Heads Up

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
What about the heads up display? I've been giving it a try but not being a Top Gun pilot I find it pretty distracting especially at night. What's it called in the manual and can you shut it off?

What about the heads up display? I've been giving it a try but not being a Top Gun pilot I find it pretty distracting especially at night. What's it called in the manual and can you shut it off?

Not sure if you can disable it but you can lower it to the point where you don't see it.

Give it some more time to get used to it, I think it's one of the best features on the Reserve or Sig.
It's great, especially if you have a heavy foot, it will tell you the current speed limit, traffic signs, on-coming cars, etc.
It also works with Nav so you can see the turnpoints. There's lots of info there.

Thanks for the responses. There are no radar traps or police checking your speed here so it's a feature I don't really need. I'll give it more time though as suggested. Maybe get used to it. I have dimmed it down a bit.

Last edited:
It*s called the Active Driving Display and it has a screen of settings in the infotainment display, including brightness. Aside from displaying your speed, it displays navigation information, BSM warnings, Lane Departure warnings, traffic sign recognition, cruise control status, and so on. It*s all covered in the manual.

You can turn it off in settings but it will default to on every time you switch it on. Get a piece of black felt or microfibre cloth and lay it inside the projector void on top of the dash.

Thanks again. I'll just turn it down. Like the felt suggestion, reminds of the Car Talk guys telling listeners they could fix warning light issues with a piece of black tape.

My CX 5 is my first car with an HUD. I have come to like it, especially when using the NAV. I have adjusted the position to be as low as possible and still visible. I'm am old school driver like a few others here and generally have disdain for many features that younger drivers seem to demand as I find them distracting or lazy, but the HUD is a good feature and well executed in this case.

My first HUD and it blows me away! I still am not used to it, but it's an amazing safety feature. It appears like it's right at the end of the hood yet it's simply projected onto the windshield. A very interesting optical effect.

My CX 5 is my first car with an HUD. I have come to like it, especially when using the NAV. I have adjusted the position to be as low as possible and still visible. I'm am old school driver like a few others here and generally have disdain for many features that younger drivers seem to demand as I find them distracting or lazy, but the HUD is a good feature and well executed in this case.

Cars are getting very complicated and I can see how boomers might be not liking this direction. However Mazda did right with the CX-5, just the right balance of manual controls/HUD and what you have to access in the infotainment system. Thank god Mazda has a normal shifter.

Cars are getting very complicated and I can see how boomers might be not liking this direction. However Mazda did right with the CX-5, just the right balance of manual controls/HUD and what you have to access in the infotainment system. Thank god Mazda has a normal shifter.

I don't think it's so much that "boomers don't like it", I think it's more like "boomers don't like ceding control to autonomous systems".
This is only the first step in a much bigger plan. I guess boomers are smart enough to see it coming.

I don't think it's so much that "boomers don't like it", I think it's more like "boomers don't like ceding control to autonomous systems".
This is only the first step in a much bigger plan. I guess boomers are smart enough to see it coming.

Boomer: Invents computer.
Also Boomer: Skynet is coming!

Thanks again. I'll just turn it down. Like the felt suggestion, reminds of the Car Talk guys telling listeners they could fix warning light issues with a piece of black tape.

If you can understand those guys, your English is better than mine is!

When you say "normal shifter," do you mean like the original speed-shifter design where pulling back is upshifting and bumping forward is downshifting ('cause that works with momentum rather than against it?)

ps: I'm a boomer and the HUD is why I stopped looking at other cars once I drove the CX-5. I wish they would include more gauges on it (tach, water temp, oil pressure). I find I don't pay attention to the temp because I don't look at the dash for my speed.

I gotta say what I don't like is the radio in the infotainment system. I used to be able to just reach out and know where the right button was for the station I want. Now I have to look at/navigate through a computer screen. For all the safety lockouts on these cars, this is a step backwards.

It was one of the main selling points for me, I hardly ever look at the regular instrument panel anymore. It does miss a lot of "Stop" signs though.

Last edited:
ps: I'm a boomer and the HUD is why I stopped looking at other cars once I drove the CX-5. I wish they would include more gauges on it (tach, water temp, oil pressure). I find I don't pay attention to the temp because I don't look at the dash for my speed.

If they put too much info up there, it will become harder to discern what you're looking for.

I think they got it just right. Sometimes less is more. Don't want it to become another distraction.

It was one of the main selling points for me, I hardly ever look at the regular instrument panel anymore. It does miss a lot of "Stop" signs though.

As long as your eyes don't miss them.... :)

Back