Oil Change -- Lesser of Two Evils

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
We all know that the best way to change your oil is to do it yourself, no question. But some people can't, for whatever reason.

So if you don't have an independent mechanic who works on your car, or you can't deal with scheduling with one of them...

What's the better alternative: Dealer or Quick Change?

Your opinions please. Horror stories welcome!

Dealer hands down. Just check the level as soon as you get home. I've had my last three cars only changed at the dealer and never had a problem.
Plus, they usually throw in a safety check every once in awhile and will top off any fluids that need it.

I would never trust my vehicle to one of those quick change oil places. They seem to find a lot of things wrong like dirty air filter/cabin filter, etc. I'm sure they have a supply of dirty filters in the backroom just waiting for an unsuspecting customer.

Dealer. At least you*ll keep the warranty if anything happens.

We all know that the best way to change your oil is to do it yourself, no question. But some people can't, for whatever reason.

So if you don't have an independent mechanic who works on your car, or you can't deal with scheduling with one of them...

What's the better alternative: Dealer or Quick Change?

Your opinions please. Horror stories welcome!
Surprised a knowledge person would post such question. ;)

Id go to a reputable dealer for oil change, and find a oil change coupon if possible. At least most dealers would use correct OEM parts and most likely good enough oil.

But my last dealer oil change is a disaster. Oil was leaking out from drain plug caused by cracked aluminum washer!

I have oil change done at dealers w/ coupon.
I wait in most of the times and use their coffee and Wi-Fi for works.

There have been comments here regarding dealers using the wrong oil in turbos. Recall the one where the dealer's head tech did not know that 2019 CX-5s even have turbos? If I had a CRV, and the dealer found highly diluted oil and an independent shop found highly diluted oil, which would be the most likely to tell me?

Years ago one brother's mother-in-law went to Jiffy Lube and the guy used the wrong supply hose. He put oil in the transmission and damaged/ruined it. Jiffy Lube did not cover the repair because there was no proof they did it. No one else did this type of work for her.

My other brother owned his own shop...had over a dozen guys working for him at one point. In general, I trust the workers a local shop more than I trust the guys working at a dealer. Depending on the specific shop, perhaps relative levels of mistrust are more to the point.

Only get it changed at the dealer...its too cheap to do myself. They charge less than $30 including filter if I bring in my own 5qt jug of oil, and that includes inspection, wash, and vacuum. Hard to beat...

Dealer, for sure. One time I took my old car to Jiffy Lube. I got oil that wasn't the greatest, an oil filter that was smaller than the OEM, and they said I needed an air filter and they didn't put the cover on right. At the dealer's you will get an OEM filter and oil that they put in all their Mazda's.

Oil changes at a dealer and warranties aren*t correlated in any way.

I*d forgo a warranty if I was forced to have all maintenance and repairs done at a stealership.

Just saying in case the cheap mechanic messes up something like overtorquing the drain plug and damaging the oil pan. That would void warranty for poor maintenance practices.

Just saying in case the cheap mechanic messes up something like overtorquing the drain plug and damaging the oil pan. That would void warranty for poor maintenance practices.

Just saying that has nothing to do with a warranty, either. Surely, this would never happen at a stealership. (rolleyes)

I would never trust my vehicle to one of those quick change oil places. They seem to find a lot of things wrong like dirty air filter/cabin filter, etc. I'm sure they have a supply of dirty filters in the backroom just waiting for an unsuspecting customer.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think some dealerships do the same thing. I actually think it happens more often at dealerships because they only have to carry their own dirty OEM filters.

That said, I would still go to the dealer if price was not an option. Anyone can refill with the wrong oil or use the wrong filter, but the dealership always has the OEM recommended oil and filters on hand. Also if the dealership screws up with the drain bolt somehow, it should be much less of a hassle to get replacement parts. Dealers should also be more accountable since they only service one manufacturer.

Drawing from personal experience, I had a 1999 Honda Accord V6 up until around 2012, when I traded it in for a different car. I bought it used and did my oil changes at the Super Lube. On one occasion, one of the techs noted that the filter they had removed was cross-threaded. Luckily the threads on the car were not damaged.

Only get it changed at the dealer...it*s too cheap to do myself. They charge less than $30 including filter if I bring in my own 5qt jug of oil, and that includes inspection, wash, and vacuum. Hard to beat...

If you buy an 8 pack from my dealer, they charge 37.50 for Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic, OEM filter + washer, wash and vacuum. The waiting room is nice enough and they are usually done around an hour. Not the best oil, but decent.

This seems to helped when I got Mazda to replace my failed DRL out of warranty for 50 bucks instead of 2k.

I'd take my own oil, a 5qt jug (if I used shops for this).. no doubt as to wether too little oil was added and you know what they put in.

If you buy an 8 pack from my dealer, they charge 37.50 for Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic, OEM filter + washer, wash and vacuum. The waiting room is nice enough and they are usually done around an hour. Not the best oil, but decent.

I don't understand all of this blind faith put into young & inexperienced dealership oil change people.
They are really no different than the techs working at quick lube places.

I guess dealerships are fine if you are retired and have a lot of spare time to waste, but would never do it myself at this point in life...
- A 15-30 minute drive to the dealership
- Waiting 1-2+ hours for the oil change
- A 15-30 minute drive back home

And you quote pricing for the oil change, but that doesn't include a tire rotation.
Are you paying for that separately or are you just not rotating your tires?

I don't understand all of this blind faith put into young & inexperienced dealership oil change people.

I guess dealerships are fine if you are retired and have a lot of spare time to waste, but would never do it myself at this point in life...

And you quote pricing for the oil change, but that doesn't include a tire rotation.

The dealer is less than 10 minutes from my house. I work in software, so I can work at home any day I want and the dealer has fast Wifi. Tire rotation is a small additional fee, I can't remember it exactly. Obviously not everyone has this situation.

Someone gets it.

If the oil change doesnt include tire rotation, its already a half assed job from the start.

Back