2007~2015 2008 CX-9 - Smart Card Only Opens/Closes Lift-Gate (Doesn't Unlock Doors)

tchocky

Hi all -

We recently purchased a used 2008 CX-9 that came with two smart cards. The smart cards will not lock/unlock the doors but the red light on the cards does light up. If the doors are already unlocked the lift-gate button on the smart cards does open/close the gate when pressed and held. The red "KEY" light had been permanently illuminated on the dashboard since purchasing the car. To add to this issue, the power lock buttons inside the car do not lock/unlock the driver's door. I assume this is a bad lock actuator? Would a bad actuator on the driver's door somehow prevent all of the power locks from working when using the smart card? Or are these two issues unrelated?

Also, I can start the car with just the smart card. I do not need to put the physical key into the ignition switch.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tristan

Last edited:
Have you checked the door lock fuse? #15.

Fuse_Block_(Underhood).JPG

Hey Bronco Boy -

Yes, I did check the fuse. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post.
Hmmm, now I'm stumped. LOL

I'd focus on the doors not locking being the main problem, and maybe the smartkey is detecting that? Might have to check for power at the locks?

Back