Ferrari wheel experiment failed (sorta)

Came across a good deal on some staggered 5-spoke 19s from a late model Ferrari California, and figured Id try them out on my ladys 19 cx5 awd touring. Neat thing about late model Ferrari wheels (458/California/612/etc) is that they share the exact same bolt pattern & centerbore as the cx5 and other Mazdas. Where I ran into trouble was width and offset for the rears.

Specs are: 19x8 et44 front, 19x10 et52.5 rear. Took the wheels to Americas Tire to test fit before ordering tires...ended up being a good idea. Front wheels fit perfectly with no problem. Rears, on the other hand, were sooo close to fitting but the inner rim was super close to the shock (few mm) and was just barely hitting the control arm (or was it the subframe...I forget).

Another 5+ mm of clearance, which could easily be achieved with spacers, and the wheels would have fit just fine with 245/50 and 275/45 tires.

Im not a big fan of running spacers so going to put the wheels up for sale locally, but damn...almost had Ferrari wheels on a Japanese CUV. Might have even run Ferrari centercaps just to get a laugh every time I saw the car.

Not a fan of spacers either....but ya know...Ferrari wheels and driving slow might just be worth it.

What is wrong with spacers?
I have modified some 20" Audi RS4(Andros R9) knock offs to fit my car, but I haven't mounted them, instead I have purchased another new set of wheels.
Somebody painted them for me, and they came out as shxt.
I have even purchased wobble bolts for them. I have bored out the center hub diameter and machined off 2MM, for better ET.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141031_152125.jpg
    20141031_152125.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 516
  • securedownload - Copy.jpg
    securedownload - Copy.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
Huh. Wobble bolts are real. Scary.

I learn something new every day.

I'm reading that as long as they're TUV certified and the wheel bore is the same (or hubcentric rings are used), wobble bolts are perfectly safe.

What is wrong with spacers?
I have modified some 20" Audi RS4(Andros R9) knock offs to fit my car, but I haven't mounted them, instead I have purchased another new set of wheels.
Somebody painted them for me, and they came out as shxt.
I have even purchased wobble bolts for them. I have bored out the center hub diameter and machined off 2MM, for better ET.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Not that there is something inherently wrong with hub centric spacers, Im just not a fan. Years ago I had some s600 forged wheels on an e320 with some h&r 10mm hub centric spacers. On one occasion while getting a rotation, one of the spacers stayed on the hub and the other on the wheel. When I picked up the car, one front wheel was ultra tucked while one rear wheel, with doubled up spacers, was sticking way out. It was a dumb mistake by the tire shop but decided from then on that I wasnt going to run spacers.

You should try Maserati rims so you can have a Mazdarati.

And then you could make friends with this owner.

61eebb52b92435b09d43ce7f4d7d5497.jpg

Not gonna lie...actually thought about doing this. Not the mas grill on Mazda (hilarious btw), but Maserati wheels also have a 5x114 BP and 67.1 CB so they would fit with proper width and offset. Just didnt like any of the Maserati wheels styles. I really like the five-loop Alfa wheels but theyre a different bolt pattern (5x108 iirc).

Always liked those andros wheels and briefly looked for some replicas in 5x114 with no success. Not sure Id ever use wobble bolts though...seem a bit sketchy

I don't see any sketchy thing about it. Think like it is a thick washer shifted a bit(~1mm). They are pretty expensive as well, they were well over $130.

I'm not surprised it's hitting on the rear at 10 inches wide. 3 inches wider than the standard wheels, wow!

Yet Tire Rack will gladly sell you a 21 x 9.5, +45 wheel (and tell you to put a 245/40R21 tire on it). It must be right on the ragged edge of what will fit.

There was someone on the wheel & tire picture thread that was running a 9.5 wide rear wheel (45mm offset) with 275 mm tires and no fitment issues. Guess the extra 1/2 of wheel width and even more so the +7.5mm offset are what made this a no-go.

Oh well...have a pretty good idea what direction Im going to go from here. Will be 18x8.5 et38 all around once I find a set in good shape

Back