Finally test drove a new CX-5, and was disappointed...

I'm the same weight and height and have no issues with the seats. I find the Sig seats just fine but YMMV.

I test drove Subarus and absolutely hated the CVT and overall driving experience. They're "grandma-mobiles" vs "drivers cars".

You might have a longer inseam than the OP (i.e. longer legs). That might be why it works for you, but not him.

Some people are also more comfortable in specific positions, whether it be due to an ailment, their posture, or how they want to be seen by other drivers (like this guy).

Agreed, it tends to recline the seat backwards when lower down which I find uncomfortable.

Ah, I actually like the slight incline. As for the horizontal positioning, I like to be close enough to the wheel that my knees are a bit bent. I don't like sitting as far back as I can as I feel like I have less control with the pedals.

But again, that's just me. I tried sitting in a Miata and that seat was too close.

I guess I*m going to have to make another trip to the dealer and spend a bit more time in one

I've sat in all the Japanese compact SUVs. The CX-5 has the best interior and the most standard features, especially at the base price point. You can get a leather wrapped steering wheel, lane keep assist, automatic emergency braking, and LED projector headlights for under 26K selling price. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've sat in all the Japanese compact SUVs. The CX-5 has the best interior and the most standard features, especially at the base price point. You can get a leather wrapped steering wheel, lane keep assist, automatic emergency braking, and LED projector headlights for under 26K selling price. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

While true, none of that really matters if you don't like driving the vehicle because you can't get comfortable in the seat.

Sounds like you had a great test drive and were only disappointed with two things:

1. The seating position not when you're driving but rather when you're lounging in the car.
2. The BOSE stereo.

If those are deal breakers then the Outback is the car for you.

Bose sucks, centrepoint sucks. Where are the highs? My ,$10 bt speaker from PRC produces a wider range (literally)

BOSE doesn't suck. MAZDA is the one who picked out the bottom of the BOSE line for their vehicle. Ed

There's folks on this forum whom upgraded their speakers/tweeters to JBL/Infinity ones...essentially Harmon Audio products. I've got a JBL mono amp in my Mazda6 supplying power for my aftermarket Sub. JBL/Infinity products...especially their speakers mesh well with the Bose system due to lower OHMs impedance.

Last edited:
Right on the money!

Bose

Highly overrated company that manufactures inferior audio components that fail to compete with equipment in a price range that undercuts many Bose products tenfold.

Paper cones, 'secret' frequency response, and wide gaps in the crossover dynamics make for muddy and empty sound with high distortion in the upper ranges coupled with limited bass response from the 'bass module,' which is little more than 3 small drivers arranged in a sequence.

No highs, no lows, must be Bose!

by Daniel Roberts November 26, 2003

Bose sucks, centrepoint sucks. Where are the highs? My ,$10 bt speaker from PRC produces a wider range (literally)
Because CX-5 inherited the 11-speaker Bose system from Mazda6, but Mazda eliminated 2 dash tweeters as 9-speaker Bose on gen-1 CX-5 for cost cutting reason. No wonder your high notes are missing!

Is the sound system the same on the CX-9?
No. CX-9 Bose has 12 speakers but CX-5 Bose has 10. I believe CX-9 also has bigger driver on sub-woofer than 5 driver used in CX-5s sub.

No. CX-9 Bose has 12 speakers but CX-5 Bose has 10. I believe CX-9 also has bigger driver on sub-woofer than 5* driver used in CX-5*s sub.

Thanks, I have an appointment tomorrow to check out a CX9 and take a 2nd look at the CX5. I may have been too hasty the first time. The more research I do on other possibilities to replace my Outback the better the Mazdas look. I*m very anxious to see what updates the 2020 models will have. But for now it looks like the Signature CX5 or the Grand Touring CX9.

There's folks on this forum whom upgraded their speakers/tweeters to JBL/Infinity ones...essentially Harmon Audio products. I've got a JBL mono amp in my Mazda6 supplying power for my aftermarket Sub. JBL/Infinity products...especially their speakers mesh well with the Bose system due to lower OHMs impedance.

I'll have to check this out.

When I got my 2005 GMC Canyon, I went in to a car audio shop to have a power booster installed. The sales guy dissuaded me from doing that, and they installed new speakers in all 4 doors...Planet Audio up front, and I forget when else in the rear.

Man, it made all the difference in thee world.

Anyone know where there's information on which specific BOSE speakers are in each specific location in the CX-5? Or maybe the audio store will have access to that info.

Thanks, I have an appointment tomorrow to check out a CX9 and take a 2nd look at the CX5. I may have been too hasty the first time. The more research I do on other possibilities to replace my Outback the better the Mazdas look. I*m very anxious to see what updates the 2020 models will have. But for now it looks like the Signature CX5 or the Grand Touring CX9.
I also suggest you to check out CX-5 GT Reserve where some say the seat is different from CX-5 Signature.

Back