Navigation map is frozen

It will not update the map and stuck on one location. I tried nav+mute+back reset, reset to factory setting, take out and insert sd card 3x and cleaned connectors but no success. This happened 3 days ago. I even tried restoring using toolkit since i updated my SD card last June and created a backup file. Why did it take 1.5 hours to restore ? The file was save on my computer and it should be quick access it. Can i just erase the sd card and copy and paste the backup file from my computer? Also when i check the info in the menu about satelites, it found nothing which is probably why it does not update the map. All is working in the infotainment except the navigation. Is this Sd(software) issue or hardware? Thank you in advance to any help on this problem. My CX5 is Touirng 16.5.

Hello everybody. Kind of my first post here :) English isn't my native language, so my apologies in advance for possible mistakes :)

I got the same (or similar problem) about a month ago, CX-5 Touring 16.5. Not sure if my solution would work for you, but it may work :) In my case, the map has frozen, while I could enter destination, get directions, but starting point was the same all the time and it didn't see me moving. Somewhere in the navigation menu (don't remember exactly where, but if you won't find it - I'll take a look where it exactly is) you can find satellite information - signal strength, amount of satellites used, etc. In my case there were zero satellites found. To exclude issue with SD card, I took it off (it's recommended to insert/took off SD card with ignition off), turned the ignition on and switched to the navigation. Without SD card it should show compass and raw coordinates. There were no coordinates displayed, thus, I decided it's not an SD card problem. Three button reset didn't help either, thus, I thought some connector might have came off. So, I disconnected the negative battery terminal and started to check all the connectors I could reach. All of those were fine and I decided I need to visit a dealership to diagnose the problem, it looked exactly like the problem with GPS antenna. After I assembled everything back and connected the battery terminal, the satellites were found almost instantly!

So, if you haven't tried that, you could try to disconnect the battery terminal and let it stay for a couple of minutes. Please, keep in mind, that you will loose your saved FM stations settings, probably equalizer settings and such at head unit, Trip A/B, average fuel consumption and such at instrument panel. Also, after that you would need to teach driver's window to work automatically. To do that, press and hold the window button (all the way down, till second button click) to roll down the window and keep it pressed till the window reaches the lowest position and about 3 seconds more. After that press (again, all the way up) and hold the button to roll up the window and keep it pressed about 3 more seconds after the window closes completely. After that, check auto roll function.

Hope, this might help.

P.S.: Disclaimer :) I'm not responsible for any possible damage during the procedure :)

Thanks. I thought of disconnecting the battery also but was apprehensive for i do not know what are the repercussions. Since you have done it, i will try tomorrow. Just thinking ,maybe finding the fuse for the radio and yanking it out will do it and will not affect the windows. Again thank you very much. Will let you know what happened.

Last edited:
Update. I tried removing the fuses related to audio #13,43,44 and 38 but did not turn off the info console and it was ineffective solution. So no choice and had to unplug the negative terminal for 1 minute. Then i checked for satellites connection and they were present. Drove around the block and the map updated after a minute. All settings of the radios were remembered including the windows. i did not calibrate anything. Again thanks to Benedio.

This happened to me, once. I had left the car outside in full sun on a Summer day with no windshield, dash, or car cover to protect the electronics in the display and under the dash. Once I started using the car cover and dash cover (for <2 hours of sun exposure), the problem never reoccurred.

Last month I rented a BMW i8 with heads-up display, for 1 day. After driving all day under intense sun, the HUD display began fading so that I could barely see it. Placing the car in the shade for 1-2 hours brought back the HUD at full brightness.
Electronics do not like intense heat, so I advise you to have/use a windshield cover in the least.

Then i checked for satellites connection and they were present. Drove around the block and the map updated after a minute. All settings of the radios were remembered including the windows. i did not calibrate anything.
Seems, it forgets the setting after a longer period, I had it unpowered for about 30 minutes (while checked connectors) :)
Glad it helped :)

This happened to me, once. I had left the car outside in full sun on a Summer day with no windshield, dash, or car cover to protect the electronics in the display and under the dash. Once I started using the car cover and dash cover (for <2 hours of sun exposure), the problem never reoccurred.
I had a feeling it happened after a long sun exposure for me too.

Back