2013~2016 Installing a PAC RP4-MZ11 to a 2014 CX-5 with Bose system

DEPV2109

Hi, Im new to the page and found so much useful information around for my car. I recently decided to replace the factory head unit for an Alpine iLX-W650. Doing some research I decided to buy the PAC RP4 to retain most of the OEM settings and such. But Ive been reading that I have to use some RCA plugs to help balance the audio, this because of the Bose system in the car. Has anyone installed the RP4 that can help me with that? This is going to be the first time Im installing an aftermarket radio by myself. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

David P

Last edited:
Did you get the harness that goes between / connects your Alpine to the car / factory harness?

The PAC RP4 would have come with a harness that would have 4 RCA outs. These will be plugged behind your Alpine headunit provided it has RCA inputs.

I installed Kenwood last week in my 2015 cx5 with Bose and the harness that came with the PAC RP4 made it easy to make the connections.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions. Will try my best to answer.

Hi and thanks for replying. I got a bunch of stuff, I bought the RP4, a dongle to retain the factory reverse camera, the antena connector and a e-brake switch and thats it. I just followed what the guys from Crutchfield recommended. Did you have to make a lot of cable splicing? And one other thing, what did you do with the factory mic? I was reading a post by Red Baron and he used the factory wiring to connect the aftermarket mic, but the mic that comes with the alpine has a 35mm jack at the end.

Hi and thanks for replying. I got a bunch of stuff, I bought the RP4, a dongle to retain the factory reverse camera, the antena connector and a e-brake switch and thats it. I just followed what the guys from Crutchfield recommended. Did you have to make a lot of cable splicing? And one other thing, what did you do with the factory mic? I was reading a post by Red Baron and he used the factory wiring to connect the aftermarket mic, but the mic that comes with the alpine has a 35mm jack at the end.

So yes there are a lot of cables and initially it might be overwhelming but work with one connection at a time.

I used butt connectors to connect the wires. It is recommended to solder but I didnt have that much of patience.

Once I wired everything up I tested the stereo. Everything worked. Then I unplugged everything from behind the stereo and organizes the cables in the double din / install area. Zip ties used where needed.

Regarding the factory mic; my expertise is minimum at best with making it work with the after market unit so I just left it alone and used the double sided tape to mount the mic below / between the instrument cluster and the steering.

I had thought of routing the mic through the A pillar and attach it to the rear view mirror but then again the hassle.

Factory mic stays as is. Untouched.

Let me know how your install goes.

Thanks for the advice. Ill let you know how it goes. And I guess Ill put the mic near the steering wheel as well.

Hi, Im new to the page and found so much useful information around for my car. I recently decided to replace the factory head unit for an Alpine iLX-W650. Doing some research I decided to buy the PAC RP4 to retain most of the OEM settings and such. But Ive been reading that I have to use some RCA plugs to help balance the audio, this because of the Bose system in the car. Has anyone installed the RP4 that can help me with that? This is going to be the first time Im installing an aftermarket radio by myself. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

David P

I imagine the Alpine iLX-W650 supports the wireless connection between the cell and this head unit for Android Auto. I couldn't confirm it though. Seems a less expensive way to go than upgrading the upgrade hub Mazda has. I assume this could be a direct swap for the OEM head unit and maintain everything (speakers, mic, camera..etc).

Edit: turns out there's no dash kit for the '16 CX-5 unless some shop made a custom one (per Crutchfield)

Last edited:
Hi, looking to revive this thread as I just purchased an Alpine ilx-w650 and I'm looking for some help. I ordered from Sonic Electronic instead of Crutchfield, so I didn't receive installation instructions.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport without Bose, but Nav screen

I have the following parts:
PAC rp4-mz11
Alpine ilx-w650
Universal backup cam
Metra 40-hd10 antenna adapter

So, I spent a couple hours this morning tearing apart the dash, soldered the spline harness to the pac rp4-mz11, then started plugging the radio up in the CX-5 and noticed a lot of unused plugs that were originally in the CX5, but not going into the Alpine head unit. Is this normal? I didn't expect 3 connecters to be left unconnected. I might just call Crutchfield tomorrow, but hoping to find some help here.

You can't use the center console USB/Aux jack. So that's one.
Another you won't will be the factory bluetooth mic.
The third that you won't use will be the navigation (if you have it).
Won't use the Sirius/XM either.

So, what will you use?
Main wiring harness. That's really about it. You'll need to run your reverse cam wire, run your new bluetooth mic (factory spot in the center of the dash where the Bose center channel speaker would mount is perfect), and new Alpine GPS antenna. You can put that right next to the Bluetooth mic. You'll also need to run your own USB cable to the new deck.

Last edited:
Back