Finally test drove a new CX-5, and was disappointed...

Yes, and it's about as useful as the weather warnings we get. I get warnings for areas hundreds of miles away from me.

Those warnings seem to be at the state level and are neither localized nor even regionalized.

Mine tacks the word 'county" to the end of everything, so that the warnings include "the city of Charlottesville county."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...ng-the-worst-traffic-congestion/#78d7de716e36

Why there is no point for me to get a turbo and can*t live without waze.

(Although I don*t drive to work anymore)

I moved from a lifetime in Northern Virginia (8 miles outside of DC) to a very rural part of Virginia in 2010. Lived there since the early 1960s. I just retired a few years ago.

Had I still lived up north, I'd be right there with you with a NA engine.

Here, I have a 16 mile windy rural drive to my bank, with one stop sign near home and one stop sign at the other end...and literally no traffic in the middle. I only drive under 45 MPH when I go into "town," and encounter maybe 3 blocks of "traffic."

So, yeh, I get use out of my turbo.

Well, after quite a bit of internet research I had all but decided that a new CX-5 Signature was going to replace my 2011 Outback. Until I test drove one about an hour ago. Everything about the ride was fine, but I really needed the front seat to go back another inch or two. The ride was only about 5 minutes as I just wanted to check the car out and actually see one for real rather than just online. The seat in my outback goes at least 3 inches further back, which is more than i need. Unfortunately, there were no CX-9's on the lot for me to try. They had over a dozen CX-5's.

I was also unimpressed with the Bose stereo. The HK system in my 2011 Outback Limited blows it away, and I am far from an audiophile.

Other than those 2 things, I liked everything else about the car. There's enough room behind the rear seat for my needs. The rear seats would be a bit cramped, but I would say that 98% of my driving is alone or with only 1 passenger so that's a non-issue.

The CX-9 is about 20 inches longer than the CX-5, so hopefully there's a couple more inches of front seat room for the driver. I'll have to check one out. While I certainly don't need the extra size and room, the bigger gas tank actually gives the vehicle more driving range between tanks which means less visits to the gas station. I like that.

-Cuz

Just wanted to update this thread. I got to spend more time in a CX-5 and CX-9. Didn't drive them, but played with everything. The CX-9 is very big (and Very nice), if I were in need of another mini-van I would probably get a CX-9 instead. But, it didn't offer any more front leg room than the CX-5. It felt very "rich", but for now, I don't want anything bigger than my current car (Outback). I would still like more room up front than the CX-5 offers, but it's not needed. After further spec comparisons there are very few compace SUVs that offer much more leg room. The Outback is unique in that capacity. I think I would still want a better stereo, but it is not terrible. All in all, the CX-5 is really nice and it is still my top choice so far. As I add more vehicles to my cross-shopping list I notice I will have to spend more to get more than the Mazda offers. I am going to wait to see that the 2020 models offer, but as of right now, it looks like it will most likely be either a CX-5 or a Honda CRV. I was toying with the idea of an Acura, BMW, or Volvo, but those get up into the mid $40's or higher and I don't really want to spend that much.

Just wanted to update this thread. I got to spend more time in a CX-5 and CX-9. Didn't drive them, but played with everything. The CX-9 is very big (and Very nice), if I were in need of another mini-van I would probably get a CX-9 instead. But, it didn't offer any more front leg room than the CX-5. It felt very "rich", but for now, I don't want anything bigger than my current car (Outback). I would still like more room up front than the CX-5 offers, but it's not needed. After further spec comparisons there are very few compace SUVs that offer much more leg room. The Outback is unique in that capacity. I think I would still want a better stereo, but it is not terrible. All in all, the CX-5 is really nice and it is still my top choice so far. As I add more vehicles to my cross-shopping list I notice I will have to spend more to get more than the Mazda offers. I am going to wait to see that the 2020 models offer, but as of right now, it looks like it will most likely be either a CX-5 or a Honda CRV. I was toying with the idea of an Acura, BMW, or Volvo, but those get up into the mid $40's or higher and I don't really want to spend that much.

Let me throw this out for you to try the next time you test drive the CX-5. Some number of us have complained about seat comfort. The manual gives detailed seat adjustment instructions on how to achieve the "proper" driving position.

The next time you go to the dealer, ask him to pull out a manual and take the time to follow those instructions to adjust your driving position "according to Mazda," and see how that might influence your comfort behind the wheel.

It's silly, I've never had to go through such a process, but it really helped me immensely. I've always been a "sit-far-back gangsta lean" kinda driver, and this position is more forward-sitting than that. But in this car, it is a better position.

Let me throw this out for you to try the next time you test drive the CX-5. Some number of us have complained about seat comfort. The manual gives detailed seat adjustment instructions on how to achieve the "proper" driving position.

The next time you go to the dealer, ask him to pull out a manual and take the time to follow those instructions to adjust your driving position "according to Mazda," and see how that might influence your comfort behind the wheel.

It's silly, I've never had to go through such a process, but it really helped me immensely. I've always been a "sit-far-back gangsta lean" kinda driver, and this position is more forward-sitting than that. But in this car, it is a better position.

I*ve already downloaded the manual and will go through it before my next visit. I want to play more with the rest of the controls too. Thanks.

My 2018 GT-Reserve now has a little over 2100 miles on it. I adjusted the seat according to the manual. I noticed during about the first 500 miles that the seat bottom near the front was too firm and was causing some discomfort in the backs of my thighs. I recently made a 200 mile round trip that took about 2 hours each direction and had very little discomfort. Not sure if the seat construction of the Signature is the same other than the type of leather but assuming it is, the seats will break in after a few weeks.

I am going to wait to see that the 2020 models offer, but as of right now, it looks like it will most likely be either a CX-5 or a Honda CRV.
Just make sure to check and see that Honda has fixed the oil dilution problem and lack of heat in the CR-V before buying.

Just make sure to check and see that Honda has fixed the oil dilution problem and lack of heat in the CR-V before buying.

If you do a little internet sleuthing, you'll see that the dilution issue manifested itself in Civics before the CR-V was introduced.

So I'm not certain what assurances I would find comforting.

If you do a little internet sleuthing, you'll see that the dilution issue manifested itself in Civics before the CR-V was introduced.

So I'm not certain what assurances I would find comforting.

Ya, I know. I've done the "sleuthing". I only mentioned the CR-V because the previous poster referred to it, and not any other Hondas.
The problem is actually with the 1.5 litre turbo engine in general, which Honda uses in multiple vehicles. It's not just a CR-V problem, agreed.

Honda is not the company it used to be.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/crv-vibration/

Mazda has surpassed them (in terms of quality, if not sales) for quite some time.

I had not heard of the Honda vibration issue. It just keeps piling up.

Regarding sales: I often liken things to eateries.
McDonalds may not be the best of quality, but they sell billions, baby.

Marketing > Quality

I had not heard of the Honda vibration issue. It just keeps piling up.

Regarding sales: I often liken things to eateries.
McDonalds may not be the best of quality, but they sell billions, baby.

Marketing > Quality

Additionally for some people

Low price > Quality
Convenience > Quality
Indiscriminate Taste > Quality

"Just feed me and the kids quick and cheap and easy."

But if marketing wasn't worth it, they wouldn't do it. It helps. For some companies more than others.

Back