OEM Trailer Hitch

If you order a CX-5 with the trailer hitch, is that installed at the factory, the port, or the dealer?

Thanks.

I believe the hitch is always a dealer installed item, and many of them have not done it well. the "Mazda hitch" Actually the hitch Mazda chooses to install requires cutting the bumper. The Curt hitch does not. BTW My daughter had a Curt hitch installed by our local garage. Perfect job, and $40

Do you need wiring as well?

On my 2014, it was a dealer option. Lots of complaints on the crappy job of modifying the bumper so be careful. Ed

I have a fairly honest dealer (a rarity) and they recommended going aftermarket if I wanted a hitch.

I have a fairly honest dealer (a rarity) and they recommended going aftermarket if I wanted a hitch.

I looked at that before I ordered my Reserve. A guy at the local Draw Tite place sent me pics of what their hitches look like installed. They hung prettly far below the bumper.

Since I don't plan on towing anything substantial, I went with the factory hitch because I prefer the look of the receiver up tight to the underside of the car and poking out through the bumper. It's just a cleaner (more custom/factory?) look to me than having the receiver protruding below the bumper. Had the astethics been the same, I would have gone aftermarket for upgraded capacity.

So why did your dealer tell you to go aftermarket? To get a higher class hitch?

So why did your dealer tell you to go aftermarket? To get a higher class hitch?

IIRC (it was 4 years ago) lower cost, quick install (local dealer down the street) and no bumper modification. I think the capacity was the same.

IIRC (it was 4 years ago) lower cost, quick install (local dealer down the street) and no bumper modification. I think the capacity was the same.

Gotcha.

I ordered my car from the factory with a bunch of options installed (hitch, splash guards, rear bumper guard, rails), and the dealer did not realize they had a Reserve of my color in the pipeline. They called me a few weeks later when that car arrived (months ahead of my scheduled delivery) and asked if I would take it if they installed the options there at the same cost. I agreed.

They did a good job on the hitch. Here a thread where the dealer install didn't turn out so good (see below):

attachment.php

My dealer was the same. Said the Mazda hitches are overpriced and poor quality. Told me exactly where to go to get it done and he saved me $320.

I inquired about a hitch. My dealer referred me to a local U-Haul. He says they don't install hitches at the dealer.

I inquired about a hitch. My dealer referred me to a local U-Haul. He says they don't install hitches at the dealer.

That's interesting.

I guess he doesn't trust his guys with notching out a bumper.

Gotcha.

I ordered my car from the factory with a bunch of options installed (hitch, splash guards, rear bumper guard, rails), and the dealer did not realize they had a Reserve of my color in the pipeline. They called me a few weeks later when that car arrived (months ahead of my scheduled delivery) and asked if I would take it if they installed the options there at the same cost. I agreed.

They did a good job on the hitch. Here a thread where the dealer install didn't turn out so good (see below):

attachment.php

That looks really awful. I have a Mazda factory hitch and it looks pretty flush with bumper like totally integrated.

That looks really awful. I have a Mazda factory hitch and it looks pretty flush with bumper like totally integrated.

95% of the people on this forum would do a better job than that, and 100% of us would have too much self-respect to return a car to an owner looking like that.

I went with the Mazda hitch rather than aftermarket because--as you said--it is flush with the bumper and totally integrated...in other words, "OEM."

You're probably right! When done correctly, it looks from the factory. The person installing it was supposed to use a template.

Back