Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CX-9, All Good...except the seats

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 Grand Touring

My seats were never uncomfortable for me or my wife but have broken in and become more comfortable over time. We just returned from a 1 month, 7,000 mile road trip and both of us commented along the way about how comfortable the seats were. The car now has about 18,000 miles on it.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

Quote Originally Posted by 19CX9 View Post
    My seats were never uncomfortable for me or my wife but have broken in and become more comfortable over time. We just returned from a 1 month, 7,000 mile road trip and both of us commented along the way about how comfortable the seats were. The car now has about 18,000 miles on it.
    Damn are you me? My 2019 CX-9 also just rolled over 18k miles. I bought it February this year lol.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Snug fit is certainly that sports car feel, wider seat that doesn*t touch your sides more of a general fit for everyone.
    Used to always go with everyone size until I had a car I thought the seats were too snug. Ended up the snug seats were the best support I*ve ever experienced, found less muscle fatigue on long drives. Now I*m older in age so anything that helps prevent muscle aches is a big plus. I had read all the mixed reviews on these seats so expected to not like them, 2 minutes driving and I was a fan. Next test drive even better. All I can comment on is you just need to try out as many cars as you can to find what*s right for you.

Registered Member

2019 Maxda CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by SMT View Post
    Snug fit is certainly that sports car feel, wider seat that doesn*t touch your sides more of a general fit for everyone;
    Agree that snug seats will help with muscle fatigue, I think the problem here is the seats aren't proportioned properly for a large range of people. The bottom and hip bolsters are great. Its the top of the seat that doesn't seem to make sense. If you have any type of shoulder mass or a wider frame you will never be able to get your upper back to fully rest against the back. Maybe if you drive sitting forward and off the seat its fine, but if you want to sit back it doesn't work. I have commented on this post that my wife who is 5' 8" 135-140 pounds fits fine. She has an average female frame. The seat is objectively smaller than all of the competitor seats that I sat in. Competitors who outsell the CX-9 on a regular basis. Not saying the seats are the main reason for the gap in sales (dealer network, brand recognition, marketing budget to name a few), but they certainly aren't helping.

I imagine most people bought this car for how it handles. And yes, it handles better most segment competitors, although you won't fool anyone into thinking this is a M5. All I am saying is Mazda should either add adjustability to the bolsters, or try and figure out a less polarizing seat design. I don't think Mazda had support during long range trips in mind when they designed the seats. All signs point to them trying to make the interior feel more sedan like to be the drivers alternative for a 3 row SUV, and I believe the smaller seats are an extension of this.

2018 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Guy View Post
    Agree that snug seats will help with muscle fatigue, I think the problem here is the seats aren't proportioned properly for a large range of people. The bottom and hip bolsters are great. Its the top of the seat that doesn't seem to make sense. If you have any type of shoulder mass or a wider frame you will never be able to get your upper back to fully rest against the back. Maybe if you drive sitting forward and off the seat its fine, but if you want to sit back it doesn't work. I have commented on this post that my wife who is 5' 8" 135-140 pounds fits fine. She has an average female frame. The seat is objectively smaller than all of the competitor seats that I sat in. Competitors who outsell the CX-9 on a regular basis. Not saying the seats are the main reason for the gap in sales (dealer network, brand recognition, marketing budget to name a few), but they certainly aren't helping.

I imagine most people bought this car for how it handles. And yes, it handles better most segment competitors, although you won't fool anyone into thinking this is a M5. All I am saying is Mazda should either add adjustability to the bolsters, or try and figure out a less polarizing seat design. I don't think Mazda had support during long range trips in mind when they designed the seats. All signs point to them trying to make the interior feel more sedan like to be the drivers alternative for a 3 row SUV, and I believe the smaller seats are an extension of this.
    Guys, I hate to keep beating this dead horse, but I will. I went and drove the '18 I'm looking again today. I really paid attention to the seats. The driver's side upper bolsters, for me, are exactly as Regular Guy describes. I could feel my upper back not being able to rest comfortably BETWEEN the bolsters. It was as though my shoulder blades were hitting the bolsters and this kept my upper back from completely resting on the seat back. Though not a complete deal killer for me getting this car, it is annoying. But, being a consummate DIY person, I think there may be a solution. sm1ke posted a solution for actually putting foam on the entire seat back. I wonder if something like this might help: https://www.amazon.com/slp/chair-sup...26qbbjq9avo6hz These are for office chairs and meant to support the upper back. What are your thoughts? I really think that all that is needed is a small piece of sculpted foam that would bring the back out just a bit to disallow from the bolsters putting pressure on the shoulder blades. (Not sure if this would make it really difficult for the rest of the back to sit comfortably in the seat but it's worth a discussion. Another note: I also drove a 2017 MDX today and the seats are very comfortable, with wide upper bolsters, but it drives nowhere near as well as the CX-9 (not as quiet in the cabin nor does it handle as well)). Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I really wish the seats were better in the CX-9 for my back but everything else in the car is great.

2018 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Seat complaints have mostly been from CX-5 owners I think. You might be the first I've heard of who has issues with the CX-9 seat.

I have a Signature with the nappa leather seats, but I also drove a base model as a loaner, and aside from the leather, the seats didn't feel any different. I'm 5'8" 210 lbs, with a back of decent width for my height (43-44 shoulder to shoulder). I find that the seat bolstering is perfectly fine. I drove the base model loaner on 2 separate 1 hour trips and experienced no issues with the seat, and I've logged 6-8 hour trips (with breaks every 3-4 hours) with no issues in my Signature. IMO, for a car that handles as well as it does, the seat bolstering is welcomed as it helps to keep me from sliding around in the seat.

Have you looked into some foam backing for the center portion of the seat to make the narrow portion less pronounced? I'm thinking upholstery foam like this, cut to fit the seat back highlighted in red below.

Keep in mind that you'll want to keep the side bolsters uncovered to make sure the airbags in the seat deploy properly in the event of an accident.
    This is for Regular Guy and all of us who think the upper bolsters are too far in. I found this today. Might be worth looking into:
    https://gokhalemethod.com/blog/63012
    https://gokhalemethod.com/blog/63501
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXSGF8O

This would fit right in between the bolsters and relieve some of the pressure on the upper back. I was reflecting on how I drive in my 2005 MDX and I don't sit all the way back in the seat with my upper back pressed into the seat. I notice my upper back rides a little off of the upper seat (the bolsters are very wide so that position is pretty comfortable). On the CX-9, the bolsters come pretty far out and meet the upper back. If there was some sort of cushion between the bolsters that met the upper back, this would create an even area across the entire upper back and be much more comfortable. Take a look at those links and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by BRnPA; 09-15-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Small edit at the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12