New Signature Minor Nit

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Getting to know my new car and loving it. One minor nit: to adjust the AC fan speed I have to look down at the lower part of the dash and identify the two small buttons for increasing or decreasing the fan speed. I wish it was a simple knot that I could just reach down and feel like my last car. What with it's heads up display etc. Mazda seems to have gone to lengths to help you keep your eyes on the road. This seems to be a big oversight in my opinion.

I usually just use it only in auto mode and use the temp knob to indirectly control fan speed.

I usually just use it only in auto mode and use the temp knob to indirectly control fan speed.

Both of my parents drive a Mazda 6 (dad's since passed) and I've attempted to tell them that they don't need to set a fan speed- the car will automatically do it depending on the temp, JUST LIKE THE HOUSE.

Every time I get in thier car, the auto mode is off and "I can't understand why thi car is always hot!"

lmao

Lucky you dont have an Audi where you have to push a fan button then use the dial every time you want to adjust fan speed...

My major "Gotta take my eyes off the road" beef is the infotainment system.

I have to scroll through a computer monitor to go to a Favorite radio station (or to any radio station), whereas before I would automatically reach right to the preset button I wanted and keep looking straight ahead.

Voice Recognition for this is spotty, and it does not work in all screens.

Regarding the fan speed, I leave mine on Auto, but there are times it seems the thing should have more of a sense of urgency.

These cars are equipped with a sophisticated climate control computer and still people want to intervene. The only minor adjustment that should be necessary is temperature and for that each front seat person gets a large rotary knob. With the possible exception of *windscreen demist* which should be a big button, the rest shouldn*t be necessary.

I have to scroll through a computer monitor to go to a Favorite radio station (or to any radio station), whereas before I would automatically reach right to the preset button I wanted and keep looking straight ahead.

Depending on how many favorites you have, you can use the steering wheel controls to cycle through the favorites.

These cars are equipped with a sophisticated climate control computer and still people want to intervene. The only minor adjustment that should be necessary is temperature and for that each front seat person gets a large rotary knob. With the possible exception of *windscreen demist* which should be a big button, the rest shouldn*t be necessary.

This exactly. As I'm reading this post I was thinking "there's a giant dial I use every day!"

My major "Gotta take my eyes off the road" beef is the infotainment system.

Voice Recognition for this is spotty, and it does not work in all screens.

Regarding the fan speed, I leave mine on Auto, but there are times it seems the thing should have more of a sense of urgency.

i just hit the favorites * button on the center module, from there you can just select which radio station you want to hear...assuming you set your radio stations already. Should try it, it'll save you a lot of time and frustration

I have no issues with the climate control, i do wish the HUD would show more information, like rpm just so you see more animation on screen..

I guess I am just not used to climate control in that format. I only had the loaner for a day. But I guess that makes sense if you can set to a temperature.

Regarding the climate control system, it is light years ahead of that in my past Nissan 370Z and Infiniti G35 Coupe. In those cars, there was no way to get cool outside air flowing through with the system set to off. If the outside air temp was 60 degrees the air coming through the vents was warmer, I guess the intake was someplace where it was getting engine heat.
In my CX 5 I never use automatic. I hate getting in the car and having the fan turn on full blast in my face to bring the car to a pre-set temp.
I have the vent set to flow through except when behind a stinky diesel truck or something and the fan set to low.
When I want A/C I just hit the A/C button and already have the temp dial where I want it. If I need more fan speed for quick cooling I can tap the button a couple of times.
While the system may be sophisticated, I prefer to do it myself rather than have some program do it for me which is rarely what my preference is at that moment. Same with the Auto headlight or windshield wiper features. Never used them in any vehicle and find no need for it. I like to use the manual modes as I see fit. I think a lot of the auto features are designed for a dumbed down driving populace.

Last edited:
Interesting perspective to say the least. Seems like you paid a significant premium, just to get the turbo engine, with all the additional features and options being a waste of money...........

Regarding the climate control system, it is light years ahead of that in my past Nissan 370Z and Infiniti G35 Coupe. In those cars, there was no way to get cool outside air flowing through with the system set to off. If the outside air temp was 60 degrees the air coming through the vents was warmer, I guess the intake was someplace where it was getting engine heat.
In my CX 5 I never use automatic. I hate getting in the car and having the fan turn on full blast in my face to bring the car to a pre-set temp.
I have the vent set to flow through except when behind a stinky diesel truck or something and the fan set to low.
When I want A/C I just hit the A/C button and already have the temp dial where I want it. If I need more fan speed for quick cooling I can tap the button a couple of times.
While the system may be sophisticated, I prefer to do it myself rather than have some program do it for me which is rarely what my preference is at that moment. Same with the Auto headlight or windshield wiper features. Never used them in any vehicle and find no need for it. I like to use the manual modes as I see fit. I think a lot of the auto features are designed for a dumbed down driving populace.

Interesting perspective to say the least. Seems like you paid a significant premium, just to get the turbo engine, with all the additional features and options being a waste of money...........

My opinion - you don't have to like everything about a car in order to enjoy it. For many people, the CX-5 GTR is still the best option compared to a lot of what's available. Those people likely see the additional features as "bonuses" rather than wastes of money. In addition, we are limited to the configurations Mazda chooses to make available to us. I'm sure if automatic headlights, rain-sensing wipers, and automatic climate control were sold as a package add-on, DwightFyre would not have obliged. But since they come standard on the trim level he wanted, that's what he got.

My opinion - you don't have to like everything about a car in order to enjoy it. For many people, the CX-5 GTR is still the best option compared to a lot of what's available. Those people likely see the additional features as "bonuses" rather than wastes of money. In addition, we are limited to the configurations Mazda chooses to make available to us. I'm sure if automatic headlights, rain-sensing wipers, and automatic climate control were sold as a package add-on, DwightFyre would not have obliged. But since they come standard on the trim level he wanted, that's what he got.

Totally fair, but they lost me on "I think a lot of the auto features are designed for a dumbed down driving populace.". What does that even mean?

Totally fair, but they lost me on "I think a lot of the auto features are designed for a dumbed down driving populace.". What does that even mean?

May just be a poor choice of words, but I think he just means that these features were designed for the lazy driver. That's a negative way to look at it though. The positive side is that these are luxury features that are meant to work so you don't have to. Some people just prefer to have more control.

Well anyway yes now I see how the auto setting works so withdraw my complaint. Works great. Still learning...

Lazy Driver?

Well, in my personal case, with an 80mi round trip commute every day, just outside of Boston..................... I love the drivers' aids. Adaptive CC makes easy work of the stop and go traffic which makes up the last 1/3 of my commute. Rain Sensing Wipers easily adjust to both changes in the rain, along with my speed changes. Auto high beams are perfect for those very short stretches where there are no other cars around. Lane departure alerts, I could live without, but deal with it anyway. I'm amazed how much more relaxed I am in heavy traffic, with the aids there to help.

My only gripe it with the blind-spot monitor. I have to get waaay ahead of the car in the adjacent lane, before it will give me the all clear. Much further than necessary. This can result in pissed off drivers behind me when it appears I'm taking to long to change lanes. Boston drivers are notorious tailgaters, which drive me crazy.

Back