Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter/Snow tires

Registered Member

Winter/Snow tires

I'm planning on getting my first CX-5. I have a cabin in Northeast Pennsylvania, and it gets quite snowy and icey and freezing cold. I'd be interested in knowing people's impressions of how the CX-5 performs under those conditions, from those who stick with the all-seasons and also from those who install snow tires for the winter. Thanks.

Registered Member

'15 CX5 GT

'15 GT AWD and Firestone winter force tires, mounted to 18in Mazdaspeed 3rims in Minnesnowta. I can plow through anything with this rig.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX 5 GT Turbo

Kind of in the same boat, looking at 4seasons, not a lot of options for 19 inch though. Weather ready, firestone, toyo, etc

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

My CX5 wore all-seasons and did just fine on everything but black ice on a 20%+ incline, which nothing will fix.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX 5 GT Turbo

We get about a foot of snow here with ice, sometimes more. Not sure all season will cut it. Not worried above getting going it the stopping.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Winter/Snow tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    We get about a foot of snow here with ice, sometimes more. Not sure all season will cut it. Not worried above getting going it the stopping.
    IMO, getting an extra set of 17 wheels and 225/65R17 snow tires which would be a much cheaper option for your situation.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

That's the key. Depends entirely on the nature of the snow and ice, but I found the OEMs terrible for stopping on wet snow at moderate temps.

If you need to drive in the snow and ice, you'll obviously be a lot better off with winter tires. Having a new set on rims is the best solution if you've got room to store them and can remount them yourself. And they'll work better and be cheaper if they're 17s, as yrwei suggested [but the new rims will cut into the savings].

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Just out of curiosity

Does anyone ever run plain steel wheels on their CX-5?

Registered Member

2018 CX5 GT, AWD, Metallic Machine Gray

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Just out of curiosity

Does anyone ever run plain steel wheels on their CX-5?
    This is what I plan to do this winter. Buy hub-centric steel rims to mount my snow tires on. I have used steel rims on all my previous three vehicles. If you think you want to "pretty" them up you can always buy some wheel covers.

Wade

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Purchased some used Blizzak DM-V2s on black "17 steelies with only 1000 miles back in 2016. Stock are the "19".

They currently have 10,729 miles so probably one or maybe 2 winters left.

Very confident feeling in the winter pass I am in all winter.

No comparison in braking using a dedicated "winter" versus all-season. Easy to fall into the trap of traction and only thinking about vehicle start grip.

'15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 53K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Purchased some used Blizzak DM-V2s on black "17 steelies with only 1000 miles back in 2016. Stock are the "19".

They currently have 10,729 miles so probably one or maybe 2 winters left.

Very confident feeling in the winter pass I am in all winter.

No comparison in braking using a dedicated "winter" versus all-season. Easy to fall into the trap of traction and only thinking about vehicle start grip.

Thing is, changing tires all the time, taking them to work, etc. Gets super old, and I've never had issues with all seasons that a winter woulda solved.

Registered Member

It's not the snow/ice per se, or even the tire tread. It's the special winter compound that winter tires are made of, which keeps them supple in freezing temps. This provides better traction and handling in the cold even on bone dry roads.

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
    It's not the snow/ice per se, or even the tire tread. It's the special winter compound that winter tires are made of, which keeps them supple in freezing temps. This provides better traction and handling in the cold even on bone dry roads.
    Agree with what you are saying and would like to add that just getting down to temp of under plus 7degrees celsius (under 45 deg F) is enough to reap the benefit of snow or winter tires. You do not even need snow or ice. All that advantage, due to that special blend that allows the tire to remain supple and maintain traction in cold weather, snow or not. Most of that is felt during taking turns, braking, accelerating, climbing slopes etc. In some countries (Scandinavia), it is the law. You have to have snow or winter tires in winter. So changing tires becomes a second nature to us here and there are no ifs and buts on our mind set on snow or winter tires here. Once you have slid with an unexpected snowfall (during late autumn), using summer tires will convince you quite rapidly.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Last year we had a horrific snowstorm in November. Dropping temps and snow falling about 2 inches and hour, traffic backed up everywhere. When its like that I take back roads, less traffic and virtually none were plowed. I always put snows on and the vehicle is basically unstoppable. Last year year during this storm there was another CX5 AWD with all-seasons behind me trying to keep up, and although he was plowing through the snow as well, he was doing a lot of slipping and sliding, he didn't have the control like I did. NOTHING beats snow tires in a winter storm. Even if your vehicle gets along fine with all seasons, it will do considerably better with dedicated snow tires. The difference is undeniable.

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

I will be replacing my older Bridgestone WS-70's this winter with either the newer WS-90's or the DM-V2's. Which would be best and why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast