2019 CX9 Car Wash, Anything I need to know? or to disable?

Hi Everyone

got my 2019 CX9 Touring a little over a week ago. I was going to take it to a touchless car wash. The Type where u pull in and put it in park and it goes around your car spraying and such. Is there anything I should know or disable? We've taken our 2016 subaru legacy with eyesight to the car wash and I've never had to disable anything but I've seen some mention it but I wasn't sure if that was the car wash places where you put it in neutral and it pushes ur car through the wash.

As far as I know, you shouldn't have to disable anything. Automated washes (of any kind) usually have a disclaimer that states that you shouldn't use the wash if you have hood/sunroof deflectors, window visors, radio antennae (besides the OEM shark fin), or any aftermarket "stick-on" garnishes like those fake hood/fender vents, because they could be ripped/sprayed off and cause paint damage during the washing process. I think they also don't recommend using the wash if you have a ball hitch, but I can't remember. As long as you don't have any of that, you should be fine.

IMO, I wouldn't recommend an automated wash, even if it was touchless. Japanese paint tends to be on the soft side compared to some domestic and most German paint. Mazdas are no exception. On a fairly clean car, a touchless should be fine, but even the smallest speck of dirt can skid along the paint and cause swirl marks. If you're the type who doesn't care so much about the paint as long as it's clean, go nuts. I don't know what color your car is, but if it's a dark colour, I would only hand wash using the 2-bucket method. If it's white or silver, the swirl marks are a lot less noticeable in passing. Just FYI.

Last edited:
As far as I know, you shouldn't have to disable anything. Automated washes (of any kind) usually have a disclaimer that states that you shouldn't use the wash if you have hood/sunroof deflectors, window visors, radio antennae (besides the OEM shark fin), or any aftermarket "stick-on" garnishes like those fake hood/fender vents, because they could be ripped/sprayed off and cause paint damage during the washing process. I think they also don't recommend using the wash if you have a ball hitch, but I can't remember. As long as you don't have any of that, you should be fine.

IMO, I wouldn't recommend an automated wash, even if it was touchless. Japanese paint tends to be on the soft side compared to some domestic and most German paint. Mazdas are no exception. On a fairly clean car, a touchless should be fine, but even the smallest speck of dirt can skid along the paint and cause swirl marks. If you're the type who doesn't care so much about the paint as long as it's clean, go nuts. I don't know what color your car is, but if it's a dark colour, I would only hand wash using the 2-bucket method. If it's white or silver, the swirl marks are a lot less noticeable in passing. Just FYI.

Hey thanks for your advice! :) I don't have any of those attachments or a hitch. The color is the Navy color so pretty Dark in color. Its relatively clean so far. Would I need to disable the rain sensing wipers?

Hey thanks for your advice! :) I don't have any of those attachments or a hitch. The color is the Navy color so pretty Dark in color. Its relatively clean so far. Would I need to disable the rain sensing wipers?

Oh, good point about the rain sensing wipers. I don't know if they remain active when the car is on and in Park. I would turn them off or just turn the car off during the wash.

I have taken mine in automatic car wash with no problem (touchless). I usually turn the car off in there when it starts to reduce the exhaust accumulation and the humidity that gets in through the vents. If you do leave the engine running then yes turn off the rain sensing wiper before hand (you just need to have the wiper stalk in the off position. )

I turn off the Parking sensor, it's more of an annoyance than anything else...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

My CX9 is machine grey, 18 months old. I have been through my local touchless wash perhaps 20 times. No signs at all of paint scratching or any other issues. But I do have to give the car a 'proper' wash every three or four months as the touchless wash does allow a very thin film of road grease to build up, invisible until you see the car after its 'proper' wash!

Latest posts

Back