2019 CX-5 Maintenance Schedule 1 vs. Schedule 2

This is my first post here, I did some searching, but didn't quite find what I was looking for, so I thought I would ask it specifically.

Just bought my second CX-5 last week. My first was a 2014 (bought in '13) and had 134,000 miles on it when I traded it in. Ran great, never an issue. Maintained it at every 5k miles (oil change, filter, rotate tires) because that's what I thought was the right thing to do (and my dealership certainly supported and praised me for that decision). My new one is a 2019 CX-5 GTR. Being the good owner I am, I read through the scheduled maintenance manual and reviewed the proper service intervals. I was mostly planning on following the same routine I had been on, but I got to thinking about the difference between schedule 1 and 2 and what is considered "severe driving conditions". So I thought I would throw that question out there to the group and get your trusted opinions on what you consider "severe driving conditions" because I am pretty sure the ones in the manual could be applied to just about anyone driving a vehicle today.

Frank

I split the difference and did 6,000 mile oil/filter changes in my 2014. I have 3 very good UOAs and a suggestion to go much longer using PP and OEM, WIX or ULTRA oil filters. Ed

Its simple. Just use Flexible oil change interval stated in your owners manual and recommended by Mazda. If youre not comfortable getting the OCI up to 7,500 miles, you can always change your oil earlier than Flexible OCI suggested.

Its more important to use right oil and filter, which are different on your 2.5T from 2.5L.

This is my first post here, I did some searching, but didn't quite find what I was looking for, so I thought I would ask it specifically.

Just bought my second CX-5 last week. My first was a 2014 (bought in '13) and had 134,000 miles on it when I traded it in. Ran great, never an issue. Maintained it at every 5k miles (oil change, filter, rotate tires) because that's what I thought was the right thing to do (and my dealership certainly supported and praised me for that decision). My new one is a 2019 CX-5 GTR. Being the good owner I am, I read through the scheduled maintenance manual and reviewed the proper service intervals. I was mostly planning on following the same routine I had been on, but I got to thinking about the difference between schedule 1 and 2 and what is considered "severe driving conditions". So I thought I would throw that question out there to the group and get your trusted opinions on what you consider "severe driving conditions" because I am pretty sure the ones in the manual could be applied to just about anyone driving a vehicle today.

Frank

I change the oil in mine and rotate tires every 5K miles. I use Mobil 1 EP oil, as it is Honda HT06 and GM D1 G2, and SN+. Very good oil for DI Turbo motors.

The biggest factor to me is: does your car generally get up to proper operating temperature every time you drive it. Yes?
Then you do the Sched 1.
I just moved to a new house. My commute is now 5 minutes. 5... minutes. This is extreme duress for a car as the engine will never get to proper operating temperature once it starts to get cold out. Sched 2.

The biggest factor to me is: does your car generally get up to proper operating temperature every time you drive it. Yes?
Then you do the Sched 1.
I just moved to a new house. My commute is now 5 minutes. 5... minutes. This is extreme duress for a car as the engine will never get to proper operating temperature once it starts to get cold out. Sched 2.
Thats what the oil life monitor for. And thats why Mazda says to use Flexible oil change interval and change oil when the Oil change due notification is displayed. You dont have to guess Schedule 1、Schedule 2, or short trip、long trip, the system will do the calculation for you!

That*s what the oil life monitor for. And that*s why Mazda says to use Flexible oil change interval and change oil when the *Oil change due* notification is displayed. You don*t have to guess Schedule 1*Schedule 2, or short trip*long trip, the system will do the calculation for you!

Does anyone know how it's calculated? Are there characteristics of the oil that are monitored, or is it some calculation based upon miles driven and time driven?

Then you do the Sched 1.

Congrats on the new house, and agree!

Does anyone know how it's calculated? Are there characteristics of the oil that are monitored, or is it some calculation based upon miles driven and time driven?

Light on details, when but I emailed them about this before, they said (about my 2016):

There are tow options you can follow with regards to your CX-5's maintenance intervals inquiry. You can either select a flexible maintenance interval or a fixed maintenance interval. For flexible maintenance interval, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions. Please note that the onboard computer may allow you to go up to 12 months or 10,000 miles in between oil changes, however depending on your driving conditions the system may require that you have your oil changed significantly sooner than that.

If choosing to follow a fixed interval schedule, follow Schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated mainly where NONE of the following conditions apply.

-----Repeated short-distance driving
-----Driving in dusty conditions
-----Driving with extended use of brakes
-----Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
-----Driving on rough or muddy roads
-----Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
-----Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
-----Driving in extremely hot conditions
-----Driving in mountainous conditions continually

*If ANY do apply, FOLLOW Schedule 2. Schedule 2 recommends changing your oil every 4 months or 5,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Then you do the Sched 1.

Congrats on the new house and all those life-hours you're gonna have with your short drive!!!

I had one of those situations before I moved to the country. I had a 3 mile in-town drive each way along with traffic-avoiding flex time (6AM-3PM)...truly unheard of in the DC area. Trips to the grocery store in suburbia were about a mile, with 1-2 block hops in between. I only put a few thousand miles on my truck each year, with lots of starter cycles. (It has 135,000 country miles on it now, and shows no ill effects of 5 years of nothing but short hops.)

My main concern if I were still in that spot would be the oil dilution issues these CDI engines seem to have. But engine options are limited. And it seems silly to hope for a longer commute for the health of one's car, don't it? If the gas savings don't offset potential downsides, the lifestyle enhancement will sure do it!!!

LOL. Thanks guys! It's a lovely home! Pretty stoked.
My commute wasn't squat before. 15 minutes. But I've cut it by 2 thirds.
Wife will drive the CX5 most of the winter as her commute is 40 minutes. I'll drive the Volvo. We'd much rather keep the miles off of that car since it's kind of irreplaceable at this point.
As for the oil life thing, yrwie, gotta be honest... I have a hard time believing in that witchcraft. Especially as you like to point out, Mazda likes to cut corners... I doubt there's much high techery involved in that thing. At best, some simple mathing algorithm.

⋯ As for the oil life thing, yrwie, gotta be honest... I have a hard time believing in that witchcraft. Especially as you like to point out, Mazda likes to cut corners... I doubt there's much high techery involved in that thing. At best, some simple mathing algorithm.
Yes, I also believe Mazdas oil life monitor is doing some calculation based upon miles and time driven, and is not doing the analysis of oil characteristics. But any calculation of driving condition based on history is better than your guess work, 7,500 miles? 5,000 miles? 6 months? And you still can change your oil anytime you want, not limited by the notification of Oil change due.

Now you have been supporting Mazda since you had your 2016.5 CX-5. And Im surprised you dont want to use one of the nice features Mazda designed, Flexible Oil Change Interval, for CX-5 owners. And Mazda recommends Flexible OCI for both Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 driving conditions as stated in your owners manual.

Can someone clarify where the "Flexible oil change interval" setting is? My experience is that when I go in for service the service personnel set the miles and time period until the *Oil change due* alert goes off. If I ask for schedule 2 maintenance they set the app to go off after 6 mo or 5,000 mi per the schedule 2 pdf. Otherwise they set it for the schedule 1 pdf section.

Is there some setting for "flexible oil change interval" that tracks some sort of car usage? Just want to be sure Im not missing something here.

My favorite part about this that I can look at the app and see/change what they have set but they never fail to put one of the clear stickers on the upper left of my windshield telling me when I need to do my next oil change. It always makes me laugh.

Last edited:
Can someone clarify where the "Flexible oil change interval" setting is? My experience is that when I go in for service the service personnel set the miles and time period until the *Oil change due* alert goes off. If I ask for schedule 2 maintenance they set the app to go off after 6 mo or 5,000 mi per the schedule 2 pdf. Otherwise they set it for the schedule 1 pdf section.

Is there some setting for "flexible oil change interval" that tracks some sort of car usage? Just want to be sure Im not missing something here.

My favorite part about this that I can look at the app and see/change what they have set but they never fail to put one of the clear stickers on the upper left of my windshield telling me when I need to do my next oil change. It always makes me laugh.

It is in the "APPS" icon of your homepage screen.

Thats what the oil life monitor for. And thats why Mazda says to use Flexible oil change interval and change oil when the Oil change due notification is displayed. You dont have to guess Schedule 1、Schedule 2, or short trip、long trip, the system will do the calculation for you!
So what your saying is that the Maintenance Indicator can tell from your driving habits schedule 1/2 ? What if its only severe driving for a few months and the rest is non severe driving?

Yes, I also believe Mazdas oil life monitor is doing some calculation based upon miles and time driven, and is not doing the analysis of oil characteristics. But any calculation of driving condition based on history is better than your guess work, 7,500 miles? 5,000 miles? 6 months? And you still can change your oil anytime you want, not limited by the notification of Oil change due.

Now you have been supporting Mazda since you had your 2016.5 CX-5. And Im surprised you dont want to use one of the nice features Mazda designed, Flexible Oil Change Interval, for CX-5 owners. And Mazda recommends Flexible OCI for both Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 driving conditions as stated in your owners manual.
What about time not driven like with engine off since the owners manual also says to change it when its 1 yr.

What about time not driven like with engine off since the owners manual also says to change it when its 1 yr.
Yes. If you let the CX-5 sitting not driving for 12 months with Flexible oil change setting, you will get the wrench indicator and "Oil change due" notification.

Back