Heads Up

I love the HUD. It shows me the minimal info I need to see + it shows stop signs. Beautiful implementation. I think the CX-5 is the best mass production vehicle Mazda has ever made and the 2020s is going to be huge for them. I wouldn't be surprised if by 2025 there is an all-electric CX-5.

Boomer: Invents computer.
Also Boomer: Skynet is coming!

I wouldn't go as far as Skynet, just self-driving cars. It will keep older drivers in their cars and provide a revenue stream to the car companies since a lot of millennials aren't buying cars.

I wouldn't go as far as Skynet, just self-driving cars. It will keep older drivers in their cars and provide a revenue stream to the car companies since a lot of millennials aren't buying cars.

Back in the 90s I read an article that said it only takes 1 car in 10 in congested areas to be self-driving in order to make a significant impact on congestion. It all has to do with the ways humans react in traffic and how the computers can better anticipate changes in flow.

Years later I worked for a contractor who did consulting for the D.O.T. and they confirmed that the "1 in 10" theory was still widely accepted.

Interesting stuff.

If they put too much info up there, it will become harder to discern what you're looking for.

I think they got it just right. Sometimes less is more. Don't want it to become another distraction.

I get what you're saying. And there probably is a downside to your windshield looking like Top Gun. But if they give me a gauge and expect me to use it (tach, temp), then put it where I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see it.

Of course, some enterprising idiot would find a way to hack it so they could play Candy Crush during their commute.

Back in the 90s I read an article that said it only takes 1 car in 10 in congested areas to be self-driving in order to make a significant impact on congestion. It all has to do with the ways humans react in traffic and how the computers can better anticipate changes in flow.

Years later I worked for a contractor who did consulting for the D.O.T. and they confirmed that the "1 in 10" theory was still widely accepted.

Interesting stuff.

Or 1 car in 10 to completely screw traffic flow up. Like one moron driving slow in the left lane of a 2 lane road.

Or 1 car in 10 to completely screw traffic flow up. Like one moron driving slow in the left lane of a 2 lane road.

Maybe those are the morons these successful outcomes are predicated upon replacing!

Cars are getting very complicated and I can see how boomers might be not liking this direction. However Mazda did right with the CX-5, just the right balance of manual controls/HUD and what you have to access in the infotainment system. Thank god Mazda has a normal shifter.
Hey, don't paint all us boomers with the same brush, eh.
I have the 2017 HUD, the piece of plastic that pops up out of the dash, and I love it. I wish it was one of those that projected onto the windshield. Even better.
I worked in the high tech world for most of my working life, so I like the techie stuff. So there. blfffst.

Pitter: how's it going with the HUD (aka active display)
it takes a little getting used to, I love it but it's not a feature for everyone.

Did you turn it down?
cover it?

I love the HUD.

I wish there were more info on it. At least add the water temp, since with the HUD, I've no other reason to look at the dash.

The HUD was one of the main gadgets that attracted me to the CX-5. I really like knowing that if I flake out, or if I'm in an unknown area, I won't worry about a missed speed limit change.

I also like the "You're following too close" reminder right there. Yeh, I don't need it to know when I'm tailgating. And I've been driving for nearly 50 years and have never run into the back of another car. But it reminds me to take it easy. That's a good thing. (If I still lived in the congested DC area, I would turn this function off.)

I loved the HUD from my first test drive.

Jedi54 thanks I made some adjustments to it, lowered brightness and position and am fine with it now. There are actually some places where speed is measured by cameras here so handy at those.

Its terrible you should be able to turn it off and it should stay off. My wife hates them very distracting. Also I cant use them as I get extremely nauseous and dizzy In just a couple minutes. Hate them shoving this down your throat without a easy way to leave it off.

It*s terrible you should be able to turn it off and it should stay off. My wife hates them very distracting. Also I can*t use them as I get extremely nauseous and dizzy In just a couple minutes. Hate them shoving this down your throat without a easy way to leave it off.

As mentioned, adjust the display all the way up or all the way down, or put a piece of paper/cardboard over the display. I'd say that's a pretty easy solution.

I've become accustomed to it but as mentioned you can set the brightness so low you can't even see it in the day time.

Turn down the brightness and wear polarized sunglasses.
I had to buy a pair of the amber-tinted non-polarized clip-ons so I could see the darned thing in daylight hours.

It's interesting to hear people hating on a feature that was one of the top things I liked about the car.

After driving cars with HUD, i CANNOT go back to one without it. I do wish they added a TACH to the display, that would be pretty cool. I really like that they incorporated the blind spot indicators.

After driving cars with HUD, i CANNOT go back to one without it. I do wish they added a TACH to the display, that would be pretty cool. I really like that they incorporated the blind spot indicators.

I've said the exact same thing.

If I can't have a tach, and I can't have an oil pressure gauge, then at least display the turn signals there so I don't inadvertently leave it on as I toodle down the road.

It's interesting to hear people hating on a feature that was one of the top things I liked about the car.

Me too. Different strokes I guess.

I absolutely love having the HUD, but I wouldn't say that it's a make-or-break feature for me. I do miss it when I drive the other car though.

I've said the exact same thing.

If I can't have a tach, and I can't have an oil pressure gauge, then at least display the turn signals there so I don't inadvertently leave it on as I toodle down the road.

Agreed, turn signal indicators would be great on the HUD.

Me too. Different strokes I guess.

I absolutely love having the HUD, but I wouldn't say that it's a make-or-break feature for me. I do miss it when I drive the other car though.

Agreed, turn signal indicators would be great on the HUD.

definitely have to agree, if i HAVE to have one additional thing, it would be the turn signal indicators on the HUD.
But also for people who seem to be distracted by this option, there should also be a way to turn it off permanently and not reset after restart.

only way I have found is to lower HUD from the menu and lower your seat as well. Then turn off sign recognition and no more HUD....

Back