Winter/Snow tires

Can someone confirm or deny that the following wheel would be a good fit for 2020 CX-5 GT? I would be mounting snow tires on them. Thanks!

SPECIFICATIONS​

• SIZE:17x7.5
  • OFFSET:+40
  • PCD:5-108.0/114.3
  • FINISH:Silver
  • CONSTRUCTION:A3
  • HUB BORE:73.10
  • SUGGESTED TIRE SIZE:225/65R17

So, it seems relevant to ask here rather than start a new thread for this.

We're driving to the northeastern US next week from Miami - for just a short trip, will our all-seasons be fine, or should I go ahead and order snow tires?

We're driving to the northeastern US next week from Miami - for just a short trip, will our all-seasons be fine, or should I go ahead and order snow tires?
I'd rent a car, lol. It's been snowing more than usual and the temps are cold. Honestly, I can't see burning up a set of snows driving from a warm climate from Florida unless money is no option. The highways are clear, and lots of people get around with all seasons, but I'm not one of them.

This really depends on many variables. If you have driving experience in snow belt, you drive only on the main roads or Interstates, and the weather condition is good during the trip, there shouldn’t be too much concern to drive into the Northeast with all-season tires. Of course there’re always some risks involved even if most major roads have been cleared without snow and ice, but sometimes an icy patch just shows up at the wrong time driving in the dark may give you some trouble. I personally would do it with all-season tires provided the weather condition is good, and wait several days until the most major roads are cleared after a major winter storm. Afterall I’d been driving cars with regular tires during the winter storm and survived in Iowa when I was young. Just take your time and drive slowly when the weather and road condition are bad.

I'd rent a car, lol. It's been snowing more than usual and the temps are cold. Honestly, I can't see burning up a set of snows driving from a warm climate from Florida unless money is no option. The highways are clear, and lots of people get around with all seasons, but I'm not one of them.
The problem will be the rental cars in Miami won’t have snow tires on them. ;)

Yeah...I already know that, but if he was worried about getting in a wreck it wouldn't be his car...:unsure:

Can someone confirm or deny that the following wheel would be a good fit for 2020 CX-5 GT? I would be mounting snow tires on them. Thanks!

SPECIFICATIONS​

• SIZE:17x7.5
  • OFFSET:+40
  • PCD:5-108.0/114.3
  • FINISH:Silver
  • CONSTRUCTION:A3
  • HUB BORE:73.10
  • SUGGESTED TIRE SIZE:225/65R17

These rims absolutely would fit. OEM hub bore is 67.1mm. The larger 73.1mm hub bore is common on aftermarket wheels because they're intended to fit on a wide range of vehicles. When you buy a wheel with a larger hub bore, you just have to ensure that you torque the wheels correctly using a "star" pattern. Otherwise, you can buy a set of 73.1 > 67.1 hubcentric rings and install them with those wheels.

The only other thing to consider is that the inner rim will sit 5mm closer to the suspension, but that shouldn't be a problem (double check the front/rear clearance yourself).

As a HUGE fan of Snow Tires, I'll be the one to say it: you'll be fine on All Seasons. Surely most of your freeways will be cleared unless we get an EXTREME weather event. Snow tires really shine around town when you are stopping and going and moving over snow that's piled up at the end of your street or or or....

As a HUGE fan of Snow Tires, I'll be the one to say it: you'll be fine on All Seasons. Surely most of your freeways will be cleared unless we get an EXTREME weather event. Snow tires really shine around town when you are stopping and going and moving over snow that's piled up at the end of your street or or or....
well said...

Pre-covid, that was a definite possibility. You used to see lots of rental cars with Canadian plates on them at MIA and FLL. This year, not many at all.

I swung by MIA's car rental center earlier today and made an accidental "right" into the car rental garage to take a peek at the fleets. Almost everything either had FL, GA, or TX plates.

You didn't say where in NE you were headed. If you're hugging the coast and just headed up as far as NYC/LI, you'll be just fine on all seasons. If you're going anywhere hilly (CT, MA and up, or PA and west) you'll still be OK as long as the weather is good and the roads have been cleared.

These rims absolutely would fit. OEM hub bore is 67.1mm. The larger 73.1mm hub bore is common on aftermarket wheels because they're intended to fit on a wide range of vehicles. When you buy a wheel with a larger hub bore, you just have to ensure that you torque the wheels correctly using a "star" pattern. Otherwise, you can buy a set of 73.1 > 67.1 hubcentric rings and install them with those wheels.

The only other thing to consider is that the inner rim will sit 5mm closer to the suspension, but that shouldn't be a problem (double check the front/rear clearance yourself).

I was wrong, sorry. sm1ke is right, they would fit.

You didn't say where in NE you were headed. If you're hugging the coast and just headed up as far as NYC/LI, you'll be just fine on all seasons. If you're going anywhere hilly (CT, MA and up, or PA and west) you'll still be OK as long as the weather is good and the roads have been cleared.

Furthest point north will be Philly

Definitely hub-centric rings are required...

The larger 73.1mm hub bore is common on aftermarket wheels because they're intended to fit on a wide range of vehicles. When you buy a wheel with a larger hub bore, you just have to ensure that you torque the wheels correctly using a "star" pattern.

Definitely hub-centric rings are required..

Is there a consensus on whether centering rings are required or not?

The rings allow the hub to be used as a centering point, so that when you place the wheel on the wheel hub, the wheel rests tightly on the hub, instead of hanging on the wheel studs. If you were to install the lugnuts without hubcentric rings using an impact gun and not following a star pattern, the wheel may not be perfectly centered, which can result in vibration. I've had good luck so far without rings, but I always hand tighten the lugs in a star pattern when the car is in the air, then hand tighten again once the car is on the ground (don't have a torque wrench yet). Hubcentric rings are not load-bearing once the wheel is secured to the hub with the lug nuts.

Basically it's better to have them. They're cheap anyway. Use metal rings whenever possible, I've heard of plastic rings melting.

Back