any visual map information not supplied in WAZE. Also does it provide a straight down view or the perspective view of WAZE? And would one have better coverage of rural roads, dirt roads etc than the other?

The only advantage the Mazda Nav has is that next turn info will display on the Heads-Up Display. Waze does not display on the HUD. That said, WAZE is so much better IMO that I have not used the OEM NAV more than once or twice.

The only advantage the Mazda Nav has is that next turn info will display on the Heads-Up Display. Waze does not display on the HUD. That said, WAZE is so much better IMO that I have not used the OEM NAV more than once or twice.

I agree with pcardoza on this!

with the updated carplay it might be possible to have direction displayed on the HUD

"Car makers can make CarPlay show up elsewhere
Not one that you or we would have control over, but Apple has been working behind the scenes to allow car makers to implement CarPlay elsewhere in the car. Either on a second screen like a dashboard cluster or HUD, but on different shaped screens too.

Apple has also included support for car makers to use the native microphones in the car rather than Siri having to rely on the mic on your iPhone or Apple Watch."

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/apple/148501-apple-carplay-on-ios-13

with the updated carplay it might be possible to have direction displayed on the HUD

"Car makers can make CarPlay show up elsewhere
Not one that you or we would have control over, but Apple has been working behind the scenes to allow car makers to implement CarPlay elsewhere in the car. Either on a second screen like a dashboard cluster or HUD, but on different shaped screens too.

Apple has also included support for car makers to use the native microphones in the car rather than Siri having to rely on the mic on your iPhone or Apple Watch."

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/apple/148501-apple-carplay-on-ios-13

That would be awesome!

Well I have had a chance to do a comparison and indeed WAZE beats the Mazda SD card in most areas. In rural areas there is no road identification apart fro "rural road". WAZE though not complete does better. The only advantage of the native Mazda system is that it relies on satellite connection rather than cel phone provider and the need for cel signal which can be absent.

The Mazda NAV will also give you verbal directions through the speakers.

Well I have had a chance to do a comparison and indeed WAZE beats the Mazda SD card in most areas. In rural areas there is no road identification apart fro "rural road". WAZE though not complete does better. The only advantage of the native Mazda system is that it relies on satellite connection rather than cel phone provider and the need for cel signal which can be absent.

If the map is cached, Waze can work without data plan on a phone or cell signal. All Navi apps use the phone's gps.

I has a phone without data plan. Loaded up the map using wifi before I leave for work. just no live traffic updates

Last edited:
WAZE, Google Maps and Apple Maps are ALL better than the native Mazda nav, they all provide verbal directions through the speakers and the new CarPlay display is awesome. I*m running iOS 13.1 public beta

I don't know if its a setting that I'm missing or what but....the SDcard/Native Nav does not turn down the music when the voice guidance prompts chime in. Anyone else have that problem?

When I use ACP to navigate the music turns down, cuts out from the left side speakers, and then the voice prompts come in. This sequence makes it very easy to hear the turn by turn instructions. The way the SDcard/native nav operates makes it very hard to hear the voice prompts. IMO.

I don't know if its a setting that I'm missing or what but....the SDcard/Native Nav does not turn down the music when the voice guidance prompts chime in. Anyone else have that problem?

When I use ACP to navigate the music turns down, cuts out from the left side speakers, and then the voice prompts come in. This sequence makes it very easy to hear the turn by turn instructions. The way the SDcard/native nav operates makes it very hard to hear the voice prompts. IMO.

Mine seems to turn down the music the same little bit regardless of what level the volume starts at, meaning if I have it at a moderate volume, the fixed reduction is sufficient for me to hear the directions. But if I have the stereo cranked, that fixed reduction is insufficient for me to hear the directions over the "barely reduced" volume.

At least, that's been my impression with my limited use.

Mine seems to turn down the music the same little bit regardless of what level the volume starts at, meaning if I have it at a moderate volume, the fixed reduction is sufficient for me to hear the directions. But if I have the stereo cranked, that fixed reduction is insufficient for me to hear the directions over the "barely reduced" volume.

At least, that's been my impression with my limited use.

Thanks for your input!

You know what....since you put it that way...that's EXACTLY what I experienced this evening. I'm going to play around with it some more tomorrow.

OP...sorry for the thread jack! I'll be sure to start my own thread next time!

Last edited:
Thanks for your input!

You know what....since you put it that way...that's EXACTLY what I experienced this evening. I'm going to play around with it some more tomorrow.

OP...sorry for the thread jack! I'll be sure to start my own thread next time!

If you find a solution, let me know.

I haven't messed with it because I don't really use NAV all that much.

I had one instance where the directions never started...not on the HUD and not by voice. I rebooted the system and that did not fix it. So I pulled over to restart the car, and as soon as I took the slightest turn away from my destination to do so, the system "woke up" and the voice said "recalculating route." Directions were then given, on the HUD and by voice.

On my '16 there are 2 ways to adjust Nav volume. One is in the Settings portion of the Nav menu and the other is to adjust the volume knob next to the command knob (not the volume on the steering wheel) while the Nav is speaking. Maybe one of these will help.

When I asked my saleslady about navigation prior to delivery she said she didn't know if my car would come with the SD navigation card or not. She said they used to but maybe not any more. It did not. She said she had a friend though who had an original card with manual ho wanted to sell it for a third of new price. I went ahead and bought it. I am sometimes in areas where there is no cel service and like the idea of being able to get satalite info. I also downloaded WAZE to my phone and have been able to compare the two. As mentioned above WAZE seems to provide more information but I've only used the Mazda Nav card to see where I am. I haven't tried getting directions from it yet. By the way I checked with the parts department and that little sucker goes for equivalent of a thousand dollars here! An aside: when the sales lady installed the card and explained what she could to me she said be sure and remove it when you take your car to a car wash (unlike US car washes here are manned by employees who wash your car like in the US back in the 60's). She said car wash workers have been known to steal the card.

the card can be stolen, and become useless... it's locked to your car, after 100km on the odometer
conversely, you can't sell the card to someone else, nor someone to you, if the car has more than 100km

Yea, because those SD Cards that don't work in any other vehicle are a hot theft commodity. :D

Very interesting. Well I'm supposing the card I bought was not locked to another car but then I'm in a neck of the woods where things...happen. I don't know what features of the card do or don't work yet. I have only used the map so far.

Back