Thread: Installing a PAC RP4-MZ11 to a 2014 CX-5 with Bose system

Registered Member

Installing a PAC RP4-MZ11 to a 2014 CX-5 with Bose system

Hi, Iím new to the page and found so much useful information around for my car. I recently decided to replace the factory head unit for an Alpine iLX-W650. Doing some research I decided to buy the PAC RP4 to retain most of the OEM settings and such. But Iíve been reading that I have to use some RCA plugs to help balance the audio, this because of the Bose system in the car. Has anyone installed the RP4 that can help me with that? This is going to be the first time Iím installing an aftermarket radio by myself. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

David P
    Last edited by DEPV2109; 08-26-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Registered Member

Mazda CX - 5

Did you get the harness that goes between / connects your Alpine to the car / factory harness?

The PAC RP4 would have come with a harness that would have 4 RCA outs. These will be plugged behind your Alpine headunit provided it has RCA inputs.

I installed Kenwood last week in my 2015 cx5 with Bose and the harness that came with the PAC RP4 made it easy to make the connections.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions. Will try my best to answer.

Registered Member

Hi and thanks for replying. I got a bunch of stuff, I bought the RP4, a dongle to retain the factory reverse camera, the antena connector and a e-brake switch and thatís it. I just followed what the guys from Crutchfield recommended. Did you have to make a lot of cable splicing? And one other thing, what did you do with the factory mic? I was reading a post by Red Baron and he used the factory wiring to connect the aftermarket mic, but the mic that comes with the alpine has a 35mm jack at the end.

Registered Member

Mazda CX - 5

Quote Originally Posted by DEPV2109 View Post
    Hi and thanks for replying. I got a bunch of stuff, I bought the RP4, a dongle to retain the factory reverse camera, the antena connector and a e-brake switch and thatís it. I just followed what the guys from Crutchfield recommended. Did you have to make a lot of cable splicing? And one other thing, what did you do with the factory mic? I was reading a post by Red Baron and he used the factory wiring to connect the aftermarket mic, but the mic that comes with the alpine has a 35mm jack at the end.
    So yes there are a lot of cables and initially it might be overwhelming but work with one connection at a time.

I used ďbutt connectorsĒ to connect the wires. It is recommended to solder but I didnít have that much of patience.

Once I wired everything up I tested the stereo. Everything worked. Then I unplugged everything from behind the stereo and organizes the cables in the double din / install area. Zip ties used where needed.

Regarding the factory mic; my expertise is minimum at best with making it work with the after market unit so I just left it alone and used the double sided tape to mount the mic below / between the instrument cluster and the steering.

I had thought of routing the mic through the A pillar and attach it to the rear view mirror but then again the hassle.

Factory mic stays as is. Untouched.

Let me know how your install goes.

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. Iíll let you know how it goes. And I guess Iíll put the mic near the steering wheel as well.

Registered Member

04 Dodge Neon

Installing a PAC RP4 MZ11 to a 2014 CX 5 with Bose system

This problem isnt just specific to our cars. My friend has a 2016 Impreza with a starlink radio and it does the same thing when streaming Spotify.