Winter/Snow tires

Taking your tires to work, Colorado?!? UGH! TOO MUCH EFFORT.
wtf...

LOL, yeah I load all 4 up in the back (don't even need to lower the seats), and the tire shop is literally around the corner from the office. And since I make an appointment for the switchovers, it tends to be super quick. It'll be even quicker once I pick-up a set of wheels, though that's $400+ I keep not wanting to spend, but long term will probably save money.

Don't they ALWAYS have that deal? Mom in law bought some about a month ago and got it.

Maybe? Locally I only saw a deal for a specific tire model with Bridgestone. Some Dueller tire.

I'm looking at the WS-90s for this winter since they are supposed to last longer. Anyone know if there are any Bridgestone $70 off or whatever deals coming up? I'd imagine not, but thought I'd check.

COSTCO seems to have $70 off on Bridgestones on a regular basis. Even if you buy them without the discount they will refund the $70(+tax) if the tires are discounted the next month and you bring your receipt back when the sale starts. They sometimes know when the next deal starts.

This is what I plan to do this winter. Buy hub-centric steel rims to mount my snow tires on. I have used steel rims on all my previous three vehicles. If you think you want to "pretty" them up you can always buy some wheel covers.

Wade

Is there any benefit to steel wheels besides cost?

Used 17" Mazda wheels from a Mazda 3 or others are very inexpensive and guaranteed to have the correct hub bore and stud pattern. The offsets and wheel widths are close enough.

Hyundai and Kia OEM also match.

I got used wheels off of Craigslist for considerably less than new steel wheels, especially hub-centric.

I kind of like the look of undecorated black steel wheels though.

COSTCO seems to have $70 off on Bridgestones on a regular basis. Even if you buy them without the discount they will refund the $70(+tax) if the tires are discounted the next month and you bring your receipt back when the sale starts. They sometimes know when the next deal starts.

Good to know. I don't have a Costco membership, but my Dad does. I'll have to check. I think they are doing Michelin promotions right now last I heard.

Zero.
Some people like them because winter is tough on rims. Don't need to worry about scratches or anything on steelies.

Just checked local Firsstone that sells the Blizzaks. No money off deal. Free oil change.

Used 17" Mazda wheels from a Mazda 3 or others are very inexpensive and guaranteed to have the correct hub bore and stud pattern. The offsets and wheel widths are close enough.

I got used wheels off of Craigslist for considerably less than new steel wheels, especially hub-centric.

Besides cost, some people like them because they can take abuse. They're less likely to bend or crack. On the other hand, steel wheels are also typically heavier than comparable aftermarket alloys.

Using OEM wheels from a different make is usually a good call, but you need to do your research. Hub bore, bolt pattern, offset, wheel width and diameter are important, but there are other factors that must also be considered. For example, backspacing, brake caliper clearance, load rating, lug nut seating, etc.

Last edited:

I just purchased new snow tires for the CX5. Michelin Ice xi2 225/65 17 inch mounted on 17 inch steel rims. They will be put on in mid November. I have had great success with the Michelins in the past and as noted above the steel rims are cost effective. Also, Michelin currently has a $70 rebate on the purchase of 4 snows.

Wade

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting my first CX-5. I have a cabin in Northeast Pennsylvania, and it gets quite snowy and icey and freezing cold. I'd be interested in knowing people's impressions of how the CX-5 performs under those conditions, from those who stick with the all-seasons and also from those who install snow tires for the winter. Thanks.

I have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 mounted on AL wheels for my 2016 CX-5. As a point of reference, I was able to cruise going about 55-60mph in about 4" of snow during a heavy snow storm, with the tires being 3 years old already. I was overall, extremely pleased with the performance.

I just purchased new snow tires for the CX5. Michelin Ice xi2 225/65 17 inch mounted on 17 inch steel rims. They will be put on in mid November. I have had great success with the Michelins in the past and as noted above the steel rims are cost effective. Also, Michelin currently has a $70 rebate on the purchase of 4 snows.

Wade

Will those size tires (225/65 R17) on wheels that are 17x8 w/35mm offset work on the CX-5? I bought them for my Jeep Cherokee, which will be going bye-bye at the end if its lease. Thanks!

Will those size tires (225/65 R17) on wheels that are 17x8 w/35mm offset work on the CX-5? I bought them for my Jeep Cherokee, which will be going bye-bye at the end if its lease. Thanks!

I don't know if they would work on wheels with that off-set. I purchase my tires and rim from a local reputable tire shop who provides their expertise and knowledge in providing me with the recommendations as to what will fit the CX5.

Wade

Besides cost, some people like them because they can take abuse. They're less likely to bend or crack. On the other hand, steel wheels are also typically heavier than comparable aftermarket alloys.

Using OEM wheels from a different make is usually a good call, but you need to do your research. Hub bore, bolt pattern, offset, wheel width and diameter are important, but there are other factors that must also be considered. For example, backspacing, brake caliper clearance, load rating, lug nut seating, etc.

In 2014 my Mazda dealer sold me some new 17" alloy rims that were for the CX-7(discontinued in 2012) which they wanted to clear out at a really good price. This might be a good option for others looking for 17" alloy rims if their local dealer happens to still have any of these on their back shelf. Worth asking.

Besides cost, some people like them because they can take abuse. They're less likely to bend or crack.

It is true that they can take more abuse. But the second sentence is wrong. Steel wheels are more likely to bend, while alloys generally break. Steel wheels never lose a chunk of metal like alloys often do.

It is true that they can take more abuse. But the second sentence is wrong. Steel wheels are more likely to bend, while alloys generally break. Steel wheels never lose a chunk of metal like alloys often do.

I've never had a steel wheel bend, but you're right. Maybe I've just been lucky with the steel wheels I've used.

Cherokee Wheel size: 17"-18"; Lug pattern: 5 x 110(metric); Studs: 12mm x 1.25; Center bore: 65.1

Tires will work, but wheels will not. The Mazda requires 5 x 114.3 lug pattern and 67.1 center bore. OEM wheels are +45mm offset (the hub is 55mm in front of the center of the wheel).
I'll repeat the suggestion made earlier in the thread: used wheels especially from another Mazda are the least expensive option. Craigslist and car-part dot com and Look for CX7, Mazda3, Mazda6 and others.

Last edited:
Also posted in the Lounge "Vibration" thread. Can anyone recommend a winter tire that is vibration free (more or less) at 60+ mph? I have a 2019 Signature and have no problems with the Michelins.

Also posted in the Lounge "Vibration" thread. Can anyone recommend a winter tire that is vibration free (more or less) at 60+ mph? I have a 2019 Signature and have no problems with the Michelins.

I have Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s on my CX-9. I've had Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80s and Michelin X-ice Xi3s on previous cars, and I've got Dunlop Graspic DS3 on my 06 Civic. None of these have ever had vibration issues at any speed (that I noticed, at least).

Back