Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter/Snow tires

When I bought my Blizzaks (DM-V2) I was planning to get 17" steelies. Tirerack had 1 last set (only 4 left!) of these black rims for $99/each. The steel wheels were $79/each. So for $80.00, you bet I did.
    Thing is a snow mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Thing is, changing tires all the time, taking them to work, etc. Gets super old, and I've never had issues with all seasons that a winter woulda solved.
    Super old? 2 days a year?!? 2 DAYS out of 365. Come on man.
    You cannot get in my (old) driveway on All Seasons many days. Never a problem on snows.
    First hand experience.
    All Season? Let's play the driveway game! Back into the neighbors driveway, get some speed! AW! Almost made it! Try again!
    Snows? First time every time.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 GT PP

Swapping out the all-seasons for my DM-V2 wheel set today. First big storm of the year arrives Wednesday evening. Changing wheels on the CX-5 is easy compared to the F-150...those things are HEAVY.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Thing is, changing tires all the time, taking them to work, etc. Gets super old, and I've never had issues with all seasons that a winter woulda solved.
    I don't know how changing tires 2 times a year for an hour each if even constitutes "all the time" that gets "super old".

Winter for sure doesn't solve everything, but it does solve a lot.

Last 2 seasons were night and day difference in confidence driving on snowy and many cases icy roads over the all-seasons I used to brag about being "great" in the snow. I'm converted.

Was very happy with the performance (though not the tread-life) of my WS-80s. I'm looking at the WS-90s for this winter since they are supposed to last longer. Anyone know if there are any Bridgestone $70 off or whatever deals coming up? I'd imagine not, but thought I'd check.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 86k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    I don't know how changing tires 2 times a year for an hour each if even constitutes "all the time" that gets "super old".
    Taking your tires to work, Colorado?!? UGH! TOO MUCH EFFORT.
    wtf...

Anyone know if there are any Bridgestone $70 off or whatever deals coming up? I'd imagine not, but thought I'd check.
    Don't they ALWAYS have that deal? Mom in law bought some about a month ago and got it.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Taking your tires to work, Colorado?!? UGH! TOO MUCH EFFORT.
    wtf...
    LOL, yeah I load all 4 up in the back (don't even need to lower the seats), and the tire shop is literally around the corner from the office. And since I make an appointment for the switchovers, it tends to be super quick. It'll be even quicker once I pick-up a set of wheels, though that's $400+ I keep not wanting to spend, but long term will probably save money.

Don't they ALWAYS have that deal? Mom in law bought some about a month ago and got it.
    Maybe? Locally I only saw a deal for a specific tire model with Bridgestone. Some Dueller tire.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post

I'm looking at the WS-90s for this winter since they are supposed to last longer. Anyone know if there are any Bridgestone $70 off or whatever deals coming up? I'd imagine not, but thought I'd check.
    COSTCO seems to have $70 off on Bridgestones on a regular basis. Even if you buy them without the discount they will refund the $70(+tax) if the tires are discounted the next month and you bring your receipt back when the sale starts. They sometimes know when the next deal starts.

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Zig613 View Post
    This is what I plan to do this winter. Buy hub-centric steel rims to mount my snow tires on. I have used steel rims on all my previous three vehicles. If you think you want to "pretty" them up you can always buy some wheel covers.

Wade
    Is there any benefit to steel wheels besides cost?

Used 17" Mazda wheels from a Mazda 3 or others are very inexpensive and guaranteed to have the correct hub bore and stud pattern. The offsets and wheel widths are close enough.

Hyundai and Kia OEM also match.

I got used wheels off of Craigslist for considerably less than new steel wheels, especially hub-centric.

I kind of like the look of undecorated black steel wheels though.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by kdaug View Post
    COSTCO seems to have $70 off on Bridgestones on a regular basis. Even if you buy them without the discount they will refund the $70(+tax) if the tires are discounted the next month and you bring your receipt back when the sale starts. They sometimes know when the next deal starts.
    Good to know. I don't have a Costco membership, but my Dad does. I'll have to check. I think they are doing Michelin promotions right now last I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    Zero.
    Some people like them because winter is tough on rims. Don't need to worry about scratches or anything on steelies.

Just checked local Firsstone that sells the Blizzaks. No money off deal. Free oil change.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Used 17" Mazda wheels from a Mazda 3 or others are very inexpensive and guaranteed to have the correct hub bore and stud pattern. The offsets and wheel widths are close enough.

I got used wheels off of Craigslist for considerably less than new steel wheels, especially hub-centric.

Besides cost, some people like them because they can take abuse. They're less likely to bend or crack. On the other hand, steel wheels are also typically heavier than comparable aftermarket alloys.

Using OEM wheels from a different make is usually a good call, but you need to do your research. Hub bore, bolt pattern, offset, wheel width and diameter are important, but there are other factors that must also be considered. For example, backspacing, brake caliper clearance, load rating, lug nut seating, etc.
    Last edited by sm1ke; 10-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 GT, AWD, Metallic Machine Gray

I just purchased new snow tires for the CX5. Michelin Ice xi2 225/65 17 inch mounted on 17 inch steel rims. They will be put on in mid November. I have had great success with the Michelins in the past and as noted above the steel rims are cost effective. Also, Michelin currently has a $70 rebate on the purchase of 4 snows.

Wade
    Last edited by Zig613; 10-08-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
    I'm planning on getting my first CX-5. I have a cabin in Northeast Pennsylvania, and it gets quite snowy and icey and freezing cold. I'd be interested in knowing people's impressions of how the CX-5 performs under those conditions, from those who stick with the all-seasons and also from those who install snow tires for the winter. Thanks.
    I have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 mounted on AL wheels for my 2016 CX-5. As a point of reference, I was able to cruise going about 55-60mph in about 4" of snow during a heavy snow storm, with the tires being 3 years old already. I was overall, extremely pleased with the performance.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zig613 View Post
    I just purchased new snow tires for the CX5. Michelin Ice xi2 225/65 17 inch mounted on 17 inch steel rims. They will be put on in mid November. I have had great success with the Michelins in the past and as noted above the steel rims are cost effective. Also, Michelin currently has a $70 rebate on the purchase of 4 snows.

Wade
    Will those size tires (225/65 R17) on wheels that are 17x8 w/35mm offset work on the CX-5? I bought them for my Jeep Cherokee, which will be going bye-bye at the end if its lease. Thanks!

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature; 2014 CX-9 Touring AWD

What's the bolt pattern and center bore on the Cherokee?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll thank you to kindly see yourself off of my lawn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast