Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Must have CX-5 Tools and Items

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyVee View Post
    Thanks for the reminder! I've been meaning to look into these...I want to give them as gifts to kids for Christmas.

They hate gifts from me because they always have a practical application! LOL!
    I think they'll appreciate them, a great safety item for sure.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Thanks, Chocolate.

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

2016 CX-5 Touring AWD W/Tech & 2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Does that mean you'll attach the hood-side bracket to the rear hinge bolt rather than the front hinge bolt, or is there a different way to get more lift to it?

I watched a couple of vids and didn't see anyone discuss options.
    I was just going to try changing sides of the bracket on the hood side of the strut (switching left to right side- they aren't labeled). The mount is a little offset. It won't add much (if any) height, but I may consider it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DieselTorque View Post
    I was just going to try changing sides of the bracket on the hood side of the strut (switching left to right side- they aren't labeled). The mount is a little offset. It won't add much (if any) height, but I may consider it.
    Gotcha.

Without having seen how these are configured, or how tightly they lay under the hood, I wonder if you couldn't put a spacer/spacers behind each of those 2 rear mounting brackets. That would extend the distance the struts pushed up the hood. It might not require a lot at the rear pivot point to get exponentially more lift at the front.

Of course, that might require finding a longer mounting bolt to go through the spacers to catch the nut on the hood. And when the hood is closed, the struts would be laying a little "deeper" in the engine compartment...they might not have room to do so without bumping into the body.

If required (and assuming you could get to the nuts and there's clearance), the front mounting post could be spaced up so the struts would lay properly when the hood is closed...there seems to be plenty of thread on those posts.

Just spitballing here.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 09-17-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Since sm1ke mentioned it, the only item on the list I have not bought are jumper cables/battery boosters. (I just received a 6 pak of 20 minute flares for under $12).

Does anyone have long-term experience with the battery boosters? I'd prefer one of those to carrying around cables (for lots of reasons), but wonder about effectiveness and the length of time they hold their charge.
    I bought this one in 2018: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I jump a tractor with it, and it will easily start a car. The problems with them are 1) Then need to be topped off about every 3 or 4 months 2) They have to be kept under 140 degrees. If your car gets hot in the sun all day you shouldn't keep it in the car all the time. I suppose it can be kept in a cooler inside the car.
    Also, mine stopped holding a charge. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a replacement that has been much better. My first one must have had a bad cell.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    They have to be kept under 140 degrees. If your car gets hot in the sun all day you shouldn't keep it in the car all the time. I suppose it can be kept in a cooler inside the car.
    Good to get a reference on a responsible manufacturer. I read some of the reviews on the one Chocolate linked to, and there were exploding lithium ion battery stories.

I just went through this "cars get too hot" issue trying to find a car fire extinguisher (max storage temp 120į). Emails to manufacturers all got the same reply: "We meet D.O.T. specs." I finally bought an inexpensive one and hope that it works when I need it...but that hardly meets the goal of being prepared for an emergency.

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Good to get a reference on a responsible manufacturer. I read some of the reviews on the one Chocolate linked to, and there were exploding lithium ion battery stories.

I just went through this "cars get too hot" issue trying to find a car fire extinguisher (max storage temp 120į). Emails to manufacturers all got the same reply: "We meet D.O.T. specs." I finally bought an inexpensive one and hope that it works when I need it...but that hardly meets the goal of being prepared for an emergency.
    I keep anything temperature-sensitive (fire extinguisher, pressurized sprays, and future battery booster) in the storage cubby under the false floor of the cargo area in my CX-9. That area is usually much cooler than the cabin, and it keeps them out of direct sunlight. Tinting the vehicle should reduce in-cabin ambient temps as well.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I keep anything temperature-sensitive (fire extinguisher, pressurized sprays, and future battery booster) in the storage cubby under the false floor of the cargo area in my CX-9. That area is usually much cooler than the cabin, and it keeps them out of direct sunlight. Tinting the vehicle should reduce in-cabin ambient temps as well.
    I have this stuff in the cargo area under a cargo cover that is in use all the time.

But this is yet another issue that circles back to that tinting I've yet to get done.

a fire extinguisher in the rear storage cubby is about as good as none at all

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ralf11 View Post
    So what's a good solution?

Someone here recommended the ones that look like flares and emit oxygen-starving gas, but they're no good in a breeze.

Or do you mean it should be kept under the driver's seat where you know you can get at it in an emergency?

an automated system above the engine is best

a hand carried one with adequate capacity next to the driver is 2nd best

a new vehicle shouldn't really need one tho (unless you race it)

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ralf11 View Post
    Really? Having one available is just as useless as not having one at all? Explain your logic.

I assume that you mean to say that if someone were to keep a fire extinguisher in the car, ideally it should be mounted somewhere that is within the driver's reach, which I do agree with. It should also be small enough that it doesn't get in the way. But to say that having one in the trunk is as good as not having one at all is just wrong.

If I'm on the road and I come upon a fire, I can pop the trunk, get the extinguisher and attempt to put out the fire. If I don't have the extinguisher, I can't do anything to combat the fire. Thus, having one is better than not.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

At least 1 qt of oil, tire plug kit and inflator

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    So you have 4 floor jacks for 4 pinch weld adapters?

IMO pinch weld points are better suited for jack stand. If Iím going to lift front or rear of the CX-5, Iíd jack up the front or rear cross member or rear differential case like Mazda Workshop Manual suggested with powerful enough floor jack, then put 2 jack stands under the pinch weld point on both sides. To me, I donít need pinch weld adapter as I seldom actually jack up the car at pinch weld point with floor jack, may be only doing the tire rotation, then I use a piece of 2X4 to serve as a cushion.
    A good tip, a hockey puck fits perfectly in the front jack up point where the indication marks are, clearing the plastic and the metal bump. I experimented and jacked up the front of the car with no problems. The hockey puck is a great non slip cushion. If you have a Dick's sporting goods, it is $1.99 https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...prctcpckxxxhka

Here is a fun experiment for you:

Give an engine fire a 30 second head start, and then try to put it out.

You also say "small" - that is another problem.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast