Car and Driver: Every 2019 Compact Crossover SUV Ranked from Worst to Best

I remember "And the Mazda goes Hmmmmmmm" ads.
I well remember ... my first Mazda was a left-over new '73 RX-2 rotary engine sedan ... about the size of a Toyota Corolla at the time.
Great performance with lousy gas mileage.
I DID enjoy surprising small-block Chevys. (burnout)

I DID enjoy surprising small-block Chevys. (burnout)

I had a '67 Camaro 350SS back in the day. Lovely Muncie shifters bolted to the frame instead of twisting with the transmission.

When the highway speed limit got lowered to 55 MPH, it was an awkward speed because that's exactly where the Rochester 4 barrel started to kick in.

Why everybody says, that the CX5 is the best and people are still not buying them in bigger numbers?

Most auto consumers are not driving enthusiasts.

They often have different priorities than you/me/us..."everybody".

Some people prefer a squishy ride, some don't care about handling, etc.

Fewer dealers mean you have to seek out an opportunity to get behind the wheel. How many folks here said that once they sat in a Mazda, the car quickly rose to the top of their list? It happened to me, and I only got in one because there happened to be a dealer next door to my local Carmax and I just wandered in out of curiosity after taking the CR-V off of my list.

I'm not certain the issue is so much of of "Past brand reputation" as SIG said as it is "No real reputation at all."

Then there's an abject lack of advertising. Natey says there's no model-specific 4 Runner ads, but there's tons of general Toyota and Honda ads selling the brand. As I type this, there's a Ford SUV ad on tv.

Mazda's 2018 financial statements contain promises to "promote sales network reforms in the United States and other countries to improve customer care and launch new-generation dealerships."

They also stated "In the United States, we aim to create a sales network capable of selling 400,000 units per year by 2021. To that end, we will roll out marketing strategies that address market characteristics and increase the number of new-generation branded dealers in an effort to improve customer retention rates and increase sales volume per dealer." They sold 300,000 in 2018.

Nice to have chosen correctly! Years ago I got a 2007 Honda CR-V and I felt at the time that was a great vehicle. This time, I'm seeing lots of 2018/2019 CX-5s on the road. Mazda really hit it out of the park. Looking forward to an electric CX-5!

It's definitely coming. They have partnered with Toyota in 2017 to bring EVs to their lineup sooner. They are showing their first EV in October.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/16/mazda-will-show-off-its-first-ev-at-the-tokyo-motor-show/

Fewer dealers mean you have to seek out an opportunity to get behind the wheel. How many folks here said that once they sat in a Mazda, the car quickly rose to the top of their list? It happened to me, and I only got in one because there happened to be a dealer next door to my local Carmax and I just wandered in out of curiosity after taking the CR-V off of my list.

I'm not certain the issue is so much of of "Past brand reputation" as SIG said as it is "No real reputation at all."

Then there's an abject lack of advertising. Natey says there's no model-specific 4 Runner ads, but there's tons of general Toyota and Honda ads selling the brand. As I type this, there's a Ford SUV ad on tv.

Mazda's 2018 financial statements contain promises to "promote sales network reforms in the United States and other countries to improve customer care and launch new-generation dealerships."

They also stated "In the United States, we aim to create a sales network capable of selling 400,000 units per year by 2021. To that end, we will roll out marketing strategies that address market characteristics and increase the number of new-generation branded dealers in an effort to improve customer retention rates and increase sales volume per dealer." They sold 300,000 in 2018.

1)Mazda having fewer dealers all comes down to supply and demand. If people bought more Mazdas at the existing dealers, you would see more dealerships opening.

2)Subaru doesnt anywhere close to Honda or Toyota in advertising, are smaller than Mazda but sell way more vehicles(in the US at least).

Last edited:
I definitely see Mazda commercials on TV, too; and usually for the CX-5/9.
I think part of the problem is that Mazda's new advertising campaign sucks. I also remember the zoom zoom ads. They had a catchy song, a cute kid and a cool all around feel to them. Not too much "zoom" in Mazda's inventory anymore though. The Mazdas go Hmmmmm one will never happen again because no rotary engine. This "Feel Alive" crap doesn't come close to either one of those ideas though in my opinion.

I think it was Lee IoCocca that said "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday"

Last edited:
I definitely see Mazda commercials on TV, too; and usually for the CX-5/9.
I think part of the problem is that Mazda's new advertising campaign sucks. I also remember the zoom zoom ads. They had a catchy song, a cute kid and a cool all around feel to them. Not too much "zoom" in Mazda's inventory anymore though. The Mazdas go Hmmmmm one will never happen again because no rotary engine. This "Feel Alive" crap doesn't come close to either one of those ideas though in my opinion.

