2019 Sig Clicking Noise From Front End and Brake Squeal

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2019 Signature model that I noticed is clicking from the front end of the vehicle. The past month I only heard the clicking when reversing out from my garage onto a flat pavement and it was just once while turning the wheel. Recently it's developed to clicking a lot more frequently and it's worse when going uphill or driving over bumps. I can also slightly feel the clicking through my steering wheel so it feels like it's coming from the wheels. I also noticed my brakes are also squealing which is disappointing to say the least. Not sure if the two are related but was hoping maybe the forum may have experienced something similar to my situation. I'm looking to take her in to the dealer for her first service soon but the clicking noise significantly got worse just yesterday so a bit concerned on driving the vehicle around until I'm able to get her serviced. Thank you everyone in advance!

Any chance you can take some video/audio of the issue and link it here? I've not heard anything like what you described on my Sig.

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2019 Signature model that I noticed is clicking from the front end of the vehicle. The past month I only heard the clicking when reversing out from my garage onto a flat pavement and it was just once while turning the wheel. Recently it's developed to clicking a lot more frequently and it's worse when going uphill or driving over bumps. I can also slightly feel the clicking through my steering wheel so it feels like it's coming from the wheels. I also noticed my brakes are also squealing which is disappointing to say the least. Not sure if the two are related but was hoping maybe the forum may have experienced something similar to my situation. I'm looking to take her in to the dealer for her first service soon but the clicking noise significantly got worse just yesterday so a bit concerned on driving the vehicle around until I'm able to get her serviced. Thank you everyone in advance!

Have you checked the obvious stuff yet like loose lug nuts? metal or rock in tire?

I believe there was a TSB for 2017-2018 CX-5 suspensions, hopefully someone will post it up for you.

They do click and creak a bit and there are several TSBs for it.

I*ve got the U.K. GT which is the same as your turbo model in terms of it is the only model with bigger brakes and they squeal like a *stuck pig* when the are hot. I*ve not taken it to the dealer because they*ll stick them all up with copper grease but I*ll have the pads out and grease them up with ceramic grease when I put the winter wheels on.

Couldn't record the clicking with my phone as it doesn't pick up on the sound very well. Also, checked the lug nuts, anything loose, and visually inspected the suspension for cracks but saw nothing wrong. The clicking is too often for me to think it's normal as it happens when I'm slowly pulling out of a parking space and turning the wheel, straight road with minor bumps, or going uphill in a parking lot. The worst was on Monday when I went to the movies with my wife and we were both like WTH when we heard the repeated clicking while driving straight up the parking lot on smooth pavement. After paying more attention to it today I noticed it's not just clicking from the front wheels but I'm also feeling it from the bottom of the vehicle on certain road conditions.

They do click and creak a bit and there are several TSBs for it.

I wonder if this is a regional thing.

I search the American NHTSA database and can only find issues with exhaust hanger brackets making noise, or someone erroneously applying lubricant to stabilizer bushings causing noise from slippage.

Or maybe my search skills need improvement.

Dropped off the vehicle at my local dealer and explained to the service rep about the clicking noises. Took him for a ride so he can hear it, but of course, when you're at the dealer the issue is magically resolved. Fortunately, I drove a bit further as I heard it almost the entire drive to the dealer and the service rep heard the noise as we're pulling back into the dealer lot. They're going to take the tech out for a ride this afternoon to replicate the sound and look for a fix. Hopefully, they can fix it and it's under warranty. Apparently, from the service rep's experience he's never heard something like this before so we'll see.

So dealer tech was able to replicate the sound and corrected it by tightening the suspension and cowl bolts. A bit surprised as I didn't think suspension bolts would come loose during my 4 months of ownership. Only thing I did with this vehicle was go on a road trip to Mammoth Lakes which is mainly on paved highways. So I'm hoping it's a fluke from factory and not something that should happen again as it's a bit concerning.

The cowl is the area between engine and cabin where the windshield wipers and dashboards are. Apparently, the tech tightened the bolts around that area for safe measure as he tightened my suspension bolts.

Yes, those bolts and any accessible chassis bolts should be periodically inspected at every oil change, as described in the manual. I've read about a few cases of clunks and clicks from the front end of the CX-5 and CX-9 that turned out to be loose bolts under the hood. Check the cowl bolts and the strut tower bolts.

Back