Finally bought new tires

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Im at almost 17K miles, and my Toyo A36s had 5/32 and 6/32 (F and R), respectively, last time they were rotated (every 5K miles). They feel unsafe in the rain at present. I finally sacked up and took advantage of the $70 rebate Continental has, and bought some LX25's. I had REALLY good experiences with my LX20's on my last CX5 (lasted 50K+ miles, did amazing in ALL weather conditions, even white-out snowstorms).

Im at almost 17K miles, and my Toyo A36s had 5/32 and 6/32 (F and R), respectively, last time they were rotated (every 5K miles). They feel unsafe in the rain at present. I finally sacked up and took advantage of the $70 rebate Continental has, and bought some LX25's. I had REALLY good experiences with my LX20's on my last CX5 (lasted 50K+ miles, did amazing in ALL weather conditions, even white-out snowstorms).

Let us know how you like them after you put a few miles on them.

BTW, I thought I was doing great with my original tires on my 18 GT at over 20K miles and still lots of tread. But then I remembered that I run winter tires from December through March.

FYI, I had 4/32 on the right rear, and 4-4.5/32 on the other 3 tires. I have slightly under 17,000mi on the vehicle, and lifetime mpg average thus far is 26.3 mpg

Wow....... Do you do mostly city driving? I have 14,000mi on my GTR and the tired look almost new, but I do 95% highway on my commute.

FYI, I had 4/32 on the right rear, and 4-4.5/32 on the other 3 tires. I have slightly under 17,000mi on the vehicle, and lifetime mpg average thus far is 26.3 mpg

I asked the dealer to have an alignment done on my car. They put it on the machine, verified it was in spec and did not need one, and told me and obviously did not charge for that. This is what I keep telling folks...damn good dealers do exist. Get you one. That was EASY money. They chose honesty.

Almost 25k on odo and all original tires are at 6/32's. They still have plenty of tread but I noticed a little slippage last time I drove in the rain.
Will probably replace in the spring.

The mold release stuff still isn't worn off, so I've not pushed these tires yet. What I can say:

-The car feels lighter with them. Difference between a 3/4 full tank, and a 1/4 full tank, maybe.
-They are a bit more lively than the A36's, meaning it feels like the wheel turns easier, both at speed, and in a parkinglot. "Twitchy" has a negative connotation, so I hesitate to use that word, but it could apply if you were in the right mindset to understand that it's not meant in a bad way, in this case.
-They are quiet. On gravel, concrete, and asphalt. They have no bad tendencies. No resonance nodes 0-105mph. No getting louder in a moderately hard corner. No low-speed growl. Nothing. They just get progressively louder with speed, and they don't get loud at all. Similar to the A36's when new, which I found to be very quiet as well, honestly (previous experience is LX20, RT43-H, Destination LE2, WRG3 SUV, and more). I would say these are "as quiet as any, with NO bad characteristics regardless of speed or dynamic loading within reason")
-They do pick up gravel, but it's not excessive.
-The tread on my A36's was worn, so there was less "squirm" from them, as opposed to these. It is normal for people to thing "these new tires don't corner as hard" when they go from worn-out tread to new full tread, because of this. However, the difference was not bad, and they feel very planted in corners.
-They strike a great balance between responsive, and comfortable.

I have no doubt they will impress me in the snow and rain, etc. just like the LX20's did, and as for now, they are an incredibly well behaved tire. Like a spouse that obviously works out, and also happens to have a master's degree, but can also crack some seriously funny and vulgar jokes, too, all while balancing the checkbook. The whole package. Not EXCEPTIONAL in any way, but with no weak spots I have found, and VERY VERY GOOD! in ALL the ways.

Thanks for the write-up Uno. Always interested in hearing about different tire impressions.

My tire choice has been vindicated. Note that these other tires do not have offerings in OEM size for the CX5 GT-R/Signature. I consider these 2 tires to be the top competitors, and apparently TR did, as well. All 3 tested out VERY SIMILARLY.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=246
Continental CrossContact LX25 is a good tire. It scored 7.66 on Tire Racks Combined Subjective Rating from its road test.

General AltiMAX RT43 which is popular here scored 7.50 in Tire Racks road test. Its the best tire in the test group, and the price is 25% lower than Continental CrossContact LX25! ($155.99 vs. $194.99 from Tire Rack).

