Huge price difference: 2019 vs 2018 Mazda 3

bvanes

I has a very good offer for preowned 2018 Mazda 3 Sedan High(Full Spec) in my country(South East Asia)

1) Preowned unit
2018 Mazda 3 2.0L Sedan High(Full Spec) Auto
Year of Manufacture: 2019
Registered date: April 2019
Price: 24,400 USD
Mileage: below 10k

VS

2) Brand new unit
The latest 2019 Mazda 3 2.0L Sedan High Plus(Full Spec) Auto
Price: 37,900 USD

Honestly, I like the all new Mazda 3. But the price is ridiculously high in my country.

Also, since it is newly launched, they might have a few glitches here and there. But the extwrior and interior are really superb.

Overall, if it is not the pricing, I will definitely go for all new 2019.

* I can afford both units, just it is overpriced(as in our country, the new Mazda 3 is fully imported from Japan).

What do you think?

I think you should buy the one you would enjoy the most. Unless you absolutely need to buy right now, I would wait to buy a leftover "new" 2019, or wait to see if one hits the used market. Personally I'd wait for a 2020 model to ensure that all of the first-year new model "bugs" have been worked out, but that's just me.

You could also buy the used 2018, then turn around and sell it after a year or two without taking much of a loss. Then you could get into a 2020 lol

If you drive on the highway for extended periods of time and intend to keep the car for at least 8 years, the either the 2019 3 or a used Mazda 6 or Lexus may be justifiable.

but skyactive X version

I has a very good offer for preowned 2018 Mazda 3 Sedan High(Full Spec) in my country(South East Asia)

1) Preowned unit
2018 Mazda 3 2.0L Sedan High(Full Spec) Auto
Year of Manufacture: 2019
Registered date: April 2019
Price: 24,400 USD
Mileage: below 10k

VS

2) Brand new unit
The latest 2019 Mazda 3 2.0L Sedan High Plus(Full Spec) Auto
Price: 37,900 USD

Honestly, I like the all new Mazda 3. But the price is ridiculously high in my country.

Also, since it is newly launched, they might have a few glitches here and there. But the extwrior and interior are really superb.

Overall, if it is not the pricing, I will definitely go for all new 2019.

* I can afford both units, just it is overpriced(as in our country, the new Mazda 3 is fully imported from Japan).

What do you think?

I have a 2019 with the skyactiv-G 186 Hp. My gas mileage is approximately 23. (approx 10l/100km) Skyactiv X would have much better mileage than mine with almost the same hp.
We do not have the skyactiv X here because of the emission requirements and that is a big problem.
In Europe they have 2 versions of the motor - the skyactiv G in smaller size and the skyactive X in bigger size with 180Hp.
Don't hesitate and get the skyactiv X motor with the bigger size.
Do not buy the smaller version - because you are going to have the same gas mileage on both.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 with the skyactive G 186 Hp. My gas mileage is approximately 23. (approx 10l/100km) Skyactive X would have much better mileage than mine with almost the same hp.
We do not have the skyactive X here because of the emission requirements and that is a big problem.
In Europe they have 2 versions of the motor - the skyactive G in smaller size and the skyactive X in bigger size with 180Hp.
Don't hesitate and get the skyactive X motor with the bigger size.
Do not buy the smaller version - because you are going to have the same gas mileage on both.

Just as an aside Arrow is a known speed demon. I regularly get over 30 mpg combined and if it's mostly freeway driving, my record is 38 mpg. That being said you have to really work to get 38. 25-30 is normal for mostly city driving and 30-35 for mostly highway.

Well, I don't know about the freeway miles, because I never had a chance to take it out for a longer ride.
But what you don't take into consideration - is that we use 87 regular and the guy in Asia probably utilizes 95.
That would influence the mileage quite significantly.

I wouldn't be surprised if that new 180Hp 2.0L skyactiv X made 40 MPG on a freeway. (~6L/100km)
They say it is 44MPG online, but I don't believe it. I can bet that when I take it for a spin it will give me like 30 MPG.

Does anyone know the gas mileage of that thing?
I am hearing some folks at Irvine have couple of the skyactiv X cars.
Is there anyone from Irvine here to confirm?

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about the freeway miles, because I never had a chance to take it out for a longer ride.
But what you don't take into consideration - is that we use 87 regular and the guy in Asia probably utilizes 95.
That would influence the mileage quite significantly.

I wouldn't be surprised if that new 180Hp 2.0L skyactiv X made 40 MPG on a freeway. (~6L/100km)
They say it is 44MPG online, but I don't believe it. I can bet that when I take it for a spin it will give me like 30 MPG.

Does anyone know the gas mileage of that thing?
I am hearing some folks at Irvine have couple of the skyactiv X cars.
Is there anyone from Irvine here to confirm?

I don't think the Skyactiv X are available in the USA yet, not even on Mazda's website as coming soon. Only way would be test vehicles.

Yes, test vehicles. I clearly mentioned Mazda guys. Nobody else has them here. Just guys in Irvine.
But SkyactivX is sold in other countries. They sell 2 engine versions, lower power skyactivG and higher power skyactivX.
I am planning to do a test drive next time I go to Europe, which may be in December, possibly. Hopefully.

I would get the 2018. There have been quite a few recalls on the new Mazda3. Also the new 3 uses cylinder deactivation which has already had a recall in the CX-5.

Back