I think it was Lee IoCocca that said "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday"

1) Past brand reputation
2) Less interior room than much of the competition
3) Barely advertised
4) Smaller dealer network

I'll stop there.

Everyone seems to have a short memory. Mazda has been getting rave reviews since... hmmm... about 2016. When I bought my car. Car and Driver ranked the CX5 #2. A big part of what caught my eye.
Mazda has consistently until ONLY very recently been continuously setting new sales records every few months, sometimes month after month after month. For over 2 years. CPO sales every single month for nearly 2 years were higher month over month... for 2 years STRAIGHT. And I believe I am under exaggerating.
Only recently are they tanking.... but a lot of brands are too.
Careful what you wish for... if they became #1 I'd be looking elsewhere. I hate front runners. ;)

Totes agree though, this Feel Alive s*** must go away. HORRIBLE.
Bring the kid back. He's probably in his 40s now. Make a new ZOOM ZOOM song. There would be no shame in this.

Last edited:
There are a ton of Subaru commercials in my area, probably because they sell well due to our messy winters.

But the ads focus on safety, reliability, dogs and a slight eco-conscious mindset.

Careful what you wish for... if they became #1 I'd be looking elsewhere. I hate front runners. ;)

That's hilarious! And all too true in our culture.

We love the underdog until they become a consistent winner. Then somehow they're "that big evil corporation."

Bring the kid back. He's probably in his 40s now. Make a new ZOOM ZOOM song. There would be no shame in this.

I had posted demographics of SUV buyers and car buyers in general. The vast majority are those making over $80,000 per year and who own homes. By definition, this also makes the vast majority of new car buyers older folks. But the ads are always (mostly) directed at younger folks going on outdoor adventures, or who have kids in the back seat. You see very little ads directed at those who are actually spending the money. Maybe a little more nostalgia would sway buyers to specific brands. Maybe we need Speed Racer behind the wheel of a CX-5!

Last edited:

We love the underdog until they become a consistent winner. Then somehow they're "that big evil corporation."

I had posted demographics of SUV buyers and car buyers in general. The vast majority are those making over $80,000 per year and who own homes. By definition, this also makes the vast majority of new car buyers older folks. But the ads are always (mostly) directed at younger folks going on outdoor adventures, or who have kids in the back seat. You see very little ads directed at those who are actually spending the money. Maybe a little more nostalgia would sway buyers to specific brands. Maybe we need Speed Racer behind the wheel of a CX-5!

Probably because no "older" person wants to buy a vehicle that reminds them they're closer to dying than they are to being born, all things being equal. I'd say those ads are aimed DIRECTLY at older people for this very reason.

Probably because no "older" person wants to buy a vehicle that reminds them they're closer to dying than they are to being born, all things being equal. I'd say those ads are aimed DIRECTLY at older people for this very reason.

Good point.

I guess Zoom-Zoom sells more cars than Get off my lawn!!!

Unless they're "your" team, of course. Tell that to people in any city who has a dominant sports franchise. They love them.

Not all corporations are "evil", not even all big ones. People think they're "evil" when they act "evil". And sometimes that's just doing what corporations do, maximizing profits. It all depends on how they go about it, who gets hurt, who wins and loses.

A lot of us are just iconoclasts.

Unless they're "your" team, of course. Tell that to people in any city who has a dominant sports franchise. They love them.

Not all corporations are "evil", not even all big ones. People think they're "evil" when they act "evil". And sometimes that's just doing what corporations do, maximizing profits. It all depends on how they go about it, who gets hurt, who wins and loses.

A lot of us are just iconoclasts.

Funny, that sports analogy was present in my mind as I typed my comment.

I've worked for (and bought from) a lot of different business in a lot of different industries during my purchasing career. There are those who know they can make a reasonable profit just turning an honest buck. Then I've worked for/bought from those who truly believe that if both parties to a deal are happy, then someone got away with something. That second set will never be happy, and can do a lot of damage...to themselves and to others.

Institutions have personalities just like people. Some are good. Some are neutral. Some have really twisted mindsets.

Totes agree though, this Feel Alive s*** must go away. HORRIBLE.

Audi and Acura were featured in Marvel Comic movies.....Mazda needs to be in the next ______.

Back