Tire Rack Road Test - General AltiMAX RT43

Continental CrossContact LX25 is a good tire. It scored 7.66 on Tire Rack*s Combined Subjective Rating from its road test.

General AltiMAX RT43 which is popular here scored 7.50 in Tire Rack*s road test. It*s the best tire in the test group, and the price is 25% lower than Continental CrossContact LX25! ($155.99 vs. $194.99 from Tire Rack).

Tire Rack Road Test - General AltiMAX RT43

With 45,000K on the OEM Toyo A23's and winter around the corner, it's prudent to do a tire change. Was looking at Conti, BF Goodrich and then also saw that the General Atlimax RT43 is well liked here. Unlike most here have experienced, the Toyos served me well so going with the Generals should be a nice upgrade and not a big hit to the pocketbook.

With 45,000K on the OEM Toyo A23's and winter around the corner, it's prudent to do a tire change. Was looking at Conti, BF Goodrich and then also saw that the General Atlimax RT43 is well liked here. Unlike most here have experienced, the Toyos served me well so going with the Generals should be a nice upgrade and not a big hit to the pocketbook.
General AltiMAX RT43 is a good choice and remember to add 1~3 psi higher than factory recommended tire pressure (36 psi) to get better performance based on member's experience if you ever get one.

General AltiMAX RT43 was the tire I locked in for tire replacement when my Toyo A23's wore out. And I have a set of General AltiMAX RT43's on my 1998 Hinda CR-V and I like them a lot. But I decided to go cheap and got Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tires when Discount Tire were having 10% cash back during Independence Day Event for less than $80 each before installation and tax. Badgerbass is a member here suggested this Radar Dimax AS-8 tire after his 8,000-mile mostly winter road condition experience. And this tire can be another good option for CX-5 owners who wants to pay half of the name-brand price on 19" tires.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Overall have been happy with my Altimax RT43 H-speeds, though feel wise not quite as nice as my old Michelins, but considering the price difference, a worthwhile trade-off. Traction wise, they have performed excellently on dry roads and in the rain. As I have started getting winter tires, can't speak to their effectiveness in the snow.

General AltiMAX* RT43 is a good choice and remember to add 1~3 psi higher than factory recommended tire pressure (36 psi) to get better performance based on member's experience if you ever get one.

Thanks for the info. Considering I always inflate 1-2 PSI more than the recommended, it won't be a new exercise for me.

Overall have been happy with my Altimax RT43 H-speeds, though feel wise not quite as nice as my old Michelins, but considering the price difference, a worthwhile trade-off. Traction wise, they have performed excellently on dry roads and in the rain. As I have started getting winter tires, can't speak to their effectiveness in the snow.

Good to know! Definitely will be an upgrade from the OEM Toyos.

Will have the General AltiMax RT43 225/55R19 99V installed on the 2014 CX-5 AWD GT this coming Saturday. After 45,000K miles on the original TOYO A23s, took a good look at them and glad I didn't wait any longer. Maybe could have stretched them a bit more until they hit the treadwear bars but noticed cracking in the treads. Will be comforting to know I've got good rubber for the coming Fall & Winter weather driving conditions that will soon be upon us here in the NE. (We're expecting another nor'easter later today, I'll probably slow down a bit knowing what's on my 4 corners)

I now have almost 14K miles on these tires. The tread is at 8/32 on all 4 tires, and the last time the oil was changed (8K miles into their tread-life, and 5K since the last time they were looked at...5K ago...) they were not rotated. They wore evenly and have still not been rotated this time. They initially lost some tread, but have held steady, now. The "DWS" "S" portion is still plainly visible.

I have driven them in downpours, wet roads, icy roads, sleet, and light snow. They have been composed on all of it. They have remained very quiet, as well.

On my last road-trip to San Antonio and back, I averaged 26.8mpg down, and 25.X up. I think it was 25.4 or something, but don't recall EXACTLY. This compares to the Toyo A36's as they averaged 27.3mpg down, and 28.7 up, with similar amount of tread. I did, however, romp on it a bit on the way up, and sat in it while it ran some, etc. That said, I do fee that I lost a bit of economy with the LX25's. 0.5-1.5mpg or so.

This is a small price to pay for MUCH better tread-wear, traction in all conditions, and a quieter ride with no "shaking" when cold.

Back