2012 CX9 with 75k Miles - Too Late to Switch to Synthetic Oil?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hello, All. Has my CX9 since brand new in 2012 and always used conventional 5W-20. Picked up some oil at Wal Mart the other day and noticed the synthetics are almost the same price as conventional these days. Id like to switch, but Ive read some older cars that have always used conventional may exhibit leaks if switching to synthetic. But having 75k miles - do you think its too old to switch or should I give it a shot?

Thanks for your opinion!

It will be no problem to switch to synthetic engine oil or to switch back to conventional oil. There's a lot of misinformation out there.

Do It! 103k on mine and I still use it. I run 5w30 most of the time Mobil 1 full synth (not the extended 15,000 mile stuff, don't buy that) and Mobil 1 filter, oil & filter change every 5k or 1 year. 5/20 is thinner better gas mileage and a little more power, but 5/30 will protect the motor better and also does not use nearly as much oil. Since day 1 my CX-9 would use tons of 5/20, somewhere in the ballpark of two to three quarts every 5,000 miles. With the Mobil 1 5/30, it only uses somewhere around a quart and a half every 5000.

Back