Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally test drove a new CX-5, and was disappointed...

2019 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Bose sucks, centrepoint sucks. Where are the highs? My ,$10 bt speaker from PRC produces a wider range (literally)
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bose

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

BOSE doesn't suck. MAZDA is the one who picked out the bottom of the BOSE line for their vehicle. Ed

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

There's folks on this forum whom upgraded their speakers/tweeters to JBL/Infinity ones...essentially Harmon Audio products. I've got a JBL mono amp in my Mazda6 supplying power for my aftermarket Sub. JBL/Infinity products...especially their speakers mesh well with the Bose system due to lower OHMs impedance.
    Last edited by CX-5um; 08-24-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Finally test drove a new CX-5, and was disappointed...

Right on the money!

Bose

Highly overrated company that manufactures inferior audio components that fail to compete with equipment in a price range that undercuts many Bose products tenfold.

Paper cones, 'secret' frequency response, and wide gaps in the crossover dynamics make for muddy and empty sound with high distortion in the upper ranges coupled with limited bass response from the 'bass module,' which is little more than 3 small drivers arranged in a sequence.

No highs, no lows, must be Bose!

by Daniel Roberts November 26, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Bose sucks, centrepoint sucks. Where are the highs? My ,$10 bt speaker from PRC produces a wider range (literally)
    Because CX-5 inherited the 11-speaker Bose system from Mazda6, but Mazda eliminated 2 dash tweeters as 9-speaker Bose on gen-1 CX-5 for cost cutting reason. No wonder your high notes are missing!

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

Is the sound system the same on the CX-9?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Is the sound system the same on the CX-9?
    No. CX-9 Bose has 12 speakers but CX-5 Bose has 10. I believe CX-9 also has bigger driver on sub-woofer than 5 driver used in CX-5s sub.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    No. CX-9 Bose has 12 speakers but CX-5 Bose has 10. I believe CX-9 also has bigger driver on sub-woofer than 5* driver used in CX-5*s sub.
    Thanks, I have an appointment tomorrow to check out a CX9 and take a 2nd look at the CX5. I may have been too hasty the first time. The more research I do on other possibilities to replace my Outback the better the Mazdas look. I*m very anxious to see what updates the 2020 models will have. But for now it looks like the Signature CX5 or the Grand Touring CX9.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    There's folks on this forum whom upgraded their speakers/tweeters to JBL/Infinity ones...essentially Harmon Audio products. I've got a JBL mono amp in my Mazda6 supplying power for my aftermarket Sub. JBL/Infinity products...especially their speakers mesh well with the Bose system due to lower OHMs impedance.
    I'll have to check this out.

When I got my 2005 GMC Canyon, I went in to a car audio shop to have a power booster installed. The sales guy dissuaded me from doing that, and they installed new speakers in all 4 doors...Planet Audio up front, and I forget when else in the rear.

Man, it made all the difference in thee world.

Anyone know where there's information on which specific BOSE speakers are in each specific location in the CX-5? Or maybe the audio store will have access to that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Thanks, I have an appointment tomorrow to check out a CX9 and take a 2nd look at the CX5. I may have been too hasty the first time. The more research I do on other possibilities to replace my Outback the better the Mazdas look. I*m very anxious to see what updates the 2020 models will have. But for now it looks like the Signature CX5 or the Grand Touring CX9.
    I also suggest you to check out CX-5 GT Reserve where some say the seat is different from CX-5 Signature.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    BOSE doesn't suck. MAZDA is the one who picked out the bottom of the BOSE line for their vehicle. Ed
    Can't speak for the car radios, but BOSE is immensely overrated when it comes to sound quality on headphones. Suppose they work ok if your main concern is noise cancellation.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 85k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 GTR

I changed out the Bose speakers with Polks and the Bose amp with an Alpine on my last Mazda. I kept the original head unit and the system sounded incredible. I left the original Bose grills in the doors and people always could not believe the stock system sounded so good.��
    I*m not ready to do that yet on my 2019.

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Can't speak for the car radios, but BOSE is immensely overrated when it comes to sound quality on headphones. Suppose they work ok if your main concern is noise cancellation.
    I like my Bose QC35 for the noise cancellation and comfortable fit. But if I want better sound quality, I use my B&W C5 earbuds. Given the choice, I would not choose Bose for car audio or home audio. There are just better options out there. IMO if Mazda wants to continue with their push to a premium/luxury brand, they need to upgrade their sound systems. Maybe offer a tech package that includes a bigger screen and an upgraded sound system like Lexus' Mark Levinson, Audi's B&O or Lincoln's Revel.

2018 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Guess that goes to show that stereo opinions are all subjective!
    Exactly. Everyone's hearing and preferences are different. I own several BOSE products that sound great to me. I had an Acura TL years ago with a better sounding BOSE system - they're not all the same. The BOSE with Centerpoint 2 in the 2019 CX-5 sounds better than my 2018.

The CX-5 is a finely tuned vehicle with Mazda's selective cost-cutting measures yielding a car that's affordable and a blast to drive. Could the CX-5's BOSE sound better? Yes but at increased cost.

Another thought: What media are you bringing to test the sound systems? You should be using the same recordings and media to compare vehicles. For example, USB stick. Anyone else miss CD's for this purpose?!
    Magical Hot Wheels: http://www.htbomb.weebly.com

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

For my taste, the Bose system is perfectly adequate. After all, in a moving vehicle there's so much background and road noise that ultimate sound quality is somewhat irrelevant.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast