Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change -- Lesser of Two Evils

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Question Oil Change -- Lesser of Two Evils

We all know that the best way to change your oil is to do it yourself, no question. But some people can't, for whatever reason.

So if you don't have an independent mechanic who works on your car, or you can't deal with scheduling with one of them...

What's the better alternative: Dealer or Quick Change?

Your opinions please. Horror stories welcome!

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

Dealer hands down. Just check the level as soon as you get home. I've had my last three cars only changed at the dealer and never had a problem.
    Plus, they usually throw in a safety check every once in awhile and will top off any fluids that need it.

I would never trust my vehicle to one of those quick change oil places. They seem to find a lot of things wrong like dirty air filter/cabin filter, etc. I'm sure they have a supply of dirty filters in the backroom just waiting for an unsuspecting customer.

2019 GT Reserve - Deep Blue 2016 Mazda3 iTouring - Soul Red

Dealer. At least you*ll keep the warranty if anything happens.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Oil Change -- Lesser of Two Evils

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    We all know that the best way to change your oil is to do it yourself, no question. But some people can't, for whatever reason.

So if you don't have an independent mechanic who works on your car, or you can't deal with scheduling with one of them...

What's the better alternative: Dealer or Quick Change?

Your opinions please. Horror stories welcome!
    Surprised a knowledge person would post such question.

I’d go to a reputable dealer for oil change, and find a oil change coupon if possible. At least most dealers would use correct OEM parts and most likely good enough oil.

But my last dealer oil change is a disaster. Oil was leaking out from drain plug caused by “cracked” aluminum washer!

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

I have oil change done at dealers w/ coupon.
    I wait in most of the times and use their coffee and Wi-Fi for works.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Saamlee92 View Post
    Dealer. At least you*ll keep the warranty if anything happens.
    Oil changes at a dealer and warranties aren’t correlated in any way.

I’d forgo a warranty if I was forced to have all maintenance and repairs done at a stealership.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoomForever View Post
    Oil changes at a dealer and warranties aren*t correlated in any way.

I*d forgo a warranty if I was forced to have all maintenance and repairs done at a stealership.

Same here.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

1. Independent if good recommendations
    2. Dealer
    3. Quick Lube

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    There have been comments here regarding dealers using the wrong oil in turbos. Recall the one where the dealer's head tech did not know that 2019 CX-5s even have turbos? If I had a CRV, and the dealer found highly diluted oil and an independent shop found highly diluted oil, which would be the most likely to tell me?

Years ago one brother's mother-in-law went to Jiffy Lube and the guy used the wrong supply hose. He put oil in the transmission and damaged/ruined it. Jiffy Lube did not cover the repair because there was no proof they did it. No one else did this type of work for her.

My other brother owned his own shop...had over a dozen guys working for him at one point. In general, I trust the workers a local shop more than I trust the guys working at a dealer. Depending on the specific shop, perhaps relative levels of mistrust are more to the point.

Registered Member

Only get it changed at the dealer...it’s too cheap to do myself. They charge less than $30 including filter if I bring in my own 5qt jug of oil, and that includes inspection, wash, and vacuum. Hard to beat...

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Dealer, for sure. One time I took my old car to Jiffy Lube. I got oil that wasn't the greatest, an oil filter that was smaller than the OEM, and they said I needed an air filter and they didn't put the cover on right. At the dealer's you will get an OEM filter and oil that they put in all their Mazda's.

2019 GT Reserve - Deep Blue 2016 Mazda3 iTouring - Soul Red

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoomForever View Post
    Oil changes at a dealer and warranties aren*t correlated in any way.

I*d forgo a warranty if I was forced to have all maintenance and repairs done at a stealership.
    Just saying in case the cheap mechanic messes up something like overtorquing the drain plug and damaging the oil pan. That would void warranty for poor maintenance practices.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Just saying in case the cheap mechanic messes up something like overtorquing the drain plug and damaging the oil pan. That would void warranty for poor maintenance practices.
    Just saying that has nothing to do with a warranty, either. Surely, this would never happen at a stealership.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Just saying in case the cheap mechanic.
    I also regret to inform you that most mechanics at stealerships are "cheap", especially the one touching your car for an oil change, just saying.

Contributor

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    I would never trust my vehicle to one of those quick change oil places. They seem to find a lot of things wrong like dirty air filter/cabin filter, etc. I'm sure they have a supply of dirty filters in the backroom just waiting for an unsuspecting customer.
    You're kidding yourself if you don't think some dealerships do the same thing. I actually think it happens more often at dealerships because they only have to carry their own dirty OEM filters.

That said, I would still go to the dealer if price was not an option. Anyone can refill with the wrong oil or use the wrong filter, but the dealership always has the OEM recommended oil and filters on hand. Also if the dealership screws up with the drain bolt somehow, it should be much less of a hassle to get replacement parts. Dealers should also be more accountable since they only service one manufacturer.

Drawing from personal experience, I had a 1999 Honda Accord V6 up until around 2012, when I traded it in for a different car. I bought it used and did my oil changes at the Super Lube. On one occasion, one of the techs noted that the filter they had removed was cross-threaded. Luckily the threads on the car were not damaged.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast