2019 1YR Review

Ssteigss10

:
2019 CX-9 GT Machine Grey
2019 GT AWD 1YR Review

After 1 year and 15k miles I figured good time to post review for those looking to buy. Ill also compare it to my other current vehicle a17 Lexus Rx 350 which stickers for $10k more and is best selling Luxury SUV in the country.

Design:exterior/interior
Obviously subjective but love the overall design and there is nothing I would change on Exterior. IMO Best looking 3 Row SUV on road(XC-90 is up there as well).
Interior is very well done. Would only change the piano black which scratches easily and replace shiny chrome around cabin with the brushed aluminum used in other places.

Materials/Build Quality/reliabilty
I have had no build issues. It is rattle free and nothing has broken. Everything is very Solid and just as good as the RX 350.
-Leather quality is better in Mazda than the RX 350(very plastic looking).
-Overall Materials are on par with Lexus though they have different styling. I have had no unplanned service other than a tire balance issue when new which took 3 attempts for Mazda to fix.
-have the optional machine gray. Its beautiful but very soft. Scratches easily from car wash which does not scratch my other vehicles at all. Only 3 small chips on hood which were clearly from rock hitting. The paint quality is better on Rx-350, Harder has more depth and looks thicker. My Cx-9 also came new with smudge in paint under clearcoat. Was under door handle so not noticeable.

Functionality:
Most everything operates great and is straight forward.
- Major negative is the speed in which the infotainment system boots up. Its very slow and takes forever before you can control things like changing radio. Ive had a software update done but its clearly the chip speed. The RX boots right up.
-The rear view/surround camera is horrendous. Blurry/grainy and limited view. The RXs camera(no surround) is much clearer and offers wide view.

Drive:
This is the best driving car I ever had. This includes 2 Audi Q5s and the Lexus.
The transmission is perfectly tuned to the engine. There is no weird shifting, hesitation or rough downshifts which both Audi and Lexus have issues with. The Lexus has major hesitation that 2 software updates have not solved. I drive Mazda 60 miles a day local roads and look forward to driving it every day. It handles very well, is rock solid, quiet. Suspension could be a tad smoother but w/20 wheels and the way it drives thats minor. The engine was noisy and rougher when new but switching to Synthetic and engine breaking in has improved both issues. Its now on par with Audis 2.0t. The Lexus V6 is not very smooth or quiet. There is also a vibration at 1400 rpm from exhaust(all RXs) which Lexus has not solved.

Dealer:
Dealer I was using was incompetent. Told me Mazda requires 3k mile oil changes with regular oil only. Both not true and when I questioned it couldn't get straight answer. I recently switched dealers for service. No loaner cars for regular service is a hassle.

Feel free to ask ?s but this is a great vehicle. Compared to the Q5s and the Rx-350 I would say it is better than both overall and is $10k-15k less. Its just as solid/quiet has many more features and is less expensive. Realize resale is worse though.

Last edited:
Are there any features or creature comforts in the RX-350 that you miss in the CX-9?

Having that experience with paint softness and chips - do you think it's wise to put PPF e.g. XPELL on a new car?

Are there any features or creature comforts in the RX-350 that you miss in the CX-9?

Actually my RX has less features than the CX-9.
Lexus is missing: Apple carplay, rear heated seats, rear USB ports, 20 wheels, heads up display, nav, worse stereo (standard).
I also think the chassis is more solid in the mazda. Doors close with a nice thud vs hollow more sound on Lexus.
The Lexus is very quiet and smooth on highway but does not absorb larger bumps well at all.
Some of these things have supposedly been improved with 2020 RX update.

Actually my RX has less features than the CX-9.
Lexus is missing: Apple carplay, rear heated seats, rear USB ports, 20* wheels, heads up display, nav, worse stereo (standard).
Some of these things have supposedly been improved with 2020 RX update.

Yep. I was going to say...you are comparing 2019 CX9 model vs 2017 RX. Things change quickly.

My 2017 CX-9 Signature also does not have Apple CarPlay (i was able to add it on my own), no heated rear seats, no ventilated front seats, no front parking sensors and quite frankly, after 36k miles with the car, i am not impressed with the seat comfort on a long trip. Seats (for me) are not deep and wide enough. My dad's 2014 RX350 has better seats, in my opinion.

I did test drive a certified 2016 RX350 when i was looking at my CX-9 2 years ago and i have to agree -- The difference in price (close to 10k) was too much, for a car that did not offer a 3rd row seat. I liked a lot of things about the RX (it was fully loaded) and i could tell the quality and reliability were top notch, but the price premium and the lack of seats/room was a deal breaker. I have 3 kids. The RX was simply too small.

My wife drives a GX470 and it's much better for our needs, even though it's a completely different animal/class/size.
My CX-9 also gets the job done pretty well, with better MPG, so no regrets. ;) :)

Having that experience with paint softness and chips - do you think it's wise to put PPF e.g. XPELL on a new car?

Chips I have are very small and further up hood than the film or bra would cover. I have no chips in front plastic bumper or other areas.

I agree but even if you compare a 19 RX to the 19 CX-9 its the same issues. Some things u can get on RX for additional $ like the 20 wheels, upgraded Stereo etc. The 2020 RX Finally gets apple car play, USB ports and they beefed up chassis.
I guess my overall point is the Lexus is not a better vehicle (quality or content wise)at least thru 2019, and is substantially more expensive. Its transmission is not well programmed to the engine and its not any quieter/smoother with V6. You do get a better warranty, a much better dealership experience overall, higher resale and the prestige of driving a Lexus but the actual vehicle is not superior overall in my Opinion. However my wife drives it and loves it but she is not someone who notices much about cars and likes that it has a regular shifter and physical buttons for most things instead of through a screen. When lease is up on Lexus she wants another one 🙄.

I have a 2017 and echo the same issues. The boot speed of the infotainment has been the main issue, but this has been assuaged somewhat by the addition of AC/ AA. I do have the same oil change procedure from my dealer, so it may be company-wide. I only tolerate the lower intervals because I get a car wash, multi point inspection, rotation included. My local dealer's service is also great to work with so I don't mind giving them the business.

FWIW I just crossed 33K and have had no other issues with mine.

Yep. I was going to say...you are comparing 2019 CX9 model vs 2017 RX. Things change quickly.

My 2017 CX-9 Signature also does not have Apple CarPlay (i was able to add it on my own), no heated rear seats, no ventilated front seats, no front parking sensors and quite frankly, after 36k miles with the car, i am not impressed with the seat comfort on a long trip. Seats (for me) are not deep and wide enough. My dad's 2014 RX350 has better seats, in my opinion.

I did test drive a certified 2016 RX350 when i was looking at my CX-9 2 years ago and i have to agree -- The difference in price (close to 10k) was too much, for a car that did not offer a 3rd row seat. I liked a lot of things about the RX (it was fully loaded) and i could tell the quality and reliability were top notch, but the price premium and the lack of seats/room was a deal breaker. I have 3 kids. The RX was simply too small.

My wife drives a GX470 and it's much better for our needs, even though it's a completely different animal/class/size.
My CX-9 also gets the job done pretty well, with better MPG, so no regrets. ;) :)

Almost 3 yrs ago I almost pulled trigger on a *17 Rx350...glad I waited coz few months after I discovered the *17 CX9! When I did the comparison (bought the Signature) it would have cost me $12-14K CAD more to get same/comparable features on the Lexus. In the end value and features won over vs the prestige and image...went with practicality vs the badge as the CX9 was on par if not slightly a better vehicle than the RX350 for $$$ less (from how I perceived it). Even the base RX was $6K more than the Signature not to mention with a 3rd row and larger cargo capacity!

Also, I did not need the prestige and image anymore as I already came from a premium/luxury model before switching to the CX9. To me it made more sense to move on to a main stream brand-practicality. I don*t regret my purchase 2.5yrs ago....

After 1 year and 15k miles I figured good time to post review for those looking to buy. Ill also compare it to my other current vehicle a17* Lexus Rx 350 which stickers for $10k more and is best selling Luxury SUV in the country.

Obviously subjective but love the overall design and there is nothing I would change on Exterior. IMO Best looking 3 Row SUV on road(XC-90 is up there as well).
Interior is very well done. Would only change the piano black which scratches easily and replace shiny chrome around cabin with the brushed aluminum used in other places.

I have had no build issues. It is rattle free and nothing has broken. Everything is very Solid and just as good as the RX 350.
-Overall Materials are on par with Lexus though they have different styling. I have had no unplanned service other than a tire balance issue when new which took 3 attempts for Mazda to fix.
-have the optional machine gray. Its beautiful but very soft. Scratches easily from car wash which does not scratch my other vehicles at all. Only 3 small chips on hood which were clearly from rock hitting. The paint quality is better on Rx-350, Harder has more depth and looks thicker. My Cx-9 also came new with smudge in paint under clearcoat. Was under door handle so not noticeable.

Functionality:
- Major negative is the speed in which the infotainment system boots up. Its very slow and takes forever before you can control things like changing radio. Ive had a software update done but its clearly the chip speed. The RX boots right up.
-The rear view/surround camera is horrendous. Blurry/grainy and limited view. The RX*s camera(no surround) is much clearer and offers wide view.

Drive:
This is the best driving car I ever had. This includes 2 Audi Q5*s and the Lexus.
The transmission is perfectly tuned to the engine. There is no weird shifting, hesitation or rough downshifts which both Audi and Lexus have issues with. The Lexus has major hesitation that 2 software updates have not solved. I drive Mazda 60 miles a day local roads and look forward to driving it every day. It handles very well, is rock solid, quiet. Suspension could be a tad smoother but w/20* wheels and the way it drives thats minor. The engine was noisy and rougher when new but switching to Synthetic and engine breaking in has improved both issues. Its now on par with Audi*s 2.0t. The Lexus* V6 is not very smooth or quiet. There is also a vibration at 1400 rpm from exhaust(all RX*s) which Lexus has not solved.

Dealer:
Dealer I was using was incompetent. Told me Mazda requires 3k mile oil changes with regular oil only. Both not true and when I questioned it couldn't get straight answer. I recently switched dealers for service. No loaner cars for regular service is a hassle.

Feel free to ask ?*s but this is a great vehicle. Compared to the Q5*s and the Rx-350 I would say it is better than both overall and is $10k-15k less. Its just as solid/quiet has many more features and is less expensive. Realize resale is worse though.

I'm about 90% sure on pulling the trigger on a 2018 GT with 7k miles this weekend. The only issue I found was the side-to-side leg room on the driver's side: My right knee is hitting the console while I'm on the accelerator. I'm sure I'd get used to it but that seemed annoying (and that the seats are not nearly as wide as the 2005 MDX I'm driving now..). Wife also commented on her passenger area being tighter than the MDX or her RL. Thanks.

After 1 year and 15k miles I figured good time to post review for those looking to buy. Ill also compare it to my other current vehicle a17 Lexus Rx 350 which stickers for $10k more and is best selling Luxury SUV in the country.

Functionality:
-The rear view/surround camera is horrendous. Blurry/grainy and limited view. The RXs camera(no surround) is much clearer and offers wide view.

Drive:
This is the best driving car I ever had. This includes 2 Audi Q5s and the Lexus.
The transmission is perfectly tuned to the engine. There is no weird shifting, hesitation or rough downshifts which both Audi and Lexus have issues with. The Lexus has major hesitation that 2 software updates have not solved. I drive Mazda 60 miles a day local roads and look forward to driving it every day. It handles very well, is rock solid, quiet. Suspension could be a tad smoother but w/20 wheels and the way it drives thats minor. The engine was noisy and rougher when new but switching to Synthetic and engine breaking in has improved both issues. Its now on par with Audis 2.0t. The Lexus V6 is not very smooth or quiet. There is also a vibration at 1400 rpm from exhaust(all RXs) which Lexus has not solved.

Dealer:

Feel free to ask ?s but this is a great vehicle. Compared to the Q5s and the Rx-350 I would say it is better than both overall and is $10k-15k less. Its just as solid/quiet has many more features and is less expensive. Realize resale is worse though.

Mazda's dealer network remains its Achilles heel in North America. I know Mazda has luxury aspirations, and the newer cars in top trim are really quite nice, but the dealer experience sucks. I've dealt with two dealers and the experience at both was not good. The dealer closest to me until recently shared a facility with KIA. They stocked zero GT or Signature trim levels and were really geared to sell to people with terrible credit. It was literally one step above a buy here pay here lot. When I bought my car, I had to go on the web and find a GT at another dealer 60 miles away and ask them to transfer it - they really weren't enthusiastic about it. They've recently moved to a separate facility and now stock the top level trims, but the sales experience is the same. I went in to look at a CX-9 Signature and the sales guy said "That's really expensive. We have cheaper ones that probably are more in your price range..." Contrast that to the Mercedes dealer down the street who handed me the keys to a $70k GLE and said "Have fun" or the Volvo dealer who let me drive an XC90 with zero fuss.

The service department is also unpleasant. EVERY time I've taken the car there (for recalls or warranty work), I get the hard sell on stuff I don't need. EVERY TIME. This gets old real fast. As long as you don't need any warranty work, the Mazda is a huge bargain compared to the Lexus. I have friends who drive Audi's and Mercedes' and they take them to the dealer for everything. It's overpriced, but they have free loaners so their is minimal inconvenience.

I guess the better dealer experience is worth it to some folks.

I dont know why the mazda dealer network seems to be such a pain in the U.S. In canada they are on par if not better than equivalent brands dealership. I almost always had good service, but i moved a lot across the country and there are differences city to city.

But I agree that the dealership service is worth considering, but it depends on your personal situation, your closest dealership and if you plan on using them at all after for any out of warranty work. (some people wont use them at all and do the stuff themselves)

I fall into the do most routine stuff myself mold but do value a decent dealership experience when needed. There are two Mazda dealers in my fairly immediate area. One an hour away and the other 75 minutes away. The closer is a shared store and when I shopped there they really didn*t seem to take me or my business seriously. The other on the other hand is a stand alone store and they are closer to the Infiniti experience than they have a right to be both in sales and service. Guess which one gets my business.

There is no weird shifting, hesitation or rough downshifts which both Audi and Lexus have issues with. The Lexus has major hesitation that 2 software updates have not solved.

Shocks me how many cars get this so wrong. Make the damn thing drive CORRECTLY first before you even get into the other stuff like making it handle well or ride well. Duh.

I have had the same experiences with other cars.. In 2019 I'm joyful just to have the car do what I tell it to do with my inputs. Its actually hilarious if you think about where we are now... something EVERY car should do is now seen as a feature.

Shocks me how many cars get this so wrong. Make the damn thing drive CORRECTLY first before you even get into the other stuff like making it handle well or ride well. Duh.

I have had the same experiences with other cars.. In 2019 I'm joyful just to have the car do what I tell it to do with my inputs. Its actually hilarious if you think about where we are now... something EVERY car should do is now seen as a feature.

Unreal right. Just read a review on brand New Audi Q3. Article said they couldnt believe that the transmission tuning was final as it was horrible. Rarely see these publications be so negative especially on an Audi. These 8/9 speed transmissions have been problematic for many brands, honda, Acura, Toyota, Audi to name a few. The dual clutch units suck too for everyday driving( stop n go).Ill stick with a 6 speed Tranny that operates correctly but every reviewer points it out as a negative compared to competition with more gears. To me its a positive. Bet the next generation Mazdas will go 8 speed at least just because they need to to keep up.

After 1 year and 15k miles I figured good time to post review for those looking to buy. Ill also compare it to my other current vehicle a17* Lexus Rx 350 which stickers for $10k more and is best selling Luxury SUV in the country.

Functionality:
-The rear view/surround camera is horrendous. Blurry/grainy and limited view. The RX*s camera(no surround) is much clearer and offers wide view.

