Key fob not being detected

encrr

Hi, I own a 2014 CX-5. As of recently, the car has not been detecting the key fob both unlocking the car and when attempting to start the car. Yesterday, I went to a dealership and got the battery in my fob replaced, hoping this would solve the issue. The car is still not detecting the key fob when I try to start the car. The push-button will be red instead of green and the brake will start to lock up when I try to start it multiple times, Any ideas on what the problem might be?

If you hold the fob right up to the start button does the start button turn green?
Also, have you tried the secondary fob?

I have tried that and it actually beeped at me and flashed red/orange. And sadly my spare key is back home while I'm away at school.

I have tried that and it actually beeped at me and flashed red/orange. And sadly my spare key is back home while I'm away at school.

I would try a fresh fob battery, they're not very expensive. If that doesn't work I would disconnect the negative lead from the car battery and let it sit for about 30 mins.
You will lose whatever settings you have but it may fix the problem.

If that doesn't work, either try the secondary fob or you're looking at a trip to the dealer.
Good Luck.

Install a new battery yourself, it's easy.

CR2025 is the battery number.

I would try a fresh fob battery, they're not very expensive. If that doesn't work I would disconnect the negative lead from the car battery and let it sit for about 30 mins.
You will lose whatever settings you have but it may fix the problem.

If that doesn't work, either try the secondary fob or you're looking at a trip to the dealer.
Good Luck.

I just got a fresh fob battery. Once it stops raining I'll try disconnecting the battery and see what that does.

I just got a fresh fob battery. Once it stops raining I'll try disconnecting the battery and see what that does.

Make sure you disconnect the negative side and don't let it touch metal. Afix it to the top of the battery away from the neg. post.

Get somebody at home to overnight that other fob to you!

You might want to have the main battery checked. Do the headlights work? If the main battery is dead then there wouldn't be any power to unlock the doors or start the engine.
Have you tried jumping the battery? Getting some juice to it to see if the car will recognize the FOB.

I think what he means it to try a second new fob battery, in case there's an [unlikely] failure with the first new fob battery.

It's the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

Yeah I've replaced the battery a couple times lol. I already had an appointment at a dealership this weekend to get a tune up and all that jazz since I just hit 100k miles. I'll bring it up to them and see what they have to say.

That's a pain in the butt to deal with when you're away at school.

Let's hope it's a minor thing.

Install a new battery yourself, it's easy.

CR2025 is the battery number.

I think what he means it to try a second new fob battery, in case there's an [unlikely] failure with the first new fob battery.

It's the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's a simple matter to replace the FOB battery, I just did mine yesterday, took less that 5 mins.

You're right, it's VERY unlikely that the replacement battery was bad/old. Unlikely but possible and since it's so easy to verify why not try this first?

Yeah I've replaced the battery a couple times lol. I already had an appointment at a dealership this weekend to get a tune up and all that jazz since I just hit 100k miles. I'll bring it up to them and see what they have to say.

I assume you're talking about the car battery, not the FOB battery. The car batteries do go bad sooner than expected. It's not unusual to go through 3 in 100k if you don't put a lot of miles on it. I replace mine every three years regardless of mileage. Been stranded with a dead battery one too many times.

The car batteries do go bad sooner than expected.

So often true.

And then there's my wife's 2011 Subaru with only 40k, original battery still going strong after 9 years. Unbelievable.

Sometimes you win the lottery, most times you don't.

Oh yeah, 9 years makes no sense at all.

The reason I don't replace them proactively is that I've always had an indication that my batteries were about to fail before they quit.

That works for me because I have another vehicle available, and my driving doesn't put me in much danger of being stranded anywhere.

But I'm sure that wouldn't work for many people.

Back