Mixing 10 Motor Oils - a test

I love it when guys do stuff like this. I wonder how often the oil lab gets experimental samples.

It's interesting that the used blended oil had more viscosity than new 10W-30 Amazon...but it had some amount of 15W-40 diesel and 35W-30 synthetic engine oil in it. The Project Farm guy noted in the comments that the running oil pressure was slightly higher with the blend.

I've always been told that engines are giant blenders, and that mixing oils (or going back & forth) is not going to hurt anything. But that predates "modern" engines.

Reading the video comments was interesting. One guy stated that viscosity matters for some variable timing systems. Don't know how true that is or why that would be.

That being said, one would think that any engine with a turbo might have less tolerance to variations in oil specs.

Last edited:
I would say definitely not if they are all the same api class and weight.

Watch the vid. The guy used viscosities that were all over the place,including 15W-40 diesel engine oil.

Watch the vid. The guy used viscosities that were all over the place,including 15W-40 diesel engine oil.
So I guess that*s the reason for the slightly higher oil pressure? I also would think the resulting viscosity of the mix would end up with more long term wear than is shown in this test.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess that*s the reason for the slightly higher oil pressure? I also would think the resulting viscosity of the mix would end up with more long term wear than is shown in this test.

Yeh, the guy's comment was in response to someone asking if the oil pressure increased due to the higher viscosities. (He also used some 35W-30 synthetic.) So 30% of the oil was pretty high viscosity. Of course, that being the cause of the increased oil pressure is only an (reasonable) assumption.

And all we know is what the measurements were after 4,500 miles in an engine with over 230,000 on it.

The guy did comment that at the end of the test it was down a quart (he said it was normal for that engine at that mileage), so perhaps if it's that worn, the tolerances have loosened up so as to have some degree of reduced friction, which may diminish the value of this test. The oil analysis did not show excess metals...high mileage slop may be why.

Last edited:
Back