New Signature Minor Nit

Lazy Driver?

Well, in my personal case, with an 80mi round trip commute every day, just outside of Boston..................... I love the drivers' aids. Adaptive CC makes easy work of the stop and go traffic which makes up the last 1/3 of my commute. Rain Sensing Wipers easily adjust to both changes in the rain, along with my speed changes. Auto high beams are perfect for those very short stretches where there are no other cars around. Lane departure alerts, I could live without, but deal with it anyway. I'm amazed how much more relaxed I am in heavy traffic, with the aids there to help.

I'm not calling you or anyone who uses these features a "lazy driver", that just how some people view that type of driver. Again, some people prefer more manual control. Nothing wrong with either type of driver, its just based on preference.

My only gripe it with the blind-spot monitor. I have to get waaay ahead of the car in the adjacent lane, before it will give me the all clear. Much further than necessary. This can result in pissed off drivers behind me when it appears I'm taking to long to change lanes. Boston drivers are notorious tailgaters, which drive me crazy.

Sounds like a Boston problem, not a BSM problem.

There is a reason why we have "won" worst traffic in the country the last few years...

I have a friend not from here who lamented how mentally exhausting riding a motorcycle can be sometimes because of trying not to die. Thats how I feel driving some time. It can be taxing mentally.

It's both actually. Boston drivers suck in general. But the BSM thing is configured way too conservatively IMO.

I'm not calling you or anyone who uses these features a "lazy driver", that just how some people view that type of driver. Again, some people prefer more manual control. Nothing wrong with either type of driver, its just based on preference.

It's both actually. Boston drivers suck in general. But the BSM thing is configured way too conservatively IMO.

This has been a common complaint, ridiculously common, since the spacing was changed on the 2017 model year.

My only gripe it with the blind-spot monitor. I have to get waaay ahead of the car in the adjacent lane, before it will give me the all clear. Much further than necessary. This can result in pissed off drivers behind me when it appears I'm taking to long to change lanes. Boston drivers are notorious tailgaters, which drive me crazy.

You could always use the old fashion method and turn your head to see when it's clear. :) I like having all these safety features, but never solely rely on them.

Many of the roads suck too. Home of the rotary!

Almost everyone with a KF agrees with you about BSM. Liability concerns, most likely.

You could always use the old fashion method and turn your head to see when it's clear. :) I like having all these safety features, but never solely rely on them.

I agree 100%. BUT, it sure would be more helpful if was more realistic. It's like the boy who cried wolf. It would be easy for Mazda to make it smarter, but they've apparently decided that it's safer for the company this way.

I agree 100%. BUT, it sure would be more helpful if was more realistic. It's like the boy who cried wolf. It would be easy for Mazda to make it smarter, but they've apparently decided that it's safer for the company this way.

Yeah, maybe safer for the company, but more dangerous for the customer since it trains us to disregard the warning.

I have the audible signal turned off. It still gives an audible cue by muting the turn signal sound when it senses a car in the forbidden zone. I hesitate to call it blind spot, because I can clearly see the car behind me in the side-view mirror long before the warning goes away.

Yeah, maybe safer for the company, but more dangerous for the customer since it trains us to disregard the warning.
Exactly my point.

It's the one safety system on this car I don't use. My mirrors are adjusted so that I don't have a blind spot.

i just hit the favorites * button on the center module, from there you can just select which radio station you want to hear...assuming you set your radio stations already. Should try it, it'll save you a lot of time and frustration

Yeh, I have Favorites set. You still need to take your eyes off the road to select your station. And you cannot use Voice Recognition to change stations when you're in that screen (when VR is working)...I'm not sure why they would have designed it this way. It's a minor thing, but for all the things you cannot read while in motion, substituting eyes-on-screen for push-button presets seems to be going in a different direction.

But I'm picking at the fringes.

I have no issues with the climate control, i do wish the HUD would show more information, like rpm just so you see more animation on screen..

I've wanted the same thing. Engine Temp would be a great addition, since it's a good thing to monitor and with the HUD, I have no need to look at the dash.

I was on the NHTSA site reading recalls and TSBs, and apparently they used to have the tach on the HUD on a prior year CX-9. There was some software ugrade that removed it "for safety" because it was too distracting. NHTSA ID Number: 10162014 is where the reference is.

Thanks smart guy...... I do use my mirrors, but still get the unnecessary and annoying warning alert when I tap the turn signal stalk to change lanes.

Read the 6 month review by Macmc78 in this section and note the comments that some have made regarding how well the auto headlights and wipers work. I did not mean it as a pejorative when I commented that many of the auto features on cars these days are designed for dumbed down drivers, but the point is that the auto settings are never right for all circumstances and that is why I prefer to operate the functions manually to fit dynamic driving situations.
A lot of less experienced drivers or those who grew up with only automatic transmissions see an "auto" feature, switch it on and never explore the range of functions in their cars. Most probably never read more than 5% of the owners manual and have no idea how their cars work.
I find a lot of joy and satisfaction in knowing my vehicles and taking good care of them. For many, a car is just a transportation device. Look at how cars are marketed these days. They advertise all the gimmicks and infotainment and say little about performance and reliability. That tells me that much of the car buying public have been dumbed down.

Thanks smart guy...... I do use my mirrors, but still get the unnecessary and annoying warning alert when I tap the turn signal stalk to change lanes.

Well, if that's the case, why are you waiting to change lanes? The beeping does not prevent it.

This can result in pissed off drivers behind me when it appears I'm taking to long to change lanes. Boston drivers are notorious tailgaters, which drive me crazy.

Last edited:
One other minor nit is the USB port inside the console is (for me) a bit hard to get at.

Latest posts

Back