Mirror folding failure

The reason Mazda included it was to reduce emissions but they know theyll never sell it for that reason in the US so they try to appeal with a reason that might just register. It turns out that its way down the list of priorities.

They do here in Canada.

I got mine for almost 50% off too.

I got mine for 50% too, but I really had to fight for it. In my limited experience working retail, and according to a couple of finance managers I know personally (one at Honda, the other at Nissan), 50% is usually the maximum discount for added warranty.

Mine was non negotiable. I even left without it the first time and had the whole deal finalized. Took the car, everything. I truly wasnt going to get it.. Came back later that day and got it.

That's odd, I've always found that the warranty on anything significant that I've purchased has always been negotiable to some degree. It may be dealer-specific, but I also wonder if it's because it wasn't purchased during the sale of the car? Sometimes a retailer or dealership doesn't allow the sales rep/manager to discount the actual warranty, so instead they work the discount into the sale of the vehicle somehow. If the sale has been finalized, and the buyer comes back 6 months later to buy the added protection, they can't (or won't) discount it.

I got mine for 50% too, but I really had to fight for it. In my limited experience working retail, and according to a couple of finance managers I know personally (one at Honda, the other at Nissan), 50% is usually the maximum discount for added warranty.

That's odd, I've always found that the warranty on anything significant that I've purchased has always been negotiable to some degree. It may be dealer-specific, but I also wonder if it's because it wasn't purchased during the sale of the car? Sometimes a retailer or dealership doesn't allow the sales rep/manager to discount the actual warranty, so instead they work the discount into the sale of the vehicle somehow. If the sale has been finalized, and the buyer comes back 6 months later to buy the added protection, they can't (or won't) discount it.

It was a hard "no" on negotiating it. Every time it was brought up. They also didn't push it, either. IT was offered, was all.

It was a hard "no" on negotiating it. Every time it was brought up. They also didn't push it, either. IT was offered, was all.

I'm guessing your history might have had something to do with it. (uhm) From what I've read, you have had some pretty bad luck with vehicles.

I*ll do that too if I had a CX-5 Signature.

BTW, is your outside mirror auto-folding switch like the one I posted earlier or the square rocker switch like the TSB Anchorman posted?

The manual control folding mirrors have the rotary switch. The ones that fold on the key have a three position switch (in the pdf). Folded, auto and unfolded.

Like all the DRLs on the *16 model that are failing right after the 3 year bumper to bumper expires? :)

I*ve had these folding mirrors fail on my 16, 17 and 18. This 19 is only 6 months old so early days. I would think the mechanism is the same as unobs so the improved sealing not come through yet. We get a 3 year warranty so not concerned and if it fails outside the warranty it can stay failed. I*ll get out and fold it. You can now buy the motor separately but getting it out with breaking the glass is unlikely. My complete mirror has the 360 cameras so I expect a complete mirror to be $1000.

Forgot GT Reserve has this feature too and OP Unobtanium has the GT Reserve. I was wondering why the diagram on Anchorman posted TSB showing a totally different power folding mirror switch on CX-5?

As above.

"Worldwide except North America"

Yes, the mirror is the same essentially but the way Mazda deal with warranty is different.

Last edited:
I'm guessing your history might have had something to do with it. (uhm) From what I've read, you have had some pretty bad luck with vehicles.

Doubtful. That dealer just doesn't play games. Zero drama. An example is that they have had mostly the same techs for 4 years. It's a stable, no BS dealership. I bought my car while looking at the computer with the GM, saw 100% of the money.

IMO Honda's oil dilution issue on its 1.5T is a little over-exaggerated especially in warmer regions. I have several friends having CR-V 1.5T and none of them is experiencing oil dilution problem, and they have never changed the oil early. I won't get another CR-V, even though my current CR-V is so reliable for 21 years, is because I personally don't like the current design trend from Honda, as well as CVT and turbo.

I mean, technically you could say the same thing about CD in the N/A CX-5 (and N/A 6). I know a lot of people who haven't experienced any issues with CD. These problems (oil dilution and CD) are also slightly different in nature, as according to Mazda, CD should function properly with the correct PCM software. If the correct software was used, there would be no issues with CD. Mazda is also handling it differently. The CD issue is being treated via recall according to affected VIN, whether your car is experiencing symptoms or not. CR-V owners with the issue are being left out to dry, no resolution in sight and no support from Honda.

I personally wouldn't call either of these issues (or the concern people have regarding the issues) over-exaggerated. To me, the difference is that Mazda has taken accountability and has a resolution for the problem. I choose to reserve judgement on whether the resolution is adequate, but based on the way Mazda has handled the problem, I think its safe to assume that they would take care of the customer again if necessary.

If Honda had a resolution or offered some support to owners with the 1.5T engine, I wouldn't have any issue buying a new Honda (I'd simply avoid anything with the 1.5T). I stay away from Honda as a manufacturer mainly because of how they've chosen to handle the oil dilution problem.

Last edited:
IMO Honda's oil dilution issue on its 1.5T is a little over-exaggerated especially in warmer regions. I have several friends having CR-V 1.5T and none of them is experiencing oil dilution problem, and they have never changed the oil early. I won't get another CR-V, even though my current CR-V is so reliable for 21 years, is because I personally don't like the current design trend from Honda, as well as CVT and turbo.

You should visit Mazdas247 earlier when you're considering the 2018 CX-5. Like you I was planning to get our second CX-5 in 2018 but cancelled my purchase because Mazda out of the nowhere announced they has added cylinder deactivation feature in SkyActiv-G 2.5L. At the time me and several others were complaining here about the stupidness by Mazda of adding a complicated system with historically bad reputation for very minimum 0~1 mpg gain!

Yeah if I really want a Mazda, 2.5T is the only engine I can accept as it's been on the market for 3+ years on 2nd-gen CX-9.

Regarding the Honda issue, if you believe everything folks post in forums, there were a couple of guys in Arizona and New Mexico throwing the BS Flag on the "this is only a cold climate/short trip issue." And the more I read about it, the more I discovered that this has been a long-term issue in other model Hondas...it's not just a CR-V problem. Of course, all CDI engines seem to suffer from this to a degree...even Mazdas.

Regarding the CX-5, I actually joined this forum last August and read tons of threads and asked a lot of questions before making the decision to buy a CX-5. Not that it really matters, but no one said a word about CD...not about it being a new feature, not about it having issues, not even about it existing at all...and I read tons of threads in addition to asking lots questions. I'm not complaining, but just pointing out that even joining a forum, in addition to all the other research I did, can't possibly cover everything. I still find it strange that none of the on-line reviewers (Edmunds, etc) made mention of Mazda's new CD technology...not the professional sites, and not the independent YouTubers. The sales guy never said anything, either.

Repair will be $730. In another 10 months, this would be out of pocket, had I not bought a big whackin warranty.
Worth.
It.

And thus is only 8 months in....

Right...if it happened in another 10 months. It didn't. You're extended warranty hasn't payed for s*** yet. That's $730 absorbed by the factory warranty. Once that's out, then start your counter of $2400 worth of repairs (outside of the Powertrain warranty, until that is up) covered by the extended warranty.

Right...if it happened in another 10 months. It didn't. You're extended warranty hasn't payed for s*** yet. That's $730 absorbed by the factory warranty. Once that's out, then start your counter of $2400 worth of repairs (outside of the Powertrain warranty, until that is up) covered by the extended warranty.

Of course, but my point was...these tech gadgets can and will die expensively. Omen, of you will.

Fair enough. Just a gamble on if more than $2400 of it will.

Those headlights and their swivel feature, each one alone...
The turbo...
The transmission...
The diff...

Any of those items would easily hit 2400. I'd rather amortize their loss over the loan vs lumpsum it.

Mine was non negotiable. I even left without it the first time and had the whole deal finalized. Took the car, everything. I truly wasnt going to get it.. Came back later that day and got it.

Wow.. its so weird how these things are different everywhere.

It may have been the way I negotiated. I countered their initial offer with a very specific # (I had done a s*** ton of research on what the lowest possible price I could get would be) and told them it had to include an extended warranty - they took a while to look at the offer and saw that I heavily discounted the car AND the warranty clearly). Initially they balked, but when I told them I had another dealer that was a bit further away that I would have gone with, they caved.

Regardless of how you got it, I'm glad you did!

Last edited:
Those headlights and their swivel feature, each one alone...
The turbo...
The transmission...
The diff...

Any of those items would easily hit 2400. I'd rather amortize their loss over the loan vs lumpsum it.

The Reserve headlights swivel?

The Reserve headlights swivel?

Yes

Damn, Haven't hit that yet, I'm only up to page 189.

When you turn the wheel, they point into the turn rather that straight where the car is pointing.

It's pretty cool. Makes a big difference.

Back