Mirror folding failure

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
My mirror fails to fully fold sometimes. Driver side. It seems like it will likely be a relearn procedure (I'll check manual), or a dealer repair. I only have @17k miles and it's a 2019. Please tell me again how my $2400 150k mile, 10 year warranty (bumper to bumper) wont be paying off...

My mirror fails to fully fold sometimes. Driver side. It seems like it will likely be a relearn procedure (I'll check manual), or a dealer repair. I only have @17k miles and it's a 2019. Please tell me again how my $2400 150k mile, 10 year warranty (bumper to bumper) wont be paying off...

it won't or they wouldn't sell them

You have 17k miles. Why are you bringing up your extended warranty? When things like that fail, it's usually early.

Well, in 5 years, we can argue from a stance of knowing vs. opining.

Every single car extended warranty I have purchased has NEVER paid for itself, with the exception of assurance in my own brain. Not once across 3 vehicles I've bought new from a dealer.

My Mazda6, I had a 400$ repair done after factory warranty that was covered, but that left me with about 1200$ to go until I 'paid' for my warranty.

That being said, I'm totally with you. I'd never buy a vehicle WITHOUT an extended warranty. It's like car insurance - no one likes paying it, but it comes in *really* handy when you need it the most.

The same thing with the extended warranty. Most people won't ever use it, but it's really good to have if you have a vehicle prone to issues.

Sometimes its not the tangible that you're paying for, sometimes it's the peace of mind.

Totally agree with u.

Every single car extended warranty I have purchased has NEVER paid for itself, with the exception of assurance in my own brain. Not once across 3 vehicles I've bought new from a dealer.

My Mazda6, I had a 400$ repair done after factory warranty that was covered, but that left me with about 1200$ to go until I 'paid' for my warranty.

That being said, I'm totally with you. I'd never buy a vehicle WITHOUT an extended warranty. It's like car insurance - no one likes paying it, but it comes in *really* handy when you need it the most.

The same thing with the extended warranty. Most people won't ever use it, but it's really good to have if you have a vehicle prone to issues.

Sometimes its not the tangible that you're paying for, sometimes it's the peace of mind.

Totally agree with u.

Meh. To me that's just money down the drain then.

Different strokes different folks I suppose.

So, still covered.

I guess I wish you bad luck, so you can justify your decision. (shrug)

I feel the need to say something, but for the life of me cannot find the words.

Perhaps "That's awfully nice of you," and leave it for others to imply tonal inflection.

But I am laughing my butt off.

I will try washing the gap while operating the mirror to see if it can be flushed. It stands to reason it might can be.

It*s a known fault. There is a kit to fix water ingress but time wise they usually end up fitting a new mirror.

0-DF4539-C-F922-42-A6-9-C49-1056-C5272803.png

Last edited:
I'm with wlong01. I have an inherent mistrust of such gadgetry. I can just see the mirror motors failing not long after the warranty expires.
"Well Mr. Frye, the motor has to be ordered from Japan, we have to tear the entire door apart to fix it and it's going to cost $800."

I went into the settings and disabled the auto-fold function. If I am parking it a situation like a crowded mall parking lot at Christmas where people may be walking in between cars and smacking into mirrors or other situations where the threat of damage is likely I can manually fold them in with the switch on the door.

I'm just gonna turn mine off and only manually operate it if I need to.
Ill do that too if I had a CX-5 Signature.

BTW, is your outside mirror auto-folding switch like the one I posted earlier or the square rocker switch like the TSB Anchorman posted?

I*ll do that too if I had a CX-5 Signature.

BTW, is your outside mirror auto-folding switch like the one I posted earlier or the square rocker switch like the TSB Anchorman posted?

It's on the Reserve too. Yes, you were correct, just turn the round adjustment dial 180 deg and it folds both mirrors in. Thanks for the info the other day.

Back