Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Sprint Booster V3 install guide

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
This is a DIY installation guide for the Sprint Booster on the 2016+ CX-9 (P/N SBMA1033S). I decided to document this process to complement the instructions that come with the Sprint Booster because I encountered a couple of things that the included instructions do not mention.

This process was documented/photographed by myself, using my crappy cellphone camera and my 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature as the "demo" vehicle. This DIY is provided as a learning aid and reference guide. I assume no responsibility for any warranties this process may void, or damages you may inflict on yourself or your vehicle.

What you'll need:

- A flat head screwdriver
- 10mm socket or wrench
- Box cutter

1. Unlock the driver's side door and open it, then put the key fob down somewhere far away from the car. I think as long as the fob is outside of the proximity sensor range, you should be fine. The instructions state that this is done to let the diagnostic system cycle, and prevents a CEL from being triggered. It says the system takes up to 10 minutes to cycle, but you can continue with the install process instead of waiting.

2. Examine the Sprint Booster control unit (LCD display). On the side, there is a small switch for toggling between A/T (automatic transmission) and M/T (manual transmission). Ensure that the switch is in the A/T position.

3. Remove the floor mat. Using a flat head screwdriver, pop the screw covers on the pedal assembly off. Loosen and remove the screws with the 10mm socket or wrench.

attachment.php

4. The pedal assembly can now be pulled out a bit so you can see the harness connector.

5. Ensure that at least 10 minutes has passed since Step 1. If so, press down on the tab and slide the connector off of the pedal assembly.

attachment.php

6. At this point, you'll notice that the connector is taped to a clip that is anchored in a metal plate. I found that I wasn't able to reinstall the pedal assembly with the Sprint Booster because I was limited by the taped connector, so I used a box cutter to carefully remove the tape.

attachment.php

attachment.php

7. Install the Sprint Booster module between the pedal assembly and the connector removed in the previous step.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SB1.jpg
    SB1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 911
  • SB2.jpg
    SB2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 891
  • SB3.jpg
    SB3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 902
  • SB4.jpg
    SB4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 895
  • SB5.jpg
    SB5.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 896
8. Run the wire for the control unit. In my case, I chose to run the wire behind the carpeted panel, up into the steering column. Plug the control unit into the Sprint Booster module.

attachment.php

9. Reinstall the pedal assembly. I bunched everything up as shown to ensure that the pedal would have enough room underneath it to bolt down securely.

attachment.php

attachment.php

10. Start the car and make sure that there is no CEL or error code.

You can press the silver button on the control unit to switch between 3 modes: Off, Sport (green) and Race (red). You can also adjust sensitivity of each mode by pressing the left ot right buttons on the controller to toggle between 1 (low sensitivity) and 9 (high sensitivity). According to the manual, Sport mode provides improved response by up to 30%, while Race mode provides up to 60% improved response.

Personally, I think I'll keep it at Sport 7 or 8 for the times that I'm driving with my wife. The difference is subtle enough that my wife wouldn't notice it while driving, but it's just enough for me to notice. When I'm on my own, I'll probably set it to Race 6-9, depending on how spicy I'm feeling, lol. So far I haven't gone past Race 7.

The SB also has a Valet mode and a Pedal Lock mode. The Valet mode reduces throttle sensitivity by 55, 65 or 75%, and the Pedal Lock mode disables throttle input altogether. These modes are enabled/disabled by setting a 3-digit PIN. I won't go into detail with these because I haven't used them yet, but the included instructions explain these features and show how to set them up.

Attachments

• SB6.jpg
    SB6.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 906
  • SB7.jpg
    SB7.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 866
  • SB8.jpg
    SB8.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 863
Last edited:
Video testing done:

It's hard to see the improvement during the dead stop acceleration, but the difference is quite noticeable when accelerating at speed.

Wish I had a better video editor, but hopefully you guys can see the difference. During "hard acceleration", I floored the pedal from a dead stop. During "moderate acceleration", I applied approximately 25-30% throttle when cruising with engine RPM hovering around 1500 RPM.

TSC was turned off for these tests. Sprint Booster set to "Race 7".

Last edited:
Cool. Any further impressions? I'm thinking about taking the plunge but it's a fair amount of money.
Also,where do you place the controller? Maybe i missed the picture. Thanks.

Cool. Any further impressions? I'm thinking about taking the plunge but it's a fair amount of money.
Also,where do you place the controller? Maybe i missed the picture. Thanks.

You didn't miss anything, lol. I haven't actually mounted the controller anywhere yet, it's currently just sitting in the storage cubby in front of the shift lever. There's a small "vent" in the area beside the steering column, I'm thinking about sticking it right under that with some 3M double-sided tape.

Driving impressions are very positive. The improved throttle response makes it more fun to drive. I find that throttle lag is reduced quite a bit, but your impressions may vary depending on your style of driving. I still plan to get some video footage showing the differences with the Sprint Booster active, but it's hard to do it on my own (and still be safe doing it). I may have to jerry-rig a camera to the headrest or something with some duct tape, haha.

Last edited:
I pulled out my old SJ5000X Elite cam and the chest harness and did a little testing over the weekend. Video link can be found in post #3. When you see the video comparisons, it doesn't look like much, but I can assure you that you can feel the improved throttle response when you're actually behind the wheel.

I think I'm going to try to capture what it's like in normal driving. After I was done recording, I found out that you can visibly notice the difference when you jab the throttle at speed. With the SB off, the RPMs barely move, but with the SB on, it's much, much more responsive.

Last edited:
Video testing done:

It's hard to see the improvement during the dead stop acceleration, but the difference is quite noticeable when accelerating at speed.

Wish I had a better video editor, but hopefully you guys can see the difference. During "hard acceleration", I floored the pedal from a dead stop. During "moderate acceleration", I applied approximately 25-30% throttle when cruising with engine RPM hovering around 1500 RPM.

Video testing done:

Thanks nice vid

Back