Time to Sell or Keep 2012 CX 9?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hello, All! Thank you very much for the input, I've learned so much here about my wife's 2012 CX 9. We bought it new and now has 75k miles and running perfect with no issues whatsoever. Last year at 60k I changed the spark plugs myself, and now being at 75k I just changed the rear diff fluid, then the (smelly) PTU and transmission fluid twice via drain and fill. Like I said, she's running strong, but after reading all these nightmares about the PTU and water pump both being potential catastrophic time bombs, I was thinking I should sell while I'm ahead. Do you think it's inevitable and a matter of time before I run into these problems? Or do you think I'm being paranoid and should just keep driving (while the wife is happy with it)?

Thanks for your input!

Any vehicle tends to start needing attention at some time. Just the nature of the game. I was in a similar situation earlier this year. I traded my 2010 GT for a new 2019 GT. The only non routine problem was an alternator failure at 100,000 miles. It had 130,000 miles when I traded and honestly, I wonder just how long it would go. Still looked and drove like new. No squeaking, no rattles and everything still worked as it had from day one. It was due a new set of tires and maybe a battery before winter so we decided to go ahead and spring for the new one. Got what I thought was a reasonable deal and haven*t looked back. Sometimes the peace of mind is priceless.

Hello, All! Thank you very much for the input, I've learned so much here about my wife's 2012 CX 9. We bought it new and now has 75k miles and running perfect with no issues whatsoever. Last year at 60k I changed the spark plugs myself, and now being at 75k I just changed the rear diff fluid, then the (smelly) PTU and transmission fluid twice via drain and fill. Like I said, she's running strong, but after reading all these nightmares about the PTU and water pump both being potential catastrophic time bombs, I was thinking I should sell while I'm ahead. Do you think it's inevitable and a matter of time before I run into these problems? Or do you think I'm being paranoid and should just keep driving (while the wife is happy with it)?

Thanks for your input!

You are on the flat part of the depreciation curve at this point, the car is probably declining in value $1k-2k per year. Financially, it makes sense to keep it. Even if you had to replace the engine or transmission, it still probably costs less to drive it than buy a new car and take the big depreciation hit.

Of course, the more important consideration: If the wife is happy, keep it.

Back