Trim / storage box removal

Hookman49

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
15496B29-E52E-4B5A-B19C-A8FBEB8332B6.jpeg

Not sure what it is called but the storage box on the left hand side is what I am asking about. Has anyone removed this and if so can you please tell me how. Just dont want to damage it.

What I am thinking of doing is (if it is big enough) is to drill a hole in it and add a 12 volt outlet. I am firefighter and need to power my small emergency light.

Thank you,

Not sure but it looks like it should just pop out with a litte prying. Not damaging the main dash body around it is would be the challenge.

Helped a friend who also had a 2016 replace that cubby with one of the aftermarket slotted inserts. If I recall correctly, it does just pop out, but took some significant force due to the clips. And you have to be very careful to not damage the dash around it, but at least for us, using just our fingers didn't work. The cubby part itself is relatively inexpensive, so if you screw it up during the removal or your mod, you could always order a replacement. Not necessarily endorsing this exact sourcing, but just providing it for the part info and likely expense:

https://www.onlinemazdaparts.com/p/Mazda_2016_CX-5-Sport-Sport-Utility-25L-SKYACTIV-MT-FWD/Instrument-Panel-Storage-Compartment/48706197/KD456418002.html

Nothing against Ms Alba, but I'm holding out for the Stormy Daniels headrest pillows.

If Takata made airbags like that, guys would be installing them hoping that they would inflate prematurely!

View attachment 221446
Not sure what it is called but the storage box on the left hand side is what I am asking about. Has anyone removed this and if so can you please tell me how. Just dont want to damage it.
Hello Hookman49,

Sorry for the night pictures, but I hope they nevertheless show what you may need.

I can do it without any instruments. I put two thumbs onto the lower part of the compartment closer to either left or right side, push down to create some tension and just pull out. In my car right side comes off easier, so I start with it. When on side clips are released I can pull another side and it comes off too. Also, there is a enough space behind it, so you can pull it with one hand while pushing from inside with another hand. Well, that's not that convenient, but doable. The very first time I pulled it out exactly like that.

The compartment has two clips on left and right sides:
01.png

Accordingly, there are 4 holes for those:
02.png
Although it doesn't look that deep in the picture, there is a plenty of space behind the compartment.

But the rear side of the compartment has some kind of connector sockets (have no idea what they might be used for). Well, you can cut them off, but still not sure if the rear wall is big enough for mounting the standard socket. If you plan to go with some smaller custom outlet - that may work.
04.png

The top part is bigger, but there is not that much room above it when it's installed, because of the switches block (the one with TPMS button, blind spot monitoring button and such). Besides, it would be hard to plug the connector in.
03.png

Hope, this help.

P.S. Disclaimer :) You do it at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any possible damage caused by described procedure(s) :)

⋯ I can do it without any instruments. I put two thumbs onto the lower part of the compartment closer to either left or right side, push down to create some tension and just pull out. In my car right side comes off easier, so I start with it. When on side clips are released I can pull another side and it comes off too. Also, there is a enough space behind it, so you can pull it with one hand while pushing from inside with another hand. Well, that's not that convenient, but doable. The very first time I pulled it out exactly like that.

:)
Thanks for detailed info on this storage box and removal.

Ive been wondering if the storage / coin box with a lid found on Mazda6 at the same location would fit into here for our gen-1 CX-5?

Ive been wondering if the storage / coin box with a lid found on Mazda6 at the same location would fit into here for our gen-1 CX-5?
Can't say for sure, never seen Mazada6's close enough. I'm kind of new to Mazdas :) Just touched a couple of things.

Hello Hookman49,

Sorry for the night pictures, but I hope they nevertheless show what you may need.

I can do it without any instruments. I put two thumbs onto the lower part of the compartment closer to either left or right side, push down to create some tension and just pull out. In my car right side comes off easier, so I start with it. When on side clips are released I can pull another side and it comes off too. Also, there is a enough space behind it, so you can pull it with one hand while pushing from inside with another hand. Well, that's not that convenient, but doable. The very first time I pulled it out exactly like that.

The compartment has two clips on left and right sides:
View attachment 221447

Accordingly, there are 4 holes for those:
View attachment 221448
Although it doesn't look that deep in the picture, there is a plenty of space behind the compartment.

But the rear side of the compartment has some kind of connector sockets (have no idea what they might be used for). Well, you can cut them off, but still not sure if the rear wall is big enough for mounting the standard socket. If you plan to go with some smaller custom outlet - that may work.
View attachment 221450

The top part is bigger, but there is not that much room above it when it's installed, because of the switches block (the one with TPMS button, blind spot monitoring button and such). Besides, it would be hard to plug the connector in.
View attachment 221449

Hope, this help.

P.S. Disclaimer :) You do it at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any possible damage caused by described procedure(s) :)

Thank you so very much. Going to try this out. Very much appreciate the details

Completed

So thank you for everyones assistance with this. Removed the storage box and milled the excess plastic from the rear. Drilled a hole in the middle and screwed in the 12volt outlet. Ran the wires and finished.

Trying to add photos but for some reason having an issue.

Not sure but it looks like it should just pop out with a litte prying. Not damaging the main dash body around it is would be the challenge.
I’m thinking a small plastic trim tool (most auto stores, Walmart, Harbor Freight, online) would remove it with zero damage to surrounding facia. Absent that, a small standard blade screwdriver with electrial tape over the tip will also work. Should pop out with a bit of “persuasion.”

Back