Drive:
This is the best driving car I ever had. This includes 2 Audi Q5*s and the Lexus.
The transmission is perfectly tuned to the engine. There is no weird shifting, hesitation or rough downshifts which both Audi and Lexus have issues with. The Lexus has major hesitation that 2 software updates have not solved. I drive Mazda 60 miles a day local roads and look forward to driving it every day. It handles very well, is rock solid, quiet. Suspension could be a tad smoother but w/20* wheels and the way it drives thats minor. The engine was noisy and rougher when new but switching to Synthetic and engine breaking in has improved both issues. Its now on par with Audi*s 2.0t. The Lexus* V6 is not very smooth or quiet. There is also a vibration at 1400 rpm from exhaust(all RX*s) which Lexus has not solved.

Dealer:

Feel free to ask ?*s but this is a great vehicle. Compared to the Q5*s and the Rx-350 I would say it is better than both overall and is $10k-15k less. Its just as solid/quiet has many more features and is less expensive. Realize resale is worse though.

I'm also near the 1 year mark and will be at 20,000 by that point (October).

I agree with everything you say. The biggest weaknesses are the infotainment system and cameras. Paint is not top quality which is why I put a clear bra on the front - and bought white (for car wash swirls but also dirt/dust visibility). I was concerned about the piano black trim and that concern has been confirmed. Even being very careful about what I dust/clean it with and how I clean it there are micro-scratches. If it gets too bad I may need to install an aftermarket kit someday. Gas mileage has been just okay, I'd like better. I never get the advertised 26 on the highway....more like 25 or maybe 25. In most vehicles given my driving style I exceed the rated mpg on the highway.

On the other hand the driving experience is exceptional and much of the tech, especially the Head-Up-Display, is fantastic. I had one in a Corvette a few years ago and didn't use it much but it didn't have nearly as much information. In the CX-9 I rarely look at the dashboard. The cooled seats are, well, very cool and I find the center dials for control of the infotainment system to be very convenient and intuitive.

Last but definitely not least the CX-9 makes my wife very happy!

Overall I've found my 2019 CX-9 GT to be an exceptional value so far.

I would question your comment about resale. I haven't looked that closely but given that the CX-9 initial so is far below comparable vehicles like the RX I'd expect resale to also be less on an absolute basis. Is this what you're saying or are you saying that as a percentage it loses more and possibly more quickly? I usually keep my vehicles for 125,000+ miles and 6-8 years so resale is not a huge concern of mine but I'm still curious.

I'm also near the 1 year mark and will be at 20,000 by that point (October).

I agree with everything you say. The biggest weaknesses are the infotainment system and cameras. Paint is not top quality which is why I put a clear bra on the front - and bought white (for car wash swirls but also dirt/dust visibility). I was concerned about the piano black trim and that concern has been confirmed. Even being very careful about what I dust/clean it with and how I clean it there are micro-scratches. If it gets too bad I may need to install an aftermarket kit someday. Gas mileage has been just okay, I'd like better. I never get the advertised 26 on the highway....more like 25 or maybe 25. In most vehicles given my driving style I exceed the rated mpg on the highway.

On the other hand the driving experience is exceptional and much of the tech, especially the Head-Up-Display, is fantastic. I had one in a Corvette a few years ago and didn't use it much but it didn't have nearly as much information. In the CX-9 I rarely look at the dashboard. The cooled seats are, well, very cool and I find the center dials for control of the infotainment system to be very convenient and intuitive.

Last but definitely not least the CX-9 makes my wife very happy!

Overall I've found my 2019 CX-9 GT to be an exceptional value so far.

I would question your comment about resale. I haven't looked that closely but given that the CX-9 initial so is far below comparable vehicles like the RX I'd expect resale to also be less on an absolute basis. Is this what you're saying or are you saying that as a percentage it loses more and possibly more quickly? I usually keep my vehicles for 125,000+ miles and 6-8 years so resale is not a huge concern of mine but I'm still curious.
Try Meguiers Scratchx 2.0t on a foam pad to remove most of the scratches on the piano black. Use light pressure and wipe with microfiber. Made huge difference.
Resale I mean % it loses. Youll pay more for Lexus but will likely get bigger % back on trade. But I too plan to keep it 6 or more years so Your right its not a huge deal.

Back