CR-V vs Rav4 vs CX-5: Edmunds 2019 Compact SUV Comparison Test

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
Neither the reliable but boring Rav or the oil-dilution 1.5L turbo CR-V appeal to me, but this is a pretty balanced comparison review of these loaded compact SUVs.

I'm not overall in love with the overbite of the CX-5 hood over the chicken wire grill, but as a vehicle it looks a hell of a lot better than that ugly ass CR-V and the life size Tonka erm...RAV.

As for the interior, I will admit, it's a nice step up in quality from my 2014. I was impressed. Lot's of little details they got right for sure.

I'm not overall in love with the overbite of the CX-5 hood over the chicken wire grill, but as a vehicle it looks a hell of a lot better than that ugly ass CR-V and the life size Tonka erm...RAV.

As for the interior, I will admit, it's a nice step up in quality from my 2014. I was impressed. Lots of little details they got right for sure.

I don't mind the overbite on the CX-5 at all, I prefer it to the flat look of the other two. In fact, in the video thumbnail, the front ends of the CR-V and RAV4 look quite similar in base design..

I don't mind the overbite on the CX-5 at all, I prefer it to the flat look of the other two. In fact, in the video thumbnail, the front ends of the CR-V and RAV4 look quite similar in base design..

Oh wow. Sure does.

I just like the Gen 1 grill design better, but that's just me. Overall the CX-5 looks better than those two though.

At least the CR-V looks alright (not good, just alright). Mad men run the Toyota styling department.

2019-Toyota-Avalon-front.jpg

They picked the Honda over the CX-5 because of the cargo room. The seats look more comfortable too. I test drove the base model CR-V and it had an engine vibration after the drive when it was idling. And the base model lacked the things that the base model CX-5 had. The vibration plus the CVT transmission made me not want it. Having a bad salesman didn't help their cause either, he kept turning the radio on and talking about the stereo system, probably to hide engine noise or something. I told him to turn it off a couple of times. I don't listen to the radio when I drive. The Rav4 isn't the Rav4 of old, the ones that Scotty loves. My choice is still the CX-5 even with CD.

I was surprised that MAZDA extended the front of the CX5 which brings even more weight distribution, front to rear, than the original setup. Doesn't fit with a ZOOM-ZOOM philosophy. However; it looks so much better than the CRV or Toyota. Ed

They picked the Honda over the CX-5 because of the cargo room. The seats look more comfortable too. I test drove the base model CR-V and it had an engine vibration after the drive when it was idling. And the base model lacked the things that the base model CX-5 had. The vibration plus the CVT transmission made me not want it. Having a bad salesman didn't help their cause either, he kept turning the radio on and talking about the stereo system, probably to hide engine noise or something. I told him to turn it off a couple of times. I don't listen to the radio when I drive. The Rav4 isn't the Rav4 of old, the ones that Scotty loves. My choice is still the CX-5 even with CD.
Honda CR-V LX's 2.4 L I-4 is still one of the best 4-cylinder engines on the market. Vibration is from its CVT and it supposed to be fixed 2 years ago.

CX-5 definitely has better looks than RAV4. But I'd get RAV4 than CX-5 just because CX-5 has cylinder deactivation. Otherwise I'd have my second CX-5 in our family in 2018. Fortunately I don't have a need for another vehicle right now after I found a Toyota Yaris iA / Mazda2.

Honda CR-V LX's 2.4 L I-4 is still one of the best 4-cylinder engines on the market. Vibration is from its CVT and it supposed to be fixed 2 years ago.

CX-5 definitely has better looks than RAV4. But I'd get RAV4 than CX-5 just because CX-5 has cylinder deactivation. Otherwise I'd have my second CX-5 in our family in 2018. Fortunately I don't have a need for another vehicle right now after I found a Toyota Yaris iA / Mazda2.

The CR-V was in park, it wasn't the transmission vibrating.

I was surprised that MAZDA extended the front of the CX5 which brings even more weight distribution, front to rear, than the original setup. Doesn't fit with a ZOOM-ZOOM philosophy. However; it looks so much better than the CRV or Toyota. Ed

Im curious to know those numbers if you have them.

If it's Edmunds doing the reviews, then the CR-V will win everytime.
I called them out last year via e-mail about their ratings and their review on the CR-V, with them never mentioning the oil dilution issues or lack of heat in the winter in cold climates.
The response I got from them laughable. Mega excuses and deflection on why the CR-V was number one and why they don't discuss or write about the post sale issues with these things.
It was obvious that Honda somehow has them in their pocket. Maybe Edmunds gets a kickback???

Last edited:
There was a good review of the new RAV4 in my local newspaper today. (It's published by driving.ca).
The first third of the review was dedicated to the less than stellar driving dynamics and engine noise. I felt it was pretty honest for a change.
They didn't dwell on the styling, but they seemed to confirm the complaints that I've read about on line, both here and on other sites, about the engine coarseness and stuff.

The performance driver in me dislikes that as well, but the practical driver in me knows it helps with grip in snow and ice.

Decent review of all 3 reviews. No surprise they picked the CRV, Honda pretty much nailed it in terms of all the practicality it provides(roomy rear, MPG, decent power and tons of cargo). I just hate those rear vertical tail lights and it's 'hips' near the rear axel.

I would have picked the CX-5 myself but then again I don't have kids so I don't need all the rear leg room/extra cargo space.

Honestly I think the reason why people buy so many CRV's/RAV4/Forester is the perception that these families need all the extra space they offer, when in reality most people don't cram their vehicles with crap. I guess the extra space is beneficial when you actually need it.

The CR-V was in park, it wasn't the transmission vibrating.
Not sure what happened then. But I'd say Honda 2.4L has been on the market for a long time. It's one of the best I-4's around even to this date.

Latest posts

Back