2016~2023 Any ceramic brake recommendation for 2017 CX-9 GT?

ZoomZoomRider

:
2017 Mazda CX-9
I have a 2017 CX-9 GT. I've changed all 4 pads from the original pads. The OEM pads are metalic from my understand and I know that they're pretty high performance but when they get hot, I don't like the squealing noise that they make. When I used to have it, they would make like everyday, even though I had over 70% or more brake pad life. I've taken it to my dealership a few times. Then I switched to an aftermarket ceramic pad that a small shop installed for me. I didn't even know what brand it was but it worked fine while it lasted. Now I probably have about 40% or less, not sure but it's low and it's making that low life noise. I feel it with my foot too.

So I want to replace them with another set of ceramic pads. Is there any well known brands I should have a look at?

I have about 126K km on it. Is it high enough for my rotors to be replaced? Last time I went to the dealership and complained about the brake noise, I had about 42K km on my car and they recommended me to replace all rotors and brake pads that time - quoting me $2400 CAD for the whole thing - parts + labour.

Non-performance brakes like the ones on the Cx-9 shouldn't squeal. If they do, that means they were installed incorrectly. (no grease used on caliper slides, no anti squeal compound used on the back of the brake pads, pad shims delaminated, brakes weren't throughly cleaned with a wire brush and brake cleaner etc.)

2400cad is a terrible price for brakes, I'd stay away from that dealership.

Go to rockauto.com, purchase a set of rotors and pads, then take it to your independent shop to install. Again, non-performance brakes shouldn't squeal if properly installed.

My recommendation is a mid priced rotor and Centric PQ Pro purchased from RockAuto.com and installed at a local reputable shop.

Personally I'm looking for a high performance brake pad, as I want better braking and willing to sacrifice low dust and low noise.

Non-performance brakes like the ones on the Cx-9 shouldn't squeal. If they do, that means they were installed incorrectly. (no grease used on caliper slides, no anti squeal compound used on the back of the brake pads, pad shims delaminated, brakes weren't throughly cleaned with a wire brush and brake cleaner etc.)

2400cad is a terrible price for brakes, I'd stay away from that dealership.

Go to rockauto.com, purchase a set of rotors and pads, then take it to your independent shop to install. Again, non-performance brakes shouldn't squeal if properly installed.

Yeah. It's for everything. I couldn't believe they asked me that much in maintenance cost for a one year old car.

My recommendation is a mid priced rotor and Centric PQ Pro purchased from RockAuto.com and installed at a local reputable shop.

Personally I'm looking for a high performance brake pad, as I want better braking and willing to sacrifice low dust and low noise.

Thank you guys. I'll check out that website.

Mileage is meaningless regarding brake wear. A long freeway trip may have the brakes applied 3 or 4 times. A day of city driving or mountain driving is completely different.

What matters about rotors is the amount of grooving and the remaining thickness. Some modern rotors are originally so thin (to save weight and cost) that there isn't enough material to remove to resurface the rotors and remain in spec. I don't know about ours. Rotors are a wear item and will need replacement at some point.

Why not ask that shop what pads they used for you that you liked so much?

"Ceramic" labeled pads don't tell us a lot. Many pads have varying amounts of ceramic material in them. What matters is the complete blend of materials used. I'd be surprised if the OE pads were metallic...depending on the blend of materials in them metallic pads often require a warm up before they give good performance. That's not what the usual customer wants.

Some shops, like that stealership, want to replace almost every part of the brake system. They make more money and they have fewer comebacks. The customers are pleased about everything except the cost. Several times on cars in the family fleet I've replaced only pads and fluid, and the results have been good. I've carefully inspected the calipers and rotors, determined that they had enough life to last until these pads were used up, and the job turned out good.

Centric is a good brand. Here you can read about the tech attributes of their two types of ceramic pads and two types of metalic pads: https://www.apcautotech.com/automotive-and-light-truck-search/2017/mazda/cx-9/braking-systems
And...there are several other very good brands of brake parts.

Last edited:
Mileage is meaningless regarding brake wear. A long freeway trip may have the brakes applied 3 or 4 times. A day of city driving or mountain driving is completely different.

What matters about rotors is the amount of grooving and the remaining thickness. Some modern rotors are originally so thin (to save weight and cost) that there isn't enough material to remove to resurface the rotors and remain in spec. I don't know about ours. Rotors are a wear item and will need replacement at some point.

Why not ask that shop what pads they used for you that you liked so much?

"Ceramic" labeled pads don't tell us a lot. Many pads have varying amounts of ceramic material in them. What matters is the complete blend of materials used. I'd be surprised if the OE pads were metallic...depending on the blend of materials in them metallic pads often require a warm up before they give good performance. That's not what the usual customer wants.

Some shops, like that stealership, want to replace almost every part of the brake system. They make more money and they have fewer comebacks. The customers are pleased about everything except the cost. Several times on cars in the family fleet I've replaced only pads and fluid, and the results have been good. I've carefully inspected the calipers and rotors, determined that they had enough life to last until these pads were used up, and the job turned out good.

Centric is a good brand. Here you can read about the tech attributes of their two types of ceramic pads and two types of metalic pads: https://www.apcautotech.com/automotive-and-light-truck-search/2017/mazda/cx-9/braking-systems
And...there are several other very good brands of brake parts.

No, I don't like what that small shop put on for me. I only liked that they charged me way less than the dealership, $300 CAD for parts + labour. The brakes felt different went I got out the lot right away, I had to push them harder distance to feel a slow down. I expected that ceramic brakes feel different from metallic brakes from the reading but it was quite a lot of difference in feel. Also, I feel they used the cheapest possible ceramic brakes because I was expecting they last longer than metallic but maybe I'm being greedy now. When I changed the OEMs out my odo was 42K km. Now I'm 126K km (about 84K km ish on the new brake pads). So I guess they did last much longer than the metallic OEM ones. Now, whenever I brake and roll slowly they'll make squealing noise.

Any recommendation for my driving habit specifically?

I drive 50-300 km a day depending on how much work I have. I think it's 80% city and 20% highway. I want a quiet long lasting brakes set. I brake early and I drive mostly within speed limits. So I don't need any fancy high performance brands.

Back