Auto dimming side view mirrors?

ClemsonWessie

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
We just purchased a 2019 CX-5 Signature and just realized after a night time drive the car does not have auto dimming side view mirrors. What the heck? With all the safety features in their top line, why not have auto dimming side view mirrors. Makes you question who is thinking their product lines. I know they make them because my husband has them on his 2019 Mazda MX-5. Any hoo...............has anyone swapped out the side view mirrors for the blue tinted hydrophilic exterior mirrors, Mazda part KC9E-V3-660 (for blind spot monitoring and heated mirrors)? If so, your thoughts - good or bad?

Surprised the signature does not have it. You sure you didn't disable it?

Surprised the signature does not have it. You sure you didn't disable it?
No top-of-line CX-5 Sig doesn't have auto dimming or blue tinted side view mirrors.

To OP, the part no. seems to be correct for your 2019 CX-5. Make sure it comes with a pair for left-hand drive US CX-5.

I got the blue mirrors, they're okay. I like the look and they do reduce glare. Only thing I don't like is that it's not very hydrophobic. When it's foggy outside it seems to collect moisture a bit more than the standard mirrors. I just have to turn on the heated mirrors and it'll go away but it's just not what I had expected.

Not a really good shot but you can kinda see the blue tinted mirror.

48043474777_3a7e1bba8f_b.jpg

Oh yeah here's an older pic when I first got it put on...sorry kinda tiny pic.

48596523291_c7afe57060_o.jpg
Does the part number, KC9E-V3-660, correct for both mirrors and left-hand drive 2019 CX-5? And did you put them on by yourself?

Does the part number, KC9E-V3-660, correct for both mirrors and left-hand drive 2019 CX-5? And did you put them on by yourself?

I actually don't remember the model number, I got them at the dealer and just told them I got blind spot monitoring and heated mirrors on my car. Dealer was about to charge $80 to replace the mirror but tech that was working on my car just snapped it on for free.

I actually don't remember the model number, I got them at the dealer and just told them I got blind spot monitoring and heated mirrors on my car. Dealer was about to charge $80 to replace the mirror but tech that was working on my car just snapped it on for free.
This blue tinted hydrophilic exterior mirrors, Mazda part KC9E-V3-660 (for blind spot monitoring and heated mirrors) apparently is an OEM accessary and can be had at any Mazda dealers or online. Installation seems to be easy too.

I'm confused. What does the blue tinted mirror set have to do with self-dimming? Seems like it would be full-time dimming. Wouldn't some window tint film do the same thing?
Actually, I don't have a problem with the existing side mirrors. When I get tail-gated by some d-bag in a jacked-up pickup with illegal lights, it is my rear-view mirror (not the side mirrors) that needs dimming - whether auto or the old fashioned lever. If the d-bag is in either side lane, I just momentarily slow-down and let him pass. Then he's someone else's problem.

Last edited:
I got the blue mirrors, they're okay. I like the look and they do reduce glare. Only thing I don't like is that it's not very hydrophobic. When it's foggy outside it seems to collect moisture a bit more than the standard mirrors. I just have to turn on the heated mirrors and it'll go away but it's just not what I had expected.

Is that the Mazda OEM rear bumper trim (w/o hitch) or did you find it online? Looks really good.
Can you share a complete rear picture, if possible?
I'm planning on getting a similar one, something in minimalistic chrome finish. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm confused. What does the blue tinted mirror set have to do with self-dimming? Seems like it would be full-time dimming. Wouldn't some tint film do the same thing?
Actually, I don't have a problem with the existing side mirrors. When I get tail-gated by some d-bag in a jacked-up pickup with illegal lights, it is my rear-view mirror (not the side mirrors) that needs dimming - whether auto or the old fashioned lever. If the d-bag is in either side lane, I just momentarily slow-down and let him pass. Then he's someone else's problem.
Apparently you have never had this feature on your vehicle before. My 2000 BMW 528i has this feature and I like it. Yeah it's not as useful as auto-dimming inner rear-view mirror, but it's a legit useful feature to have.

It's not doing "auto-dimming" like the inner mirror, but it's also different from putting on some tint film. You just have to experience it to know.

Thanks for the picture and feedback. My husband thinks the blue tint looks cool. After having auto-dimming side view mirrors in the past, I am just surprised it isn't offered on the Signature line but do on the Miata.

I am assuming the part number includes both side view mirrors?

This blue tinted hydrophilic exterior mirrors, Mazda part KC9E-V3-660 (for blind spot monitoring and heated mirrors) apparently is an OEM accessary and can be had at any Mazda dealers or online. Installation seems to be easy too.

You are exactly correct.

I'm confused. What does the blue tinted mirror set have to do with self-dimming? Seems like it would be full-time dimming. Wouldn't some window tint film do the same thing?

The auto dimming feature is great on side view mirrors for that exact purpose. After having them on previous cars, it was just surprising this car didn't have them. Just looking to see if the OEM part helps reduce the glare.

Back