Must have CX-5 Tools and Items

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTp8EpzZ5E

Added 5 psi per tire in a matter of seconds yesterday. Set your psi and it automatically shuts off when reached. Stays planted and does not hop around. No cords to deal with. I also used it to inflate a yoga fitness ball.

Not a must have but is sure nice to have:)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Tr...MImav77fKt5AIVzf_jBx1OZQEVEAQYASABEgItFfD_BwE

Now this tool is a must have imho. Measures the thread of your tires.

I like that depth gauge. And less than $3!

I don't suppose anyone happens ot know if the oil filter 'wrench' that works on a Porsche Boxster is the same size as for a CX5 turbo? (GT-R)

also, old air-cooled 911s have a variety of nylon lined and aluminum sockets for the lug nuts - no idea if those will fit the CX5 lug nuts

The 987 & 981 Boxster oil filter wrench is ~ 74 - 76 mm. For the CX5 turbo filter, I use https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned).

Don't know about the old 911 lugs, but the CX5 lug nuts are 21mm.

According to Mazda's product evaluation engineer it does.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology/mazda-plays-it-straight-and-strong-cx-5-frame

LOS ANGELES * Mazda*s new CX-5 has a higher concentration of lightweight steel than any model in the brand*s North American showroom.

High-tensile-strength steel accounts for 61% of the small cross/utility vehicle*s body weight, Dave Coleman, Mazda*s product evaluation engineer, tells media here at a recent launch event.

The CX-5 also boasts what Mazda believes is the first series-production application of steel rated at 1,800 MPa (18,979 tons per sq. in.)
That grade is *the strongest steel anybody has used in a production car (and) we*re using that on the outer surface of the bumpers of this car,* Coleman says.
As a result, weight is trimmed from the extreme ends of the CX-5, thereby reducing polar movement and improving vehicle handling, he says.
In addition, sections of the CUV*s frame rails were straightened, while other parts were designed with complex shapes. The result was improved crashworthiness.

Historically, Mazda has used rectangular-shaped front frame rails, but the CX-5 features stronger, cross-shaped patterns.
"If you*ve got a rectangular frame rail, all the load is being carried in the corners of that rail,* Coleman says. *If we can fit it into this cross-shape, we end up with 12 corners instead of four corners. It doesn*t weigh any more, but we*ve got more places to carry that load.*

And by straightening the frame rails at the bottom of the CX-5, Mazda has saved weight and added strength.
Mazda frame rails long have done a *zig-zag* around a vehicle*s fuel tank. *That zig-zag is an inherently weak structure,* Coleman says. Therefore, it required more steel, which added weight.
*By just gently curving around the gas tank (with) one continuous frame rail, we can use less material to carry the same load,* Coleman says.
To better disperse crash loads, Mazda engineers extended the CX-5*s front sub-frame. Also, door beams run parallel to carry a load to the rear of the car.

The roof, B-pillar and C-pillar each boast a ring-link design for additional structural integrity.
*(We*re) just trying to connect all the structures as much as possible so it can be hit from any angle, and also these are getting us simultaneously a good structure to mount a suspension on,* Coleman says, noting suspension loads are exceeded only by crash loads as a stressor.

The CX-5 is considered all-new by Mazda, and not a successor to the defunct body-on-frame Tribute SUV, so Coleman compares the CX-5*s weight savings to the slightly bigger CX-7 CUV.
In their trimmest iterations, the CX-5 is 288 lbs. (131 kg) lighter than the CX-7. The weight difference between the heaviest CX-5 and its CX-7 counterpart is 570 lbs. (259 kg).
The new *13 Mazda CX-5 goes on sale in the U.S. early this year, with pricing expected to range from $22,000-$28,000.

Nice!

Gives accurate thread measurements of all 4 tires let alone different sections of the tire. Lets the owner know exactly how each tire is wearing down. Underrated tool.

Gives accurate thread measurements of all 4 tires let alone different sections of the tire. Lets the owner know exactly how each tire is wearing down. Underrated tool.

Oh and I use it to pry off rocks stuck in grooves while down there checking for nails.

Oh and I use it to pry off rocks stuck in grooves while down there checking for nails.

I'm reading the comments on those at Amazon, and some folks say they are off by 2/32"

Have you played with yours yet?

I'm reading the comments on those at Amazon, and some folks say they are off by 2/32"

Have you played with yours yet?

Hmm...I would check with a measuring tape/ruler when I have the chance. If you had the tool at hand you can see it's easy to check its accuracy.

That said the measurements may very of the placement on the tire....the sides usually have less depth then the middle.

Applied dielectric grease on the battery terminals. This really makes a difference in stopping corrosion on the battery. For 7 bucks, a worthwhile preventative maintenance item. On my ES 330, I didn't use it and I saw some major corrosion develop on the battery terminals. I used this on my previous vehicle and it had no corrosion whatsoever 7 years in. You can also use this on many other types of connectors to seal out moisture. Basically, anything that has metal to metal contact, so bulb connectors and other electrical connections. This is also usually sold in smaller packets for a few dollars at the counter at most Auto parts stores such as Advance Auto and Auto Zone.
Qythj91.jpg

Why is dielectric grease better than conductive grease explained (tl:dr: corrosion protection, universal application on all metals) https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

The CX-5 does not come with Navigation unless you get the Grand Touring trim (starting MSRP: 31,445) or higher.
qUwpqt9.jpg

If you have a Sport or Touring trim, you can unlock the navigation functionality with a map card. The Navigation card for the U.S, Canada, and Mexico is part number BHP1-66-EZ1K. It retails for $331.57 from Mazda but the lowest price on Amazon is only 80. (Pretty standard, it's rare that Amazon doesn't have a better price than the dealer on OEM parts). All you have to do is insert the card in the center console and start the car. Then you will have full navigation functionality with voice command, and the voice command system in this car works pretty well. One feature I really like that's unlocked with this card is the infotainment can display the street you're on even when you're on a non-navigation page.
Demo video (scroll to 0:32):

Hood Struts
I cannot believe that a vehicle that pushes $40k in top trim comes with a hood prop rod. The hood is very heavy and could easily break or seriously injure a finger if your hands were to slip while lowering the hood. For about 25 bucks you can install these hood struts from Amazon, which have good reviews. I just ordered these and will update with pics/review once I install them. Here's an image from the reviews in the meantime. This seems like a very worthwhile upgrade.
oxaUosx.jpg

0UxDYgz.jpg

Last edited:
That's great stuff. In the old days we just used petroleum jelly. Worked great, too, but just put it on the outer surface. Dielectric is good inside the connection and out.

Yeah it really is. I really saw the difference between using it and not using it on those two vehicles. The battery terminals are especially prone to corrosion without it over time.

I always carry a small fire extinguisher in my cars. Fortunately have never had to use them.

I always carry a small fire extinguisher in my cars. Fortunately have never had to use them.

I putzed around and finally bought one for my car a couple of days ago.

My hesitance was that the max storage temp (120) is right where most cars get during the summer months. If you live in the south west you can expect to see 160 or higher. Another option is the type that are packaged like flares, and that emits gas that suffocates the fire. The downside is that they're only effective when the wind is not blowing.

So I stopped beating it to death and bought a Kidde Marine/Auto extinguisher.

I picked up some safety reflectors at a yard sale a few months ago.
Regular flares are the last safety item on my list.

Avoidin Deer;6659812 My hesitance was that the max storage temp (120) is right where most cars get during the summer months. [/QUOTE said:
That would be a concern, but I've never had a problem or heard of anyone having one, have you?

With fire extinguishers in cars, that is.(rolleyes)

Actually, I've never known anyone who has ever used one of these (successfully or otherwise).

I'm just stating what the manufacturer's specs are...Max Storage Temp 120

Do those hood struts fit in existing mounts/holes on the cx5 or did
you have to use drill ?
thanks

I haven't received and installed them yet, but it uses existing holes in the hood and engine bay. No drilling/permanent modification required. Looks pretty easy to install based on the reviews.

I haven't received and installed them yet, but it uses existing holes in the hood and engine bay. No drilling/permanent modification required. Looks pretty easy to install based on the reviews.

I got some for my 2018. They work well, I'd forgotten they weren't stock.

I put them in using existing holes.

Back