Finally test drove a new CX-5, and was disappointed...

Cuz

Contributor
Well, after quite a bit of internet research I had all but decided that a new CX-5 Signature was going to replace my 2011 Outback. Until I test drove one about an hour ago. Everything about the ride was fine, but I really needed the front seat to go back another inch or two. The ride was only about 5 minutes as I just wanted to check the car out and actually see one for real rather than just online. The seat in my outback goes at least 3 inches further back, which is more than i need. Unfortunately, there were no CX-9's on the lot for me to try. They had over a dozen CX-5's.

I was also unimpressed with the Bose stereo. The HK system in my 2011 Outback Limited blows it away, and I am far from an audiophile.

Other than those 2 things, I liked everything else about the car. There's enough room behind the rear seat for my needs. The rear seats would be a bit cramped, but I would say that 98% of my driving is alone or with only 1 passenger so that's a non-issue.

The CX-9 is about 20 inches longer than the CX-5, so hopefully there's a couple more inches of front seat room for the driver. I'll have to check one out. While I certainly don't need the extra size and room, the bigger gas tank actually gives the vehicle more driving range between tanks which means less visits to the gas station. I like that.

-Cuz

Not at all, I'm 6'0", and just under 200 lbs.
But, I spend a lot of time in my car, mostly driving, but also waiting. I like to be able to back the seat up all the way so I can stretch my legs for a bit. In my Outback, my normal driving position has the seat a few inches in from the rear most position. In the CX-5, I'm right at the rear position. I'm hopeful the CX-9 offers a little more room.

The CX-9 has the exact same front seat room as the CX-5. Don't bother looking at the Miata, either. :)

Well, after quite a bit of internet research I had all but decided that a new CX-5 Signature was going to replace my 2011 Outback. Until I test drove one about an hour ago. Everything about the ride was fine, but I really needed the front seat to go back another inch or two. The ride was only about 5 minutes as I just wanted to check the car out and actually see one for real rather than just online. The seat in my outback goes at least 3 inches further back, which is more than i need. Unfortunately, there were no CX-9's on the lot for me to try. They had over a dozen CX-5's.

I was also unimpressed with the Bose stereo. The HK system in my 2011 Outback Limited blows it away, and I am far from an audiophile.

Other than those 2 things, I liked everything else about the car. There's enough room behind the rear seat for my needs. The rear seats would be a bit cramped, but I would say that 98% of my driving is alone or with only 1 passenger so that's a non-issue.

The CX-9 is about 20 inches longer than the CX-5, so hopefully there's a couple more inches of front seat room for the driver. I'll have to check one out. While I certainly don't need the extra size and room, the bigger gas tank actually gives the vehicle more driving range between tanks which means less visits to the gas station. I like that.

-Cuz

In my experience, HK has almost always been the preferred brand compared to Bose (at least in home audio), so your comment doesn't surprise me. Since you only had 5 minutes with the car, were you able to play with the audio settings at all? In my CX-9, I turned off Audiopilot and Centerpoint and played with the fade to get the sound where I want it. You can also add some sound-deadening material to the spare-mounted subwoofer to get rid of some of the muddy bass. I haven't done that yet, but others who have say that it noticeably improves the sound quality.

One thing I will say about the CX-9 is that the front seats (and the 2nd row) have plenty of fore-aft seat adjustment, but it's a heavier, larger vehicle with the same engine. It has a bigger tank, but mileage is worse, so you'd probably end up visiting the pumps just as often as I do.

I would strongly suggest taking a longer test drive to see if you can adapt to the new seat. You could also try raising the seat a bit to get that extra inch of space (as long as you still have enough headroom).

If the seat is seat high it doesn*t go far back but it goes about another three inches in the lowered position.

But, I spend a lot of time in my car, mostly driving, but also waiting. I like to be able to back the seat up all the way so I can stretch my legs for a bit. In my Outback, my normal driving position has the seat a few inches in from the rear most position. In the CX-5, I'm right at the rear position. I'm hopeful the CX-9 offers a little more room.
Each person built differently and the feel on seat comfort is different too. We have seen plenty of complaints on seat for CX-5 Sig, so I'm not surprised your complaint. If you have tried the seat on CX-5 Signature and don't feel comfortable, there's no other way but try another car or different models. You may also try a CX-5 GT Reserve as the seat seems to build a little differently before you test-drive a CX-9.

As for Bose system, yeah it's a mediocre audio system on sound quality,

The CX-9 has the exact same front seat room as the CX-5. Don't bother looking at the Miata, either. :)

That's a bummer, I figured that since it was 20 inches longer maybe an inch or two of that would be up front for the driver.

OP should test drive a new Outback.

I don't care for the new Outback because I don't like the huge screen and lack of buttons. I also don't like the idea of a camera mounted facing me to make sure I'm paying attention while driving. That's a bit creepy.

One thing I will say about the CX-9 is that the front seats (and the 2nd row) have plenty of fore-aft seat adjustment, but it's a heavier, larger vehicle with the same engine. It has a bigger tank, but mileage is worse, so you'd probably end up visiting the pumps just as often as I do.

Even with the worse gas mileage, the extra tank size extends the cruising range to 50+ miles over the CX-5. Could be even more if mostly highway driving which is what I do.

If the seat is seat high it doesn*t go far back but it goes about another three inches in the lowered position.

I'll have to spend more time playing with the seat settings when I eventually go back to check on the CX-9.

The CX-5 has a specific way to setup the seat for maximum comfort. That said, I thought the newer leather seats were pretty uncomfortable.

-Cuz

The seat doesn't affect me as I'm only 5'11, but I agree, Bose sucks, HK is good stuff. My 2010 Jeep GC had HK, and I miss it.

For 2020 you can say the interior of a Subaru Outback no longer looks like a cheap POS, but you still get a CVT and the miserable driving experience it provides in the name of slightly increased efficiency. The CVT does actually perform better with the turbo model, but comes with a big price jump.

It's not a great looking vehicle (IMO).

2020 Outback
subaru-outback-2020-03-angle--exterior--ocean--rear--silver.jpg

Last edited:
In my experience, HK has almost always been the preferred brand compared to Bose (at least in home audio), so your comment doesn't surprise me. Since you only had 5 minutes with the car, were you able to play with the audio settings at all?

Really? Have HK in my BMW and hate it because you have to turn the volume up very high to hear any detail. I loved the Bose in my old CX-7, especially with Centerpoint. Guess that goes to show that stereo opinions are all subjective!

If you*re agnostic on performance, check out the top trim Tiguan with R line package. It was very spacious and the second most luxurious looking crossover out there after the CX-5 in this price range, imo. Remaining 2019*s have the long warranty.

I think Mazda designed the front seat for driving, probably didn't consider its comfort when not driving.

I agree the sound is only adequate, and I'm not that into music.

I'm 6', 215 lbs. But I actually don't like my seat all the way back or even close to all the way back. But that's just me.

Agreed, it tends to recline the seat backwards when lower down which I find uncomfortable.

We're all different. I'm 6'4" and drive my wife's CX-5 with the seat all the way back, as I do with most vehicles, and I'm very comfortable. I bring the seat-back forward, to a point that is, again, "comfortable" (common sense). :)

I'm the same weight and height and have no issues with the seats. I find the Sig seats just fine but YMMV.

I test drove Subarus and absolutely hated the CVT and overall driving experience. They're "grandma-mobiles" vs "drivers cars".

Back