Car and Driver: Every 2019 Compact Crossover SUV Ranked from Worst to Best

I'm right there with you on ads, brother. I won't watch live TV. Record everything and skip ALL the ads. Watch an hour show in 45 minutes. Better yet-- don't watch at all.

Another possibility is that the people who make the decisions about ads at Mazda just have bad taste/judgment. Or don't know what they're doing. Or are just trying something new to see what happens.

I live in the sticks after decades of suburban life of DC. No cable (or decent internet) available, I got rid of satellite and installed a rooftop antenna, so I'm not fast-forwarding through anything!! And I agree that less tube-time is best.

Who knows if commercials are really effective, or if (being Americans) we just naturally get off our wallets with minimal prodding. They say that even if it offends you, then a strong [memorable] impression has been made.

The real problem is that if we avoid buying things based on irrational ads, we'll starve to death naked ;)

I watch alot of tv, multiple channels, and still haven't seen a cx5 add since I bought
vehicle- 6 months ago !

I get antenna tv...no satellite or cable.

I very occassionally see a Mazda-corporate ad on sporting events that would be broadcast nationwide (as I said, golf tournaments, high-profile college football games, maybe soccer). The local dealer runs an ad maybe once or twice a week, but it's always leasing specials...his commercials are never about sales promotions or the cars themselves.

We've kicked this around here. Which comes first: sales revenue that can support an ad budget, or an investment in advertising to get sales up? You can read what they have to say about their future in their 2019 financial statements.

I live in the sticks after decades of suburban life of DC. No cable (or decent internet) available, I got rid of satellite and installed a rooftop antenna, so I'm not fast-forwarding through anything!! And I agree that less tube-time is best.
That's what I would do if I could get a signal, but with one addition: Tivo!

I got lucky considering where I live.

I have a reasonable Verizon phone & internet signal, and most of the time can get strong tv signals from two major cities in opposite directions (25 and 40 miles away)...about 30 channels total.

My electric co-op is in the process of running fiber alongside the power lines to every customer. They're one year into the 5 year timeline, so hopefully I'll see decent internet.

Considering that I can look out my patio door on any given day and see everything from bear to coyote to turkey, it's pretty amazing I can sit here and submit this comment.

I have a Roku TV. Hooked to a nice antenna. Get over 30 channels. Stick a memory stick in it... and you can pause and rewind live TV. Can't record stuff. But it's perfect for watching a Browns game. :D

I agree on getting a Tivo. I got a Romio, which includes the lifetime guide, a few years ago. I then purchased several mini VOX's to add the same functionality to all my other TV's. It's the best investment I've made, as far as TV viewing goes. No more monthly fees, or unexpected price increases. The "Skip" feature for commercials, like Mazda's, is the best. :) I also have Roku's hooked up to all my TV's for content not served OTA. F satellite and cable!

I agree on getting a Tivo. I got a Romio, which includes the lifetime guide, a few years ago. I then purchased several mini VOX's to add the same functionality to all my other TV's. It's the best investment I've made, as far as TV viewing goes. No more monthly fees, or unexpected price increases. The "Skip" feature for commercials, like Mazda's, is the best. :) I also have Roku's hooked up to all my TV's for content not served OTA. F satellite and cable!

Yup. Life's too short to waste time watching commercials for stuff you don't need and don't want.

If you have decent cell service, this might interest you. Even if you don't, you'll enjoy his place.

Thanks for that. I bookmarked the provider's website to check pricing later. I didn't get to the point where costs and data transfer from Verizon towers were discussed.

I got lucky when I chose this place. Great cell service everywhere on my property and home...just a few dead spots in the wooded gullies. I'm about 1.5 miles away from an interstate, and can see the light on top of the cell tower off in the distance at night.

Verizon has pretty decent 4g service. I can tether my phone to my laptop, and also have a Jet Pak, which receives & transmits the Verizon data signal. They recently went to $20 a month for unlimited internet when tacked onto an existing phone account. The first 15gb are 4g, then after that you might still get high speeds but your priority relative to other users falls. Just last week I decided to get a second Jet Pak so I could get another 15gb for $20/month...WAY cheaper than buying an extra GB at a time, and still only $40/month for internet. Of course, reliable streaming TV is not gonna happen at 4g speeds and only 15gb or 30gb of capacity.

The other solution that these "Gotta get broadband" rural counties are implementing is to run cable/fiber along the roads, and then do the final hop to houses wirelessly. So they set up a transmitter at roadside, and each customer has a WiFi receiver in their home. That's the most economical alternative to running 1/2 mile or more of cable to one or two customers. I'm too far away from the point of roadside transmission to get a signal through the woods.

The other solution that these "Gotta get broadband" rural counties are implementing is to run cable/fiber along the roads, and then do the final hop to houses wirelessly. So they set up a transmitter at roadside, and each customer has a WiFi receiver in their home. That's the most economical alternative to running 1/2 mile or more of cable to one or two customers. I'm too far away from the point of roadside transmission to get a signal through the woods.

Or they could just run copper to your house from the fiber if wireless won't work. Might be cost prohibitive.

Where I lived in Colorado, they had long distance wireless service but only for line of sight. Maybe that's similar to what you're talking about.

Or they could just run copper to your house from the fiber if wireless won't work. Might be cost prohibitive.

Where I lived in Colorado, they had long distance wireless service but only for line of sight. Maybe that's similar to what you're talking about.

5G is line of sight. I would just wait for that.

Could this thread go any more off topic? :)

Could this thread go any more off topic? :)

You need to be clearer.

What might be intended as a mild admonition could be taken as a challenge.
Or perhaps you're testing us....

Anyway, it was the reviews I read that greatly sold me on the CX-5. I was ready to pull the trigger in August 2018 but other things happened in my life causing me to delay the purchase (thank goodness, because I ended up with a turbo). I had already been on this forum and read/watched tons of reviews as well as test driven a 2018 Grand Touring. I finally place my order in February, and read/watched even MORE reviews.

I've yet to see a negative CX-5 article . In fact, I have not seen any media discussions on the CD recall, which is odd.

That aside, we all agree that CX-5 owners love driving. Once I got behind the wheel buying anything else in that price range was out of the question. Anything else would feel like a utilitarian Point A to Point B tool, and nothing more.

Back