Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto dimming side view mirrors?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by lowincash View Post
    I got the blue mirrors, they're okay. I like the look and they do reduce glare. Only thing I don't like is that it's not very hydrophobic. When it's foggy outside it seems to collect moisture a bit more than the standard mirrors. I just have to turn on the heated mirrors and it'll go away but it's just not what I had expected.

Not a really good shot but you can kinda see the blue tinted mirror.

Thanks for the picture and feedback. My husband thinks the blue tint looks cool. After having auto-dimming side view mirrors in the past, I am just surprised it isn't offered on the Signature line but do on the Miata.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Oh yeah here's an older pic when I first got it put on...sorry kinda tiny pic.

Thanks for the picture. As long as they reduce glare, that is what I am looking for.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

I actually don't remember the model number, I got them at the dealer and just told them I got blind spot monitoring and heated mirrors on my car. Dealer was about to charge $80 to replace the mirror but tech that was working on my car just snapped it on for free.
    I am assuming the part number includes both side view mirrors?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    This blue tinted hydrophilic exterior mirrors, Mazda part KC9E-V3-660 (for blind spot monitoring and heated mirrors) apparently is an OEM accessary and can be had at any Mazda dealers or online. Installation seems to be easy too.
    You are exactly correct.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    I'm confused. What does the blue tinted mirror set have to do with self-dimming? Seems like it would be full-time dimming. Wouldn't some window tint film do the same thing?
    Actually, I don't have a problem with the existing side mirrors. When I get tail-gated by some d-bag in a jacked-up pickup with illegal lights, it is my rear-view mirror (not the side mirrors) that needs dimming - whether auto or the old fashioned lever. If the d-bag is in either side lane, I just momentarily slow-down and let him pass. Then he's someone else's problem.
    The auto dimming feature is great on side view mirrors for that exact purpose. After having them on previous cars, it was just surprising this car didn't have them. Just looking to see if the OEM part helps reduce the glare.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Apparently you have never had this feature on your vehicle before. My 2000 BMW 528i has this feature and I like it. Yeah it's not as useful as auto-dimming inner rear-view mirror, but it's a legit useful feature to have.

It's not doing "auto-dimming" like the inner mirror, but it's also different from putting on some tint film. You just have to experience it to know.
    I am well aware of the auto dimming side view mirrors. My previous German luxury SUV had them and I loved them. Just surprising that Mazda, who is trying to compete with the features of luxury brands, would not have these inexpensive feature on a car that has all the safety features. Just looking for something to calm down the glare.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonWessie View Post
    I am well aware of the auto dimming side view mirrors. My previous German luxury SUV had them and I loved them. Just surprising that Mazda, who is trying to compete with the features of luxury brands, would not have these inexpensive feature on a car that has all the safety features. Just looking for something to calm down the glare.
    Even some current Subarus have them. No luxury required.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

My '16 Mazda6 GT has it on the driver side only.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Seems easy enough to add, especially with parts available from the dealer. I can see the issue with Nissans providing individual TPMS readouts and Mazdas not, but this hardly seems to be worth complaining about.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read through the entire post. I guess those blue tinted mirrors would work to reduce glare, but it's not a solution for auto-dimming mirrors. I think that they'll become an option (or maybe standard) on Mazdas as they try to elbow their way into the luxury market. Maybe when they are offered on future models, they can be retrofitted to older models.

2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.

Quote Originally Posted by gm43514 View Post
    Is that the Mazda OEM rear bumper trim (w/o hitch) or did you find it online? Looks really good.
    Can you share a complete rear picture, if possible?
    I'm planning on getting a similar one, something in minimalistic chrome finish. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Yea that's the OEM one, it's not chrome it's a bright silver paint I think. Here's the rear...

2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonWessie View Post
    Thanks for the picture and feedback. My husband thinks the blue tint looks cool. After having auto-dimming side view mirrors in the past, I am just surprised it isn't offered on the Signature line but do on the Miata.
    I like the look as well, especially contrasting the white car. I've wanted it when I had my 2014 mazda 3 which was also white but costs way too much to get from Japan, it wasn't offered in the US. I think mazda told me this was the first vehicle in their line up that they're offering the blue mirror as an accessory here.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Is there an option to put in auto-dimming side mirrors or only blue-tint?

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Deep Crystal Blue Mica

I really wish these were available for the 2016 model

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Auto dimming side view mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by mutualcore View Post
    Is there an option to put in auto-dimming side mirrors or only blue-tint?
    They’re blue tinted hydrophilic exterior mirrors from OEM accessory. They work in different way as auto-dimming inside rear-view mirror. But they’re effective to reduce the glare.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Auto dimming side view mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee0121 View Post
    I really wish these were available for the 2016 model
    Yes, these blue tinted hydrophilic exterior mirrors are available for gen-1 CX-5. I*ve seen people selling them on eBay and AliExpress. Just make sure they come with a pair for left-hand drive US CX-5, not for right-hand drive Japanese domestic market